Shot timer recommendations and experience? | Carolina Shooters Club

Shot timer recommendations and experience?

Discussion in 'Shooting Sports & Competitions' started by ForumSurfer, Jul 19, 2016.

1. ForumSurfer

ForumSurfer Ar Hugger. Carpe diem per guttur . Club Subscribed

One thing is for certain...cell phone apps inevitably leave me frustrated as they seem to all fall short with a critical flaw somewhere. I'm not very like-able so I shoot alone often.

There is also the problem that all shot timer apps work better if you have a friend helping you. Then there is also the fact that my touch screen goes bananas if I drip sweat on it. At the range...gym...wherever I may be, I end up trying to hit one little button when I suddenly drip sweat on it. Then I go from hitting one button to opening up a Rick Astley on youtube and accidentally dialing an ex or some crap. I'd prefer not to drain my battery, particularly while shooting alone.

So there you go, have it it. A simple question. What do have that you love/hate or what model did you discover you wanted after spending $100+ on a different one?

Thanks in advance!

Edited to add: Please share if you use yours indoors or outdoors as I shoot mostly outdoors. I'd rather not get anything delicate.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  2. bigfelipe

bigfelipe I'm told I'm pretty awesome... Lifetime Member

Pact Club or Pocket Pro. The CED 7000 is nice but the buttons break. I've used a number of them over the years. I think I like the pocket pro best for the functionality/money...

ForumSurfer likes this.
  3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

My CED 7000 has held up well.
    6-7 years old now. Battery Still lasts all day plus half the next.

If you do par time often, the CED7000 is very handy with all the par functions it has.
    I'd buy it again.

ForumSurfer likes this.
  4. JamesLFlowers

JamesLFlowers Well-Known Member

Personally, I am not a fan of the CEDs. Their "beep" is very high pitched and often times hard to hear. At least for me personally. I like some of the older timers that have a loud "BLAAAAAAAAAA" which I find easier to hear when heavily plugged. However, they are great timers functionally.

ForumSurfer likes this.
  5. ForumSurfer

Does it hold up to outdoor usage in the rain and such?

6. bigfelipe

Yeah, but you take care of your stuff. Most of us throw our timers in an ammo can 10 times a day when we use them... :p

Seriously though, like half the ones I've seen the top buttons don't work anymore, and the screens black out badly in the heat. Functionally they're cool. Also, if you forgot to charge it you're SOL. I'd rather swap a 9v and be back in business.

7. ForumSurfer

Yeah...i will not take care of it. It stands a good chance of getting tossed in an ammo can, on a table, to a buddy, dropped and liquid getting spilled on it because I'm clumsy.

8. bigfelipe

get a pocket pro or pact then and put a piece of electric tape under the battery before you install it.(cuts out the rattle)

9. Blueridge

Blueridge Registered Member

There is a AAA battery accessory for the CED 7000 that plugs into the bottom of the device. I have it, but I have never had to use it.

That said I like the PocketPro for use at matches. I use my CED 7000 when I practice at the range.

bigfelipe likes this.
  10. ForumSurfer

Appreciate that advice. Even if I set out to be gentle, within a month or two I'll be tossing it around and then tossing around the range back it's stored in with mags and other stuff bouncing around.

bigfelipe likes this.
  11. Gtownwrench

Gtownwrench Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

12. ForumSurfer

That could work for me on ar15 reloads. I need practice.

13. bigfelipe

Gtownwrench likes this.
  14. Beef15

Beef15 Well-Known Member

Pocket Pro II has been working great for me. Haven't had it in the rain. Don't baby it though.
    I don't shoot indoors.
    Have used a lot of old Pocket Pros at matches, guessing they're pretty solid. Have used them in the rain without issue.

15. FlatFender

FlatFender Not Here Anymore. Club Subscribed

Pocket Pro 2. It's just the right size to hold in your hand or clip to your belt. Good beep. Lots of options for volume, display, etc. I have one, and I wouldn't trade it for any other shot timer out there.

I despise the CED7000. Small, hard to read in the sunlight, I always forget to hit review between shooters so I long beep them, etc. For the same money as a PP2, I think the PP2 is the better buy.

NCAV8TOR and Gtownwrench like this.