Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I want to invest in some steel targets and I want them to stand up to pistol as well as .223 and .308 I was going to go with the AR500 plate but what thickness is needed for my intended application and where is a good place to buy them I have been looking at some on ebay. Thanks for any help I don't want to toss cash away on something I will destroy in a month or 2.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Contact Allen, one of our forum sponsors. He should be able to make you whatever you want. He has produce much of the steel we use at my club and I would highly recommend. I believe you need 1/2" AR 500 to stand up to .223, .308, and other bottle-neck rifle cartridges.

http://tarheeltargets.com/

·
Premium Member
10,076 Posts
+4. I have 4 of his targets, all gongs, and they are great. He is easy to work with and can make just about anything for you. I have a 12" by 1/4" gong that Ive shot (.223) at 50 yards and it barely made a dent. Thats a little close to be shooting at, but it gives you an illustration of how it will hold up

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am glad you asked this question as I was looking for some steel myself. I will never count out fellow CSC members but up until now the best value I have found was www.shootsteel.com

Think I will go there and find my application and then order from a CSC member.

·
Vendor
6,243 Posts
I have some 6" x 1/2" thick AR500 "mouse ear" targets n hand and ready to ship now. I also have some 3/8" gongs, which are fine at distance, but you REALLY need 1/2" for rifles.

I have a 12" x 1/2" gong, and I may have an 8" mouse ear target. I have pictures of these in my sponsor area of the forum.

USPS Priority works for the AR500 stuff, too. I have shipped 3 12" x 1/2" gongs at once and it weighed 42 pounds, but "if i fits it ships"....LOL

Let me know what you want, and I will make you a good deal on it.

·
Vendor
6,243 Posts
I am glad you asked this question as I was looking for some steel myself. I will never count out fellow CSC members but up until now the best value I have found was www.shootsteel.com

Think I will go there and find my application and then order from a CSC member.
I just went to the website above. I can beat their prices, always have been able to, and I will include shipping in my quote, which will most likely be USPS Priority. They offer free shipping if you order $500.00. Hell, buy $500 from me and I'll load 'em in the truck and deliver 'em, or at least meet halfway and eliminate the shipping all together. I pay tax on my steel when I buy it so I don't have to deal with the Dept of Revenue. This also keeps you from paying sales tax when you buy from me.

I have been doing this for a couple of years, and I have been able to beat or meet any price I've seen yet.

Anyone looking for AR500 can PM me here or email m direct at [email protected]

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
1911gobang seems to really know what he's talking about and has very competitive pricing!

You definitely want 1/2" AR500 for longevity. Anyone who tells you 3/8" is fine is counting on your return business 6months down the road.

1911gobang, it sure is funny dropping of a half dozen flat rate boxes at the post office with 50+lb of steel in them! Double box and reinforced tape ftw.

·
Vendor
6,243 Posts
Quick post on AR500.

NEVER....EVER....EVER engage ANY steel at less than 15 yards, 25 would be better

ALWAYS....ALWAYS....ALWAYS
wear eye protection (you should be wearing them always when shooting anything anyway. Even airsoft)

Mass and weight play a part in the applications of AR500. I.E. a 1/2" x 6" AR500 target will not take as much abuse as a 1/2" x 12" target.

Now, for thickness/distances
1/4"- all rimfire, smaller pistols (32, 380). 9mm beyond 50yds. NO HIGH POWER ANYTHING

3/8"- All rimfires, most pistols beyond 50 yards, smaller rifles <2,000 fps at 100yds.

1/2"- All rimfires, all pistols, most rifles <3,000 fps beyond 100 yds. Most rifles >3,000 fps beyond 250yds

3/4"- Most anything at 100 yds, 338LM and 50BMG at 500. 20mm at 1,000 yds.

1"- <20mm..... Bring it....
30mm beyond 500yds

I have heard of 50BMG punching 1" at 500, but I have personally seen 50BMG hit a 3/4" target at 500, and it barely left a dimple. AP is the only way it would punch it at that distance.

30 cal >3,000 fps will punch 3/8" all day at 100yds, even cheap plinking ammo. 7.62x54R and 30-06 have proven this in my backyard range, and other places.

223 likes 3/8" at 100 with non-AP ammo.

Just some thumb rules...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.