Semiauto that will cycle subsonic loads? | Carolina Shooters Club

Semiauto that will cycle subsonic loads?

Discussion in 'NFA/ Tax Stamp required' started by shadowlid, Sep 3, 2014.

1. shadowlid

shadowlid Registered Member

Well this could go in alot of different sections but seeing on how its to do with a suppressor then I think current owners would be more knowledgeable. I got me a 30cal can and use it for multiple rifles my ar-15, 22lr, and for my 308 win. Rem 700 I have not got my 308win threaded yet but going to as soon as I find a gun smith that I trust to do it. But one of my friends has offered to take me hog hunting it will be later in the year. I want a semi-auto setup that can cycle subsonic loads in 30cal. Or .223rem I really want to stay away from the wild cat rounds if possible, I have read about the 300 Blkout and it seems to be a good round but thats just another set of dies, and lots of work to make the brass or expensive to buy the brass. I would like to find a semi auto 308win that would cycle subsonic loads but its not looking good.

If anyone has any info on a 308win that will cycle subsonic loads let me know. Or a .223 that will cycle subsonic loads.

Thanks all,

Johnathan

2. 11B CIB

11B CIB Taking a break, eh Club Subscribed

For a semi auto rifle (besides 300 BO) to cycle subsonic rounds, you either need highly expensive specialized ammo or heavy modification to the rifle.

Anything besides handrolled subsonic ammo will be expensive, whether it's .308, .223 (EmCon stands out but I may be wrong), or 300BO. My advice, either get used to hand cycling your semi auto, buy a bolt gun, or build a Blackout AR

3. jkupp2000

jkupp2000 Sponsor

This ^^^

An AR10 of good quality is not going to be cheap, .223 will still have a sonic pop, and blackout is the best choice but hand loading or shooting Remington 220gr is really the only option.

4. shadowlid

shadowlid Registered Member

Thats what i thought well i guess im gonna get me a 300Blkout then lol. Thanks guys!

5. jkupp2000

jkupp2000 Sponsor

Good luck and if you need anymore info feel free to ask. I've been loading .300blkout for a while now and there are many others on here that do as well.

6. ROCKKRAWLER4X4

ROCKKRAWLER4X4 Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Not tryin to jump in on someone else post but what are u using for powder for ur subsonic loads.ive tried several and tend to get cycling issues

7. Wahoo95

Wahoo95 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Good decision.... you'll be happier in the end. Also keep in mind the only difference between 223 and 300bo are the barrel so worse case if your money is tight you can simply swap out a barrel on your AR for the hunt.

More important is getting a barrel from a quality manufacturer who understands the BO cartridge and the proper gas port sizes/locations. Otherwise you may end up with one that has cycling issues.
    What barrel are you using? The most common powders for 300bo are Winchester 296, IMR 4227, H110, A1680, and Lil' gun and there is solid load data out there but you have to have proper gas port to have reliable Supersonic and Subsonic reliability.

8. ROCKKRAWLER4X4

I have a 16" barrel and I've been using 4227. But sometimes it want eject the round with subs no subs cycle fine. Are u recommending an adjustable gas block

9. jkupp2000

jkupp2000 Sponsor

Right now I have 110 vmax over H110 when I get some 220grs that will change. I was loading for a full size barrel and now I'm shooting subs with a Saker 7.62 on a 10.5 SBR with a pistol gas port.

10. tsconver

tsconver Sponsor Club Subscribed

What 308 can are you using on a 22LR, 22 is dirty and will pollute/plug up a 308 can over time, No one recommends using sealed rifle cans on 22s for that reason.

11. Wahoo95

You have a 16" barrel made by who? Are your ejection issues with and without the silencer? Yes, sounds like you may need an adjustable gas block.

12. lucky13bullets

lucky13bullets Lifetime Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

if it is a carbine length gas system, about the only powder that cycled mine reliably was aa1680, putting an adjustable gas block on it will only cut the gas down, and depending on what it is doing, you may need more gas to cycle it fully.

if you can describe what it is actually doing, we can help better

also, we need to know

gas system length
    buffer weight
    buffer spring
    gas port size
    bullet weight you are loading

all these variables can affect cycling

13. jkupp2000

jkupp2000 Sponsor

14. ROCKKRAWLER4X4

Technical Information:
    Length: 16"
    Material: Stainless Steel
    Contour: Medium
    Chamber: 300 AAC Blackout
    Twist Rate: 1 in 8"
    Chrome Lined: No
    Finish: Matte Stainless
    M4 Feed Ramps: Yes
    Muzzle Thread Pattern: 5/8"-24
    Gas Port Location: Carbine
    Exterior Diameter at Gas Port: 0.750"

This s specs off website it's an ar stoner barrel. It will cycle perfectly with any thing sonic but with sub sonic it's like the bolt carrier does cycle all the way back it try's to eject but it tends to get the case stuck between bolt and ejection port in upper reciver. Suppressed it cycles the problem only happens when not suppressed. Not really a huge deal as I mostly only shoot subs when suppressed. My original intent when posting was just to see what other people were loading sub rounds with.

15. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

My Wilson 8" Stainless would not cycle subs, even with aa can.
    Had the gas port opened to .110.
    It already had a syrac gas block. It cycles bunny farts now. Best of both worlds.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  16. Wahoo95

The extra back pressure from the can is needed to get it to cycle Subs. Not all that uncommon with brands who don't know the proper gas port dimensions. AAC has it figured out but didn't share that info freely.