Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can you stop SPAM...or can you? I've always gotten few here and there and they automatically go to my spam folder. This is on an internet based email account that I've had for years. Here lately I'me getting 3-4 times as much SPAM email. I don't want to meet sexy single ladies, don't need $1,000 CASH today @ 500% interest, don't need another credit card, and don't wanna see your pic!!

I knew I shouldn't have clicked on that link CHDAMN sent me.....LOL
JK

I have scan my computer and it comes back clean. I've used CCleaner and Malwarebytes and run AVG antivirus.

DS

·
Premium Member
2,607 Posts
Sorry but whenever I see Spam, I think of this

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
How can you stop SPAM...or can you?
There isn't really a whole lot you can do. Once the message has been received and delivered to your inbox, it is already too late. The anti-spam measures really have to be implemented at the SMTP server. Even then, it becomes a policy choice of receive it and let the user decide, which is what most email providers such as gmail, hotmail, or an ISP will do, or to block and reject it. In between is to use a filter that flags the message as spam giving the user the ability to send it to the "junk" folder.

One thing that as a user you can do, is report the SPAM to Spamcop. Spamcop is a service that takes reports from users and analyzes the headers for the information regarding whose hands the message passed through and where it originated. When they get enough 'hits' against a particular network, they add that network to the black list that many email services subscribe to and reject messages based on the lists. This in turn causes pain for the ISPs, and pressures them to address the problem. As an example:
My mother user Time Warner Cable of NE Ohio. Someone on their network had a compromised machine that was spewing spam (e.g. had contracted the conficker worm). They got flagged by a couple of anti-spam services and their SMTP servers wound up on the block list, which caused many of my mother's emails to be banned by the recipients, even though my mother wasn't the spammer. In this case, TWC's email server was a relay in the chain and as my mother's messages went through it, they got blocked too. My mother ended up complaining to TWC, as I imagine others who were effected did too, and TWC ended up locating the originating spammer and dealing with them.

·
Banned
3,908 Posts
How can you stop SPAM...or can you? I've always gotten few here and there and they automatically go to my spam folder. This is on an internet based email account that I've had for years. Here lately I'me getting 3-4 times as much SPAM email. I don't want to meet sexy single ladies, don't need $1,000 CASH today @ 500% interest, don't need another credit card, and don't wanna see your pic!!

I knew I shouldn't have clicked on that link CHDAMN sent me.....LOL
JK

I have scan my computer and it comes back clean. I've used CCleaner and Malwarebytes and run AVG antivirus.

DS
gmail

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Use a filter that puts anything without your exact address in the "To" field directly in the trash. A second filter will be needed for "Cc". Any "Bcc" to you will go into trash, can't help that so scan it before you empty for known people.

-R

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Ever wonder if the security folks are sleeping in the same bed as the spammers?......annoy(spammers)........solve(security)......annoy.....solve, good for business.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.