size of pistol in your get home bag? | Page 2 | Carolina Shooters Club

size of pistol in your get home bag?

Discussion in 'Survival & Preparedness' started by jayne, Dec 3, 2016.

?

size of your get home bag gun?

1. Pocket/mousegun (every oz counts when you have to walk 20 miles)

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. Concealable midsize (function trumps weight)

17 vote(s)
    21.0%
  3. Full size (I'm walking, it's getting real and OC keeps honest people honest)

22 vote(s)
    27.2%
  4. Nothing (already covered by my EDC and I don't leave home without it)

38 vote(s)
    46.9%
  1. Qball50

Qball50 Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

If I'm at my office, which is about 4 miles as the crow flies from the house, I'll be carrying my Marlin 44 mag lever action along with my Coonan .357 mag if driving isn't an option for whatever reason. Being 4 miles away isn't going to require me to carry much more.

To me, if you're routinely much further away from home, and it's always the same locale, such as your place of employment, I think knowing ahead of time where some natural sources of fresh drinkable water is located is a pretty good idea.

2. RJT

RJT Club Subscribed Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

Soldier in a war zone? Have you seen the recent riots lately? Looks like a war zone to me. Dont get me wrong I would try and avoid being in the area at all cost but I will be prepared none the less if I do get caught up in an interstate shutdown by a bunch of thugs trying to drag people out of their cars and beat them. ;)

3. trcubed

trcubed well...bye Lifetime Member

Water brings up another important point in this discussion...

I'm 7 miles by the proverbial crow path, 9 miles by the road from the office to home base. About halfway into that 9 miles, I am forced to cross a bridge over a river. Other than the usual 'fatal funnel' aspect of a bridge, what other items should concern us? What other options are available?

Secondary route is roughly the same distance, but uses a pedestrian/greenway footbridge to cross the river ~1/4 mile upstream. Water here is roughly the same depth as the first option.

Tertiary route is 3 miles farther from office to home, includes a highway bridge crossing over the same river, but an even deeper section. If the first or second options turn out to be impassable, getting to this option requires about a four mile backtrack, pushing this route to around 16 miles.

Options and alternatives?

4. NoKimberDave

NoKimberDave Off to Greener Pastures Club Subscribed

I can tell you something I haven't seen:

I have never, ever, seen anyone using their handgun to fight their way back to their rifle at a riot.

And, if people were trying to drag me out of a car, I'd want my handgun. Just my opinion man!

5. jayne

jayne Apprentice Goat Wrangler Club Subscribed

I have, and in our case it was easy. Back when we were in CA the wife worked up in SF proper and took the train/subway in to the city for about 50 minutes from her car. With earthquakes a real threat there she agreed it would be a good plan to have a backpack in her office with food/water/clothes/tools/etc because she was so far away and on her own 100%. Now that she drives to work, that bag has migrated to the car.

It's always easier IMHO to make an "earthquake kit" (or "hurricane kit" or "ice storm kit") than it does some sort of bug out/in/whatever bag for those who don't share our mindset.

car0linab0y, NoKimberDave and trcubed like this.
  6. ikarus1

ikarus1 Well-Known Member

Im calling Uber and requesting a 4wd. We will get home

Qball50 likes this.
  7. Qball50

Here's one Terry. Just keep one of these at the office as long as your parking lot is long enough to get a good run.:D

Scott88 likes this.
  8. bmmechan

bmmechan Registered Member

I agree 100%. . . After I built my wife her car bag, there was the blizzard in Raleigh last year that had people stranded for 10 hrs and more, basically over night. . . she quickly saw the value in what I was doing. And to the surprise of her friends, which none have, they all thought it was a good idea too and she gave me props again. So she doesn't really argue with me about it anymore, and even if she did she now knows I will stand my ground with it and not budge. Even when we travel to see family I always have a small basic bag of EDC+ equipment and it never fails when she hears stories about people caught in a blackout, on the side of the road, stuck in weather she usually gives me this look like "I still think your are crazy. . . but not as crazy" LOL!!!!

9. RJT

RJT Club Subscribed Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

Roger that!! Run what you brung my man and good luck!

