Stolen? gun | Carolina Shooters Club

Stolen? gun

Discussion in 'Handguns, Pistol Shooting' started by jb2sea, Sep 2, 2020.

1. jb2sea

jb2sea Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

If I have a gun I can't find, and fairly certain it has been stolen, do I go on an report it as stolen? I've searched high and low and cannot find it. Beyond that, I can't find the paperwork where it was purchased, so I have no record of the serial number. I don't think the paperwork was in the case with the gun. I normally keep the paperwork separate from the gun. But do keep paperwork on a shelf in the same storage area (I'm going to change that now). However, I can't say for sure that the paperwork wasn't in the case with the gun. Don't think so, but not 100% sure.

This is a first for me, so not sure exactly how to proceed. But I assume I need to call and report it stolen. I just hate to do so without the serial number.

2. NCAV8TOR

NCAV8TOR Lifetime Member CSC, NRA, GRNC Lifetime Member

If you haven’t done it yet, I would start looking in all of the most unlikely places you might think it would be.

Where do you think it was stolen from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. jb2sea

I've looked everywhere. I actually took every gun out and oiled them all up and changed batteries in everything, while I was looking for the handgun. It just is nowhere to be found. I think it was stolen from where I had it stored. And I'm 99% sure where it was stored.

4. JimP42

JimP42 Bitter Clinger Club Subscribed

When and where did you see it last?

Do you have reason to think that anyone with access to where you think it was stored would ave taken it?

5. jb2sea

In the plastic case it came in. In the area where I had it stored. Yes, a handyman had access to that area to do some work.

6. Sevenshot

Sevenshot Registered Member

It's a bummer you don't have the serial number. Definitely report it stolen if you are sure. How long since you last saw it?

7. jb2sea

Too long. But I wanted to go through everything to be certain. And it took way too long to finally get the time to pull out everything (to oil them up too) so I could be sure it wasn't there.

So I can report it stolen even though I don't have the serial number?

8. larryh1108

larryh1108 Registered Member

Did you ever photograph it?
    If you report it stolen without the serial# (make, model, caliber, etc) and it shows up some day used in a crime
    and is traced to you, at least you can show you reported it stolen.
    If you remember where you bought it, they should have the record.

9. jb2sea

No photos. And don't remember where I bought it. That's the other problem. Pretty sure I bought it at a gun show. I used to go to those regularly. In various locations. But no idea which one when I bought the handgun. And no idea of the dealer, without having the paperwork. I think whoever stole the gun also stole the paperwork. The paperwork was right there where the gun was and easily accessible. It was either the last gun I purchased, or next to the last. So the paperwork for it would have been on top of the pile.

I keep a spreadsheet of my guns and serial numbers. I had the gun/model on the spreadsheet. But I guess I never got around to adding the serial number. Due to my situation, I haven't done much with my guns in the last couple of years. I have s/n for every gun I own. Except for this one. It's like everything that could be wrong about the situation is wrong.

10. larryh1108

larryh1108 Registered Member

Sounds like the repairman's name was Murphy!

11. Stockglock19

Stockglock19 Registered Member

Sounds like you have a major security problem. A gun owners responsibility is to keep firearms safe and you failed to do so. You need to get a safe and secure it to concrete with bolts. Thank god a child didn’t stumble across it. If you report it stolen and the gun was purchased without proper paperwork you’re screwed. Keep it to yourself and follow the rules of gun safety.

12. Adam Hewlin

Adam Hewlin Registered Member

I have paperwork for all my transactions and a mental Rolodex of faces places and the guns I have bought sold and traded.If it is truly stolen report it and suffer the consequences because this stolen gun could be used to injure or kill an innocent person period,and if that happens and it's traced back to you it will be worse than having it stolen.

13. jb2sea

Reported. If I have a gun stolen, does that automatically mean I am an irresponsible gun owner? That's what you're saying. You don't know the situation, so please don't assume. I've had guns stolen on multiple occasions. But I certainly don't consider myself an irresponsible gun owner. Not even close.

Adam, you have a better memory than I have. No way I could ever come close to remembering where I bought my guns.

14. Adam Hewlin

Adam Hewlin Registered Member

No offense,I'm not saying you're irresponsible but a handgun is the last thing you leave laying around where a handyman can just put it in his pocket.You made a mistake and if he uses it to shoot someone then tells the cops he stole it from you and you never reported it missing that makes you liable in court when the victim's family lawyers up..Everyone makes mistakes just make sure you never make this one again.I hope you find it or get it back.You can buy a decent safe for $300-$500 by the way.

15. jb2sea

Like I said, it is now reported. The only 'mistake' I made was not getting that one serial number recorded on my spreadsheet. And I guess leaving the paperwork and the gun in close proximity. Again, please don't assume I just left a gun lying around. That is not the case at all. Even if the gun were not locked up, does everyone keep every gun they own in a safe? I don't think so.

16. MurphyLong

MurphyLong sudo Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

That guy always makes me want to change my username.

17. MurphyLong

MurphyLong sudo Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

This is not true, and is only speculation- speaking from experience. I sold a 1911 years back, and had stuffed the paperwork away (because I don't really care, the guy had a NC CCP, so my due diligence was done) and years later I got a call from a Detective working a shooting case that the 1911 had been used in. My name was where the paper trail stopped, because I bought it from an FFL. He simply asked if I knew where "my" gun was, and I told him that I had sold it years prior. That was the end of it. The burden of proof would fall on the prosecution, so even if that Detective wanted to be an ass about it, no Attorney would ever come for me. It's not on me to proof I didn't have it last, it would be on THEM to prove that I was the one who committed the crime with it.

18. Walt Sherrill

Walt Sherrill Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

It wouldn't surprise me if you've just been misplaced that gun, by stashing somewhere in an unusual place. (I'm sure you've thought of this and my response offers you no comfort -- I'm not trying to be insulting!) I say that because unless you store your guns in a lot of different places around your home, someone who stole one gun would likely have stolen more than one.

If you remember WHERE and approximately WHEN you bought it, you might contact the FFL /firm you bought it from. The FFL's records, if automated, might have the information you need.

NCAV8TOR likes this.