Sending my Glock back to the factory again | Carolina Shooters Club

Sending my Glock back to the factory again

Discussion in 'Handguns, Pistol Shooting' started by Charlie-AKA, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Charlie-AKA

Charlie-AKA Registered Member

My Glock 23 has this problem where it's ejecting the brass all scraped up and sometimes with a piece torn off. (I tried changing the recoil spring but that didn't help)
    It also was giving me light primer strikes, some of them high toward the edge of the primer.
    I called Glock and they said send it in, so I sent it to them a little over two weeks ago. The gun arrived back here on Thursday with nothing but a packing slip inside it saying "INSPECTED, UPGRADE, MEETS FACTORY SPECS, TESTED OK" no explanation of what was wrong with it or what parts they may have changed. There was also a plastic bag with three fired casings which were dented and scratched :001_huh:
    So I took it to the range today and after 200 rounds I'd had 4 or 5 light primer strikes and all the brass coming out of it was scraped up, just like before. In the last 20 rounds fired the slide failed to return to battery three times (this was not due to limp wristing, I was very careful about that!). I changed recoil springs and it did it again! That is not good. Somehow I don't think them boys in Smyrna fixed my gun.
    I had always heard awesome things about Glock's customer service. I'm going to call them and send the gun back again. Has anyone else ever had to send their gun back to Glock twice? At what point do they just replace your gun? With all the trouble I've had with this one Glock I don't even feel like it's a safe gun to shoot.
    Btw, I've shot lots of other Glocks with no problems whatsoever, I love them, but I got a bad one when I bought this one.

2. Braveheart

Braveheart Member

Did you replace the extractor spring? Shooting factory ammo? When you say scratched, vertically to the bullet or horizontally? On the primer end or bullet end where it feeds?

3. Charlie-AKA

Shooting factory ammo, and the scratch is horizontal going from the mouth about halfway down, usually triangular. Sometimes the piece that is scratched is completely torn off. It's obviously hitting the ejection port on the way out I think.
    I never replaced the extractor spring. It looks like they may have replaced the extractor because it looks kind of new but I can't really tell, and there was no note or anything saying they did. People claim that Glock always replaces all the springs when they are sent a gun, but who knows if they did on mine, they certainly didn't say.
    Oh and I forgot to mention they replaced the disconnector, I know this because the old one was in a plastic baggie in the gun case. But I don't know what the disconnector would have to do with any of this, maybe they thought it was causing the light primer strikes? Seems like that's something that could potentially be fixed simply by changing the striker spring.

4. 613jmm

613jmm U. S. Military Club Subscribed

Can you post pictures of the bad cases? To me it sounds like you have bad ammo. Especially if it is something like Blazer or something else with a bad batch of brass.

If that ammo caused you to send the gun in, then you kept shooting the same ammo when it came back, it would seem like the problem is the gun, when it really isn't.

5. 613jmm

Make sure you post pictures of the head stamp so we can see if the ammo is A-Merc.

6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Light primer strick and faulures cycle could be reloading issues from brand of primers to settings on reloading equipment. Shoot several hundred rounds of factory ammo from a good company and see what problems you still have. PHOTOS needed of brass for any one to help there. I think all my pistol scratch brass top to bottom to some extent.

7. ChadC

ChadC New Member

The worst that could happen to the brass by it hitting the ejection port is a ding. Have you looked in the chamber to see if there are any burrs or anything in there? The ejection port certainly won't be tearing pieces of brass off.

Sounds like the chamber has a nice big burr or something in it. That doesn't really explain light primer strikes though unless the chamber is just really bad and out of spec causing too much head space.

8. toddje

toddje Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

That's a very odd malfunction, and even more odd that you sent it to glock and it came back broken.

9. Charlie-AKA

I'm pretty sure its not the ammo because it's been doing it with Federal Champion, Federal HST, and Fiocchi. Then the fired cases they included when they sent back with the gun had a Speer headstamp on them.
    I know about Amerc, that would be problem right there! Unfortunately though I know to avoid Amerc and when I see it, kill it with fire! LOL
    I also have a Glock 22 gen 3 that I shoot the same ammo with and I've done a side by side test of the two and the G23 chewed up the brass while the G22 didn't.
    Pics to follow...

10. JACMAN

JACMAN New Member

Go check out Glocktalk and there is page after page of failures and people sending them back with the same response from Glock. If it is gen 3 not much done but they will give you a gen 4. Recently bought a gen 3 19 and it is dead accurate but ejections are all over and hitting me on the head or back into my glasses or hat. I went shooting today and had one go down the back of my shirt. Damn that burned. Not sure what Im gonna do with mine yet.

11. Charlie-AKA

Yeah I'm definitely sending mine back again and hopefully they'll be willing to replace it, this G23 has been nothing but problems. That's the main thing I'm wondering by starting this thread, is if anyone else here has had Glock fix their problem for free or replace their gun. I'm not one of those people who feels entitled to something for nothing, but part of the reason I got a Glock was the lifetime warranty.

