Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Great gesture... But proves that NYC cops are paid too much. Some of us can barely afford the nesecities, let alone $75 on new boots for someone that can get them through chairity. Nice of the man though.

·
Dog Defender
2,974 Posts
Great gesture... But proves that NYC cops are paid too much. Some of us can barely afford the nesecities, let alone $75 on new boots for someone that can get them through chairity. Nice of the man though.
They actually start at almost the exact same pay as Charmeck PD. However The cost of living (for housing) is more than double up there. I lived/worked in NYC years ago and at $40k I was living a peasants life. No joke. $1.6k per month for a 1 bedroom apartment in Harlem. I was locked into a leased car payment for a car that I did not need and the insurance payment was more than the car. You have to be making a $100k to live decent in NYC. Sure, you can do it on a lot less but you will be living in an apartment smaller than a college dorm room in a bad neighborhood.

They are paying over $4 for fuel and cigs are almost $13 per pack! Everything is crazy expensive. Good thing they outlawed large soft-drinks, nobody could afford them! Its nuts trying to live and work there.

In NC, you can live a decent standard of living on that same paycheck.

G

·
I was feeling the story until the line about the homeless guy saying he had NEVER owned a pair of shoes before. Sorry, but that reeks of utter BS to me to generate sympathy.

·
Premium Member
6,780 Posts
34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 for I was ahungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee ahungered, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

·
Registered
528 Posts
And scumbags still exist.

The man was identified over the weekend as Jeffrey Hillman, formerly of South Plainfield, New Jersey. When he was spotted North of Times Square -- about 30 blocks away from the Skechers store where Officer Larry DePrimo dropped $75 for a pair of boots -- Hillman's new boots were gone.

"Those shoes are hidden. They are worth a lot of money," Hillman told the New York Times. "I could lose my life."

"I was put on YouTube, I was put on everything without permission. What do I get?" he continued. "This went around the world, and I want a piece of the pie."
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/12/homeless_boot_r.php

The homeless man who was given a pair of boots by a kindhearted New York City police officer apparently isn't homeless. According to the New York Daily News, Jeffrey Hillman, 54, has an apartment in the Bronx that is paid for via a combination of rent vouchers, Social Security, and military veteran benefits.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/barefoot-homeless-man-not-actually-homeless-175054937.html

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Yea I saw that also. There is a reason he is homeless. He is a douche. I have little sympathy for homeless. Pick your ass up and get a job. The damn Mexicans can do it illegally. What is preventing you from doing it legally? O yea that is right the free apartment, food and assistance.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
NYPD are paid peanuts for what they deal with. Starting pay is around 45K and in NY its next to impossible to live on that. It was a nice gesture on the officers part.

·
Premium Member
9,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Called it. Pretty much everyone begging is a scammer, it's a fact of life.
Yeah. I saw this thread was active again. I opened it and saw Vinegar Joe's post. I thought to myself, "Ya know Dave, you better respond by posting that NCLivingBrit was spot on by calling BS on this story."

Now, first of all, I don't give money to anyone on the street. I help many organizations in many different ways. But I never give money to someone standing on a street corner. I have put gas in someone's car who was in a tight spot before on more than one occasion. I have purchased some food for someone that I knew through common sense was obviously hungry. I have helped many people find some assistance with life issues they were facing by referring them to the proper organizations that deal with those kind of issues.

Second of all, I am not naive. What I am right now is extremely pissed at myself, and at the stupid [email protected]# scumbag in this story that received the boots. I'm pissed at myself for embarrassingly starting a "heart warming" thread about an act of kindness that turned out to be yet another example of how you can't believe anything, and I mean anything, in the news anymore.

I wasted a few minutes of my time posting a story on here about some @!%&head fooling, not only a good samaritan and a large percentage of people in this country, but me. And it certainly pisses me off to no end................ End of Rant!!!

G

·
Yeah. I saw this thread was active again. I opened it and saw Vinegar Joe's post. I thought to myself, "Ya know Dave, you better respond by posting that NCLivingBrit was spot on by calling BS on this story."

Now, first of all, I don't give money to anyone on the street. I help many organizations in many different ways. But I never give money to someone standing on a street corner. I have put gas in someone's car who was in a tight spot before on more than one occasion. I have purchased some food for someone that I knew through common sense was obviously hungry. I have helped many people find some assistance with life issues they were facing by referring them to the proper organizations that deal with those kind of issues.

Second of all, I am not naive. What I am right now is extremely pissed at myself, and at the stupid [email protected]# scumbag in this story that received the boots. I'm pissed at myself for embarrassingly starting a "heart warming" thread about an act of kindness that turned out to be yet another example of how you can't believe anything, and I mean anything, in the news anymore.

I wasted a few minutes of my time posting a story on here about some @!%&head fooling, not only a good samaritan and a large percentage of people in this country, but me. And it certainly pisses me off to no end................ End of Rant!!!
You had hope that it was a real thing, which is good. My heart is cold and black and cynical, be glad you are you :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.