Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started shooting rimfire last season (Caswell and DPRC) and wanted to check out the H20 matches- mostly because they sounded a bit different than the typical ruger rimfire setup.

Well, this weekend turned out to be the perfect opportunity. Caswell had a match at noon, but the 10AM start at H20 made it more attractive due to some other afternoon activities I had planned.

Well, it was definitely a different challenge!

All the targets were set at the same distance (15-20 yds I think).
8 stages, 3 strings per stage.
Another unique item was you picked either a pistol OR a rifle to run the whole match.
I brought both, so I just paid twice and shot each stage first with pistol, then with rifle.... several folks did the same.
7 of the 8 stages had 10 targets to engage! That meant ANY misses became costly... definitely a different strategy needed!

In the end, it was a bit challenging to shoot pistol and indeed, the vast majority of shooters only shot rifle. The combination of longer range, no misses allowed and some smaller targets mixed in- made it more enjoyable (for me) to shoot rifle. Having said that- i LOVE shooting rimfore rifle- so its a great option! Next time I may leave the pistol at home and bring my semi rifle and maybe my lever gun just for fun!

It turned to be just exactly what I wanted: a slightly different challenge, done before 1PM, and a lot of fun!

Highly recommended!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I have got to make the next one. Something is always coming up that has kept me from attending these. I don't know if I will shoot the first time I visit. In .22 all I have is a Marlin 60 that I haven't shot in years and a single action revolver.

·
Banned
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dont even think twice about it! Just come out.

We had a guy in our group shooting a CZ bolt action! All good fun. One of the better shooters at the caswell/dprc matches uses a .22 pump action and a revolver (btw he still kicks many of the other shooters asses).

Alternately, Id be happy to let you use an extra rifle or pistol (as several others would as well) - its a pretty friendly crowd. Bring a box of federal bulk and have at it! :)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
How's the learning curve for one of these matches? I would probably come watch a few to see how it works before jumping in. I guess I'm asking...if you having shot in one, how easy/difficult is it to get the hang of?

·
Banned
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How's the learning curve for one of these matches? I would probably come watch a few to see how it works before jumping in. I guess I'm asking...if you having shot in one, how easy/difficult is it to get the hang of?
Learning curve to be able to come out and have fun: nearly zero
Learning curve to get really good at it: lol- tell you when I get there :)

I was planning to go watch the first match I went to- I was quickly talked into just shooting- and Im glad I did! I would have been kicking myself if Id gone to "watch" - becuase I would have missed out on the fun.

You need the following:
ANY .22 rimfire (mist bring a semiauto- but not required)
eyes and ears
a box of .22

Everything else is pretty much optional. However a FEW things will help you jump in faster:
1. extra mags (if you run a semi). 5 would be ideal, but at least 2-3 will speed things immensely
2. ammo that will cycle reliable in YOUR gun. Nothing kills the fun like a stoppage every string.

Bring eyes and ears

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Learning curve to be able to come out and have fun: nearly zero
Learning curve to get really good at it: lol- tell you when I get there :)

I was planning to go watch the first match I went to- I was quickly talked into just shooting- and Im glad I did! I would have been kicking myself if Id gone to "watch" - becuase I would have missed out on the fun.

You need the following:
ANY .22 rimfire (mist bring a semiauto- but not required)
eyes and ears
a box of .22

Everything else is pretty much optional. However a FEW things will help you jump in faster:
1. extra mags (if you run a semi). 5 would be ideal, but at least 2-3 will speed things immensely
2. ammo that will cycle reliable in YOUR gun. Nothing kills the fun like a stoppage every string.

Bring eyes and ears
Thank you very much for all the tips and information. I'm going to pay attention to the schedule and see what works for me.

·
Terminator terminator
3,922 Posts
We had a guy in our group shooting a CZ bolt action!
;guntoot

I know FNG already answered this but I would like to say that you should just jump right in man. Don't do like me and only bring a 10 round mag, bring at least 3.

Don't let FNG's modesty get to you though...he finished in first ;chain

Congrats man ;toast

·
Banned
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank you very much for all the tips and information. I'm going to pay attention to the schedule and see what works for me.
Central NC?

Well, here's 3 places to look:
http://caswellranch.com/RugerRimfire.aspx
Caswell runs rimfire matches every 1st and 4th Saturday at noon. They are in Prospect Hill, NC

http://dprc.org/?page_id=101
DPRC runs matches every 2nd Saturday, starting at 9am. They are in Haw River, NC
btw- DPRC has several videos posted- take a look- will give you a good idea of how they run.

http://www.h2ofowlfarmsnc.com
H20 runs rimfire every 4th Saturday, starting in AM, They are in Dunn, NC

http://zombieshootersassociation.com/match-dates-info/calendar/
Zombie Shooters Assoc runs rimfire matches- usually every month
The last few have been at the new range at Central Carolina (near Burlington).
These are a bit different- shooting targets- not steel- but VERY fun!

I've (finally) shot at all 4 places and I can honestly tell you- they are all fantastic hosts and run great events! You also will find the other shooters will bend over backwards to help new folks out. Its pretty common to find folks loaning extra mags (or helping to load yours!), loaning guns, etc. Like a dummy, I had my red dot go dead on my first match, 1st stage at DPRC. Immediately 2 other shooters pulled spare batteries from their bags to help and then refused my attempt to give them a couple bucks.

However, check your ego at the door. You may have your tactical .22 outshot by some crazy guy with a pump gun or get beat by a 11-yr old girl wielding a deadly accurate 10-22. :D

·
Banned
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
has anyone seen results yet from this past Saturday's match??

·
Former member
3,807 Posts
February 25 Rimfire Match Rifle Semi Auto Scores: Steven Frye 104.70; Paul Lowe 106.41; Brandon Johnson 118.29; Mike Reynolds 119.28; Garry Myatt 132.70; Randy Horne 147.84; Justin Patterson 154.48; Curtis Beaver 154.71; Bob Patterson 158.28; Brian Johnson 163.67; Scott Gossage 173.67; Andy Watkins 180.96; Grey Varner 200.88; Jacob Johnson 245.05; John Watkins 280.44; Alvis Oldham 296.79 - Rifle Single Scores: Tyler Adams 200.79

February 25 Rimfire Match Pistol Scores: Hugh Jackson 273.36; Clark Cutler 389.80 and Martha Mason 474.74

·
Banned
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Mike.

Disappointed Ive still not received the full scores from H2O.... I thought they usually emailed them out- maybe not anymore?

·
Former member
3,807 Posts
Steve would be the one to ask...if he has them can you fwd to me...I'd like to see stage by stage as well...

Thanks Mike.

Disappointed Ive still not received the full scores from H2O.... I thought they usually emailed them out- maybe not anymore?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.