Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this next month I have some vacation time to use and I'm meeting up with my dad. Also let me say in planning all of this I have been trash talking, calling him out, and making fun of him and saying I'm going to out shoot him. Now before we get any further he has been a policeman for close to 25 years including about 10 on SWAT is an accomplished competitive shooter (in his younger days) and this is going to be a battle of pistols.
So through all of the trash talking all he replies is "Better bring your money to the line," and "Start saving your quarters." Now this is the same man who taught me how to shoot and has probably put more bullets down range than I have ever seen. So I'm scheming every little bit of advantage that I may be able to do.
The first one is working up a low recoil round for my glock 34. And this is why I posted this here and he doesn't reload. What sort of loads would you recommend for something like this. I've got about 2 weeks to work something up and I'll spend time tweeking the load to really work for me and my gun, but I need a starting place.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Berry's 147 grain jacketed bullet, 3.2-3.4 grains of Hodgdon Titegroup. It's pretty much the standard IDPA load for low recoil. Lots of master class shooters are using it, myself included.

If you can't swing the Berry's jacketed bullets in that time, a 124 grain lead bullet with 3.8 grains should be fine as well.

Obviously you can make some substitutions but those are pretty low recoiling rounds.

·
Staff
7,750 Posts
Berry's 147 grain jacketed bullet, 3.2-3.4 grains of Hodgdon Titegroup. It's pretty much the standard IDPA load for low recoil. Lots of master class shooters are using it, myself included.

If you can't swing the Berry's jacketed bullets in that time, a 124 grain lead bullet with 3.8 grains should be fine as well.

Obviously you can make some substitutions but those are pretty low recoiling rounds.
Curious...can you shoot lead in the G34?

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Sounds like you just better get to shooting whatever you currently use....NEVER change the game plan the day before the game.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Curious...can you shoot lead in the G34?
I shoot lead in the Glocks all the time, the 34 included. I have often heard (for years) that Glocks and lead do not mix. I'm pretty convinced that it is just one of those gun myths. Here's a long THR thread on the debate from 2005 and it had been going on for years before then. I could be wrong but I gotta be honest, I shoot what is cheap and I've got literally tens of thousands of rounds of lead through a variety of Glocks. Can't say that I've ever had an issue with it.

·
Staff
7,750 Posts
I shoot lead in the Glocks all the time, the 34 included. I have often heard (for years) that Glocks and lead do not mix. I'm pretty convinced that it is just one of those gun myths. Here's a long THR thread on the debate from 2005 and it had been going on for years before then. I could be wrong but I gotta be honest, I shoot what is cheap and I've got literally tens of thousands of rounds of lead through a variety of Glocks. Can't say that I've ever had an issue with it.
My G34 OM only says..."Glock does not recommend the use of unjacketed lead ammunition"...but I'd always heard it was a no-no.

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
Yeah, you better start practicing.
From what you have said, I'm putting money on your dad regardless of what you load. :D :D

·
Registered
291 Posts
Ah!....ok.
Yea, you can find a reference in some Glock manuals that states something to the effect of "No liability whatsoever can be accepted if ammunition in bad condition or other than ammunition manufactured according to CIP and SAAMI standards as well as reloaded ammunition is used." Some Glock manuals have no such reference.

In any event, I view it as pretty much a standard disclaimer. Glock doesn't want to accept responsibility for any reloads, often construed to be lead. The simple fact is that while reloading is common, knowing how to reload is not as common. One can create problems with lead, especially if they are making their own (hardness issues and lube) and not using a reputable manufacturer from a source such as some of our forum sponsors.

Whether or not there is a specific problem with lead in a Glock is probably going to continue to be debated. In my humble experience (and I shoot a lot) I just haven't seen it.

....and for what it's worth OP, I'd get to practicing. There is no substitute for skill.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yeah, you better start practicing.
From what you have said, I'm putting money on your dad regardless of what you load. :D :D
Well with all of that being sad he's gotten a little old and he wears coke bottle glasses so I'm thinking of coming up with a drill that will swing in my favor. I'll try and get in his head the whole time and get him to drop a mag on his reload or something. I know how to push the geezer's buttons.

And I'm not dismissing practice by any means. I'm practicing mag changes in the living room in between postings and I'll be sending more ammo down range for sure.

·
Original Gangsta
2,275 Posts
If he's using a semi you'd have a large advantage in accuracy by going with a 6 inch revolver. The Glock is only going to be so accurate. I own a G24 (basically same as the 34 but the 24 has a bit longer barrel); but it won't hold a candle to a S&W 686 as far as accuracy is concerned. I've also always heard not to fire lead out of a hexagonally rifled barrel.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Maybe you can hire a look alike professional shooter to shoot in your place
Perhaps a sabotage is in order like move his sights a bit
Or ya can give him blanks to shoot
I'm just saying my money is on your old man since your looking for a finicky to beat him :p

All in all good luck

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.