12. Charlie-AKA

13. Socom Elite

Socom Elite Member

Those dents could be from stepping on the casings after fired. Is your gun factory? Meaning you haven't put in a different spring or anything.

At the end of the day who gives a **** if the casings are dented. That doesn't affect function. On the other hand the failure to return to battery does and that's an issue that needs to be fixed. Try a lighter grain bullet and see if anything changes.

Could you have over oiled it or not enough oil. Dirty or clean?

14. Charlie-AKA

Nah I don't either if the cases are dented or scratched like the ones in the pic but there were several that were so deformed they actually had a bite taken out of them and a few that had the mouth of the case almost split. The bits of brass that are scraped off of each cartridge contribute to fouling up my gun with little specks of brass dust that accumulates like crazy after just a couple hundred rounds. Guns just aren't supposed to do that.
    The gun dings the brass like that when it's dirty or clean, freshly lubed or relatively dry. I'm a pretty experienced shooter and my best shooting buddy is a certified Glock armorer, and he can't figure it out either.
    Like I said, it would have helped if Glock had actually written down what they had done with the gun, if they had replaced parts or not, etc, so I could rule certain things out as far as what the problem is.
    Then there is the failure to return to battery issue and the light primer strike issue. So that's three things wrong with the gun that are still wrong with it after being returned to Glock. I'm calling them tomorrow during business hours to see what they'll say and I'll make sure to follow up on this post and let you guys know how things turned out.

15. Full Safe

Full Safe Registered Member

I have a Gen 2 G19 that dose the same thing with the case as the pic. I bought it around 1990 and sent it back to Glock and they returned it and it was doing the same thing. The only issues I had was stovepipes 1 or 2 every 50 rounds.
    I have 4 other Glocks and none of them dent the case like that. I did find that some ammo worked better that others. All ammo had a dent to the case but some did not stovepipe. WWB and Fed champ would stovepipe but Blazer Alu.
    and Fed 9BP would work fine without stovepipes.
    I would ask Glock about changing out the gun.

16. Tank

Tank New Member

17. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye New Member

And now that you have that off your chest, care to add anything constructive to help the OP out?

To the OP, other than the federal and Fiocchi have you tried any others? Just curious. On the light primer strikes, could you still see the rectangle shape on the primer?

18. ecucmgt

ecucmgt Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your problems. I used to tell my friends that Glocks were the Honda Accord of the gun world. Not overly sexy but dam near bullet proof. There weren't as many cool parts to soup them up like a 1911. But if you want a simply reliable gun they are good. I bought a SIG GSR 1911. I sent it back to SIG twice with detailed pictures and description of the actual jam along with photos of my stack of 16 different magazines I used. I explained to them that I had 5 other 1911's and could work those guns with the same magazines and ammo and had no trouble. Each time they told me they ran a box of 50 with no problems. The second time they even put a box top in to prove it. They were fast on turn around and friendly but did not seem to do anything but maybe fire a box of speer lawman 230gr hardball. I traded that SIG in after that. I later read on 1911.org that SIG knew they had problems with the first batch of 1911's but sent them out to market anyway.

As far as glock goes. Your gun may be in spec. The dented cases are just from violent ejection. The 40 is much more powerful than the 9mm but uses the same recoil spring. The cases getting dented is not really a problem unless you want to reload or you get stovepipes. The ejector could be a little longer and causing a violent flip.

The shaving brass sounds like the big issue. Look at the barrel chamber with a magnifying glass. Take the barrel out and slide an unfired case in and see if you feel roughness. Look at your magazine feedlips. Look at the breechface of the slide.
    For the light primer strikes, have you removed the pin and cleaned the channel. A little gunk in there will rob energy from the firing pin. The only time I have trouble with my glocks is when they get really dirty from lots of firing followed by not cleaning then lots of firing again.

19. toddje

toddje Well-Known Member

Theory one: Ya know, it just occurred to me that an AR I used to have did that to .223 brass when it was very new. Is your glock a Gen 4? I wonder if your recoil spring+new gun with tight tolerances is slowing the slide down enough that they hit something on the way out...

Another theory: A light primer strike at the top of the primer would lead me to think that the gun was not completely in battery - as the barrel tilts down when it comes out of battery. And this may just mean that if its slightly out of battery that the primer can't reach all the way even if its coming forward at full speed.

By the way, check out post #13 here for some ideas...
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1345003

20. 1911Tuner

1911Tuner Staff

The dents shown in the pictures are coming from the bottom of the ejection port. The cases are ejecting at 3 O'Clock...or trying to eject even lower...and hitting the port wall on the way out. As long as they make it out of the port, it's a non-issue. If you reload, the sizing die will iron it out.

Sometimes when they hit the bottom of the port, they bounce up into the path of the front of the port and straight at your noggin...which ain't good.

