Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A lot of people have asked the question, what's the recoil of the XDs like compared to a 1911. I took a day off today and my wife is out of town so I was bored. I decided to go to the range and do a side by side comparison between my XDs and my Kimber SiS. For those that don't know, the SIS ultra is a subcompact 1911, with a steel frame. So it is heavier than an XDs and a little wider. They both conceal fairly well.

Surprisingly, recoil is very similar, so much so, I can't really tell which one has the most recoil. The XDS has a tad more muzzle flip IMO. The XDs hides a little better, but for me the Kimber SIS was more accurate and consistent. I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking. In the pictures you see one target for each gun fired at 7 yards. Ammo was Federal cheapo stuff, 50 rounds each. Shots were as quick as I could get back on target and pull the trigger. The meprolights seem to be a little quicker getting back in target than the fiber optics on the XDs but not by much.

XDs Target on the left. SiS on the right.

XDs

SiS Ultra

·
Banned
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Banned
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you see them now?

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I can see 'em. Thanks for the good review.

·
Teacher of the Craft
8,069 Posts
Question,

what pistol did you shoot first?

Or what was your protocol for the test and the firing of the rounds?

John

·
Banned
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Question,

what pistol did you shoot first?

Or what was your protocol for the test and the firing of the rounds?

John
IIRC I think I started with the Kimber. I loaded both with 22 rounds each (3, 7 round mags and one in chamber). Shoot all, and pick up the other and shoot all. Then with the 8 left I loaded 4 in each, shoot all 4, pick up other weapon and shoot all 4.

·
Banned
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Around 31 ounces empty. It is a steel frame gun.

·
Banned
8,282 Posts
If someone is considering a compact 1911, I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II. It's a 3" barrel .45 ACP with a 7+1 capacity. The difference in the Kimber SiS and the UC II is that the Ultra Carry has an aluminum lower frame, clocking in total weight at 25 ounces; big difference over most all steel Kimbers and not much heavier than the XD-S. This little guy has noticeably more recoil than the XD-S. It's not horrible or uncontrollable, but you can tell a difference in the two. The Ultra Carry grip is the widest part of the gun and is half an inch thicker than the XD-S and is about half an inch taller to the bottom of the magazine as well. The Ultra Carry II is a great gun, incredibly accurate. I enjoy carrying it and shooting it.

EDIT

Luke, does Kimber still make the SiS? I thought they did but I couldn't find it on their site...guess I was wrong.

If anyone is interested in a compact 1911 for concealed carry, I'd recommend any of Kimber's 3" barreled .45s with the aluminum frame to keep the weight down.

·
Teacher of the Craft
8,069 Posts
Good deal,

Sometimes warming up to shooting (shooting pistol A first) then going to pistol B will make a person shoot pistol B better because you are 50rnds more in the flow.

Next time if you want to test them again shoot pistol A first on day 1, then day 2 shoot pistol B. see if you get the same test groups.

John

·
Registered
196 Posts
I really need to shoot the XDs. Planning on getting my CWP in the next 6 months or so and I need to start thinking about what I'm going to carry. My FN-X is probably a little on the large side for concealment.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
My FN-X is probably a little on the large side for concealment.
Concealment is often more an issue of proper dress and holster selection. I routinely carry a Glock 17 with no problems while offduty. At work, I'm carrying a full size M&P40 concealed while doing plain clothes/UC work without people noticing

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yup, your target looks just like mine when I'm shooting my Ultra Carry II. Kimber makes a great pistol, a real tack driver. I don't carry it much since I bought a S&W Shield in 40, the UCII is still a big heavy pistol compared to a modern polymer gun but 1911's are a work of art.

·
Banned
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup, your target looks just like mine when I'm shooting my Ultra Carry II. Kimber makes a great pistol, a real tack driver. I don't carry it much since I bought a S&W Shield in 40, the UCII is still a big heavy pistol compared to a modern polymer gun but 1911's are a work of art.
I know what you mean. Before I picked up the Nano, Shield and XDs the SiS was my EDC. No it sits in the safe a lot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.