Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Instead of blasting the Teflon off an upper receiver, could i just use aircraft grade paint stripper instead?
That seems like a good idea, and would save me time.....if it works that is. I just want to get started on the cerakote for my warsport lower and PSA upper build.

I just want to get started on this thing, so when my barrel arrives i can get started.

Can i use baking soda in a sand blaster? I want to avoid a mess if possible. If all it takes is baking soda in a sandblaster then i'm going to take that road.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Just give it to my wife. She has stripped all of the teflon off of our cooking utensils several times. I hate buying her new pans.
I lol'd.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Please ask her to write down how she does it. I have several pieces I would like to do.

·
I'm told I'm pretty awesome...
8,590 Posts
Instead of blasting the Teflon off an upper receiver, could i just use aircraft grade paint stripper instead?
That seems like a good idea, and would save me time.....if it works that is. I just want to get started on the cerakote for my warsport lower and PSA upper build.

I just want to get started on this thing, so when my barrel arrives i can get started.

Can i use baking soda in a sand blaster? I want to avoid a mess if possible. If all it takes is baking soda in a sandblaster then i'm going to take that road.
By teflon do you mean anodizing? If so, stripper will not do anything. It is a layer of aluminum oxide made through a chemical reaction. Easiest way to remove it is just to blast it. This will also give you the best surface for the cerakote to adhere.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By teflon do you mean anodizing? If so, stripper will not do anything. It is a layer of aluminum oxide made through a chemical reaction. Easiest way to remove it is just to blast it. This will also give you the best surface for the cerakote to adhere.
Ah i see, well i guess my next question would be is can i use baking soda in a sand blaster?

·
I'm told I'm pretty awesome...
8,590 Posts
I don't think I would remove the anodize just to creakote it, aluminum can get quite nasty if it starts to oxidize. Will the creakote adhere to the anodize?
If you don't you will have shite for adhesion. The anodizing is too slick to adhere well.

·
Premium Member
944 Posts

You're missing the point here. Prepping for Cerakote isn't just about stripping the original finish. Cerakote needs a specific texture to adhere and perform as advertised. Read the training manual on their website and you will find the correct method. It requires a#100 - #120 grit aluminum oxide or garnet sand at the right pressure.

Also, you don't want to strip the inside of the upper reciever. At least some companies use teflon or some fancy finish on the inside that you can't replicate. That's why you don't see uppers in the white very often.

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
When in doubt... Call the coating company. They know a lot more about their finish than anyone else. When I'm working with a new to me finish I will always reach out to the manufacturer when I have a question.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.