21. Have gun-will travel

Have gun-will travel Member

I'm not an expert on Glock's by no means but you said you also have a Glock 22.Take the Glock 22 barrel and put it in the 23 and shoot it.I have seen this done before ,If the brass comes out without scratches then the chamber of the 23 barrel is fubared.I talked to my neighbor who is a Glock armorer and he said your extractor is bad if it is taking pieces of the brass.He also said to try the barrel swap.The extractor can be tuned to extract in different angle.If you need to have it looked at I can put you in touch with him.He is in Greensboro this week teaching.

22. Charlie-AKA

The problem was probably the recoil spring, but first let me explain
    First, sigfan thank you for the offer, I might take you up on it. My main shooting buddy is a Glock armorer too so he's been running a million theories past me. I am going to try switching the G22 barrel with the G23 and see what happens.
    And thanks for all the suggestions guys.
    So here's the update folks:
    I called Glock and the guy looked up on his computer what they did with the gun. They basically replaced every part on the gun except the frame, slide, barrel, and sights! He was reading off the list of stuff and I know what most of the 30 something parts of the gun are and it was basically everything. So the problem is either the barrel, slide, or frame.
    He said go to the range and try out some different ammo brands and then check the brass, so I happily obliged. I would say the problem is nearly solved. I shot about 15 different types of .40 factory ammo (it was fun!) and saved all the brass. After examination I found that it scraped Federal brass the most, who knows why.
    Here's the thing: Since Glock hadn't included any info about what they replaced in the package containing my gun when they sent it back to me, I had been under the impression they had not replaced the factory recoil spring so when I got the gun back I immediately put in an aftermarket recoil spring. That may have been exacerbating the problem. When the Glock guy told me the recoil spring they sent me back with the gun was new, I put that one in. That made the problem a lot better.
    I'm still seeing scrapes and dents in the brass (particularly in what seemed like the hotter types of ammo) but they are more mild.
    In the 300 rounds I shot through it when I was testing the different brands of ammo I didn't have any malfunctions!
    I love Glocks and they are probably my overall favorite handgun, but guns are still just tools and any tool can break, no matter how high quality it is. Like I said, my G22 is perfect. I think Glock just cranks out a few bad ones now and then, they're making thousands of them per week.
    I'll keep you guys posted on my next round of tests. I am still obsessed with figuring out how to fix the scraping of the brass.

23. toddje

toddje Well-Known Member

I'm guessing no more light primer strikes with a factory recoil spring then?

24. Charlie-AKA

I didn't have any light primer strikes when I was using the brand new Glock factory recoil spring. I'm guessing that maybe the gun was slightly out of battery when I was having those light primer strikes?
    An earlier replier asked if the light primer strikes still had the rectangular shaped imprint on the primer, a glock signature. They did not, just light circular dents, very light, so the primer was not getting struck full force I'm guessing.

25. Redhat

Redhat Registered Member

Not a Glock expert but typically handguns have a mechanism to keep them from being able to fire out of battery...don't Glocks?

Also, you didn't lubricate inside the firing pin channel did you?

26. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye New Member

The reason I asked about the dent was that I ran across some problems with Remington ammo that had the primer set too deep and caused what appeared to be a light strike on the primer leaving only a little dimple and not the rectangle.

If you still have any of the light strike rounds, look close at the primer to see if it's recessed or flush with the base of the cartridge. That would be an ammo problem and Rem will make it right. They did for me.

27. ecucmgt

ecucmgt Registered Member

What Charlie AKA is describing is not firing out of battery. It is more of the difference between 65% lockup and 100 lockup. Still closed and locked brech but the barrel no at the top of it's lockup. The recoil spring was not causing the barrel cam to fully engage 100% of it's available lockup.

28. fuquay

fuquay Registered Member

Glock Trouble

I had one to blow up in my face 6 years ago....The Glock Tech. told me at that time that Federal Red Box ammo could NOT be fired in any of there guns. He said they had had many to blow up when this ammo was fired in them. That happened to be what I was using. No where in any manual did it tell me not to shoot that ammo however. All they did for me was repair the gun and give me a couple of stickers and extend the warrenty. The Company's official position was different then the tech's as well when I spoke to Corp. They denied that any of there guns had or would blow up. Since then I have found out of over a dozen that blew up in the same fashion. The extractor explodes out of the gun and really makes a dangerous mess. I have shot the gun since with other ammo with no problems.

29. 613jmm

Ummm. That is out of battery. If it isn't 100% locked up, it is out of battery.

30. 613jmm

There was a bad batch of Federal ammo a few years back. Since I am sure Federal did not intentionally make bad ammo, but it just happened to be having failures in certain guns, why the hell would Glock write a special manual just to tell you not to shoot that ammo in your gun?

If every manufacturer had to rewrite their owner's manual each time a bad batch of ammo was made, they would have to reprint the manuals every other week, and each one would be about 1000 pages long by now.