Shooting Range Suggestions Near Fearrington Village? | Carolina Shooters Club

Shooting Range Suggestions Near Fearrington Village?

Discussion in 'Trainers, Training Facilities and Ranges' started by mikeheel, Feb 5, 2020.

1. mikeheel

mikeheel Registered Member

I moved to the Chatham County side of Chapel Hill (about a mile from Fearrington Village) a little bit ago and would like to connect with a range that isn't such a long haul. I've traditionally gone to Central Carolina Gun Club in Haw River/Burlington or Sir Walter Gun Club in Creedmoor/Oxford, but both are about an hour from me now.

As I've looked around, it appears there are maybe 3 options within 35 minutes from me. In the order I came across them:

1. Durham Pistol and Rifle Club. Fees look good. I think this is technically the closest one. This looks pretty nice online, but it appears they still have a pretty long wait. The calendar doesn't show any open house dates.
    2. Lee County Wildlife Club. I don't think I know any members (says you must be sponsored by a member), and I can't tell much about the facilities online. In some ways, it makes me think of a smaller SWGC. The calendar link is password protected, so I couldn't access it.
    3. Woody's Hunting and Rifle Club. The posts I saw look pretty old, so I'm curious how the club is going now. Membership looks a little more steep than other options, but it looks pretty good online. I didn't see a calendar on the site.

Any other suggestions?

Anyone know of open house dates for any of the above? I don't think I know a member at any of them, but I'd love to check them out before I tried to join.

My shooting is about 75% pistol, 20% rifle, and 5% shotgun.

If it helps, I'm also an NRA RSO.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

2. G19NC

G19NC Registered Member

Also move to Chatham County last month. Also looking for a close range for pistol and PCC. Post or PM if you find something and I will do the same.

3. JimP42

JimP42 Bitter Clinger Club Subscribed

Get on the DPRC waiting list now. Worst that could happen is you decide not to join when you come up (probably 2 years). It’s a great range.

4. redclay7

redclay7 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

You folks might also try San-Lee Gun Club due south in Sanford...they are off Colon Rd. near the 421 bypass. I used to be
    a member there for some years, but my job and other factors made it less attractive for me. I don't have any contact info, so
    you might ask around or do your chosen browser....redclay7

mikeheel likes this.
  5. mikeheel

I did apply at DPRC, which is still my first choice, but the waiting list is very real. Still waiting, although I've heard they may be ramping up membership a bit. I doubt I'll hear back before late this year at the earliest

I can't find a website at all for San-Lee. On Google Earth, it looks small, and I've read folks saying guests are not welcome. The distance isn't bad for me, though. Any personal experience?

6. mikeheel

To my surprise, DPRC sent me an invite for their October new member orientation, so I am happily a member now. It is a very nice club, and I really like it. The only minor gripe I have is I'm not a huge fan of the way we do guests; but with as many members as we have, I suppose it makes sense.