NoKimberDave likes this.
  10. trcubed

trcubed well...bye Lifetime Member

That's freaky, Dave. One of those flew over the house not 20 minutes ago.

Was that you?? :)

Qball50 likes this.
  11. Qball50

Not me. But I've been wanting to add that to the list of things I've done. They had several flying around at Oshkosh this past summer. One of these days.......:)

12. 11B CIB

11B CIB Taking a break, eh Club Subscribed

In my GHB, I have two extra mags and a hundred extra rounds of pistol ammo

If I'm going more than just outside my normal day to day routine, I'll take a long gun. Basically, I look at a destination and imagine the walk home and how I'd want to be able to outfit myself and go from there. Backwards planning

Although I did have something happen last week that made me want to have a rifle in the car 24x7, though

My aunt had a stroke Saturday before last, and the following Wednesday (11/30) my dad called saying that if I wasn't able to come down that day to visit, I probably wouldn't see her while she was still alive. So,I scrambled out of work that morning and spent the rest of the day in Florence, which is almost two hours away from home and definitely would have resulted in me packing a long gun had I more notice. While I did have my 3 day pack (blowout med kit, MREs, water, etc...) I felt really under gunned

Hammer21B likes this.
  13. AsheMtnMan

AsheMtnMan Member

Getting back to the original question, a FS 9mm in the "get home" bag and a 9mm pocket pistol both with extra magazines. Unfortunately, in an urban environment a rifle draws unwanted attention IMO. Obviously everyone's situation is different. The last thing that I want to do is be "challenged" by others when trying to make my way home.

14. ERE99

ERE99 Member

Research "poncho raft" and learn to build one. I learned it years ago as a ROTC cadet in lake Hartwell, SC, on a cold and windy March day. I've done it a couple of times since just to see if I remember how.
    (Side note, lol.... The instructor who taught us was a former instructor at the mountain phase of the US Army Ranger school. It snowed later that day and as he was back in the office on campus editing a video tape he took of the training, the Ltc in charge of Clemson's ROTC program accused him of "cadet abuse" lol. Good training back then that's stuck with me ever since)
    Getting home from work wouldn't be too hard for me, but if bugout became a reality I've got to cross either a lake or the river below the dam.
    http://www.readyforanythingnow.com/Survival Manual/17.htm

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  15. soreshoulder

soreshoulder Retired Staff Member Lifetime Member

G17 in mine, 9mm will be the easiest caliber to "pick up" along the way, IMO.

16. rintintin68

rintintin68 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

During the week I'm carrying my Glock 26 with extended mag. I also keep two spare mags, IFAK, Leatherman, Flashlight in my laptop case. On the weekends around town I carry a Glock 43 with spare mag. in a small camelback. If things get messy I can just swing the backpack around to the front and draw from the outer pocket. I'm lucky I work about a mile from home and often times even ride my mountain bike to work.

My wife does have a backpack in her car stocked out with what she needs to get home or worse case spend a night outside somewhere. Years ago during a bad ice storm she got stuck on the roadway due to backed up cars. She pulled off and parked at a church, took out her backpack and walked about 3 miles to an elderly ladies home that we knew and she spent the night there. Due to road conditions and gridlock it was best case scenario. In a worse case breakdown scenario I would have jumped on the ATV and taken greenways over to pick her up.

17. 45/70hunter

45/70hunter Registered Member

This thread got me thinking. I always have a pistol and 2 extra mags with me, a knife, and a zipper hoody as a spare coat. A Kel Tec PMR30 22 mag with 3 extra mags may be about perfect. If things can't be sorted out with 120 rounds of 22 magnum things are beyond bad!!

18. Patriot1

Patriot1 Registered Member

I really like the accuracy, light recoil, light weight, high cap, simplicity, and total reliability and lethality of my 5.7. A forever pistol in my collection.

5782889F-C92F-4A71-A955-26AA0EE18404.jpeg

19. SMinNC27215

SMinNC27215 Law Enforcement

I'm retired with a second career where I work from home. Done. Lol.

.....But seriously, I do maintain a GHB in the car, and BOB at home which support my EDC's (a S&W Shield 9 & 642). Spare ammo, medical stuff, small useful gear, etc etc.

.....Long guns available if I feel the need.