Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Les Deplorables
12,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
508 Posts
So a punch to the face justify using a gun?

·
Premium Member
15,599 Posts
My answer would be "maybe". My wife punches me in the face, no. Wahoo decides to punch me, maybe. The difference is in the damage the two can cause. My wife may make me chuckle a bit, but Wahoo could put my teeth through the back of my head. My only thought would be, if I survived one punch, I may not survive the following ones.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I think it does. I don't know about you, but I consider a broken jaw to be a pretty grievous bodily injury.

That said, it doesn't look like these thugs jumped him and caught him off guard, but instead he was arguing with them, so that paints a little more of a mutual combat picture. But yes, if two people are trying to get into an ostensibly closed, locked store at 3:30AM, and in the process assault the clerk who is trying to keep them out, I say that's a justifiable shooting.

·
Registered
508 Posts
He unlocked the door and let him in.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I love it when family comes out of the woodwork in cases like this with the classic line of " He/she didn't deserve that." when the person who got shot/severely hurt was the person who caused the situation to occur in the first place. Regardless of the if the reaction was overboard or not it was the direct result of a situation they had caused. Play the game long enough you will eventually pay the price.

·
Premium Member
15,599 Posts
So your assumption is that this guy premeditated that he would escalate the confrontation, open the door, take a punch from possibly armed men, so he could then shoot one and get revenge on someone for a prior harm done. Could happen.

Not saying the guy did no wrong. But the answer to "Can a punch to the face cause a grievous enough injury or fear of injury to warrant deadly force" the answer is yes.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
It looked to me like he unlocked the door and told them to go away. I don't think they came in.

Bottom line: you can't run around punching people in the face. We can't tell what was being said, so the clerk may or may not have some blame here, but the at risk of sounding infantile, the thugs started it. If he hadn't punched the clerk in the first place, everybody would have the same number of holes in their bodies as when they woke up that day.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
As a sidebar, I agree with drypowder. What a bunch of creeps these "community activists" are! It's bad enough we have people running around sucker punching convenience store clerks, but we also have people rushing to his aid defending what he did??

Degenerate swine.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Didnt look like a robbery either just a arguement. People just looking for a excuse to be a tough guy and pop a cap in someone. Instead of putting up some fists he decided to use a gun. If your really have to use a gun for a punch to the jaw then goto the doctor for some T pills or hit the gym.

·
Les Deplorables
12,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I love it when family comes out of the woodwork in cases like this with the classic line of " He/she didn't deserve that." when the person who got shot/severely hurt was the person who caused the situation to occur in the first place.
The father is looking to pin his failure on someone else.

If I did this and got shot in the process, my parents would show up at the hospital and tell me I got what I deserved; they wouldn't be marching with one of these community activist vultures.

·
Premium Member
15,599 Posts
Q: why do you work out?
A: So when a fool decides to go toe to toe I can beat him down.

Q: why do you carry a gun?
A: so if I am ever assaulted I can defend myself from an unprovoked attack.

Who is seriously the tough guy?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
In this particular case, the punch alone in the video doesn't look like a hit sufficient to cause great bodily harm. However, the video alone does not tell the whole story. What threats accompanied or preceded it? Were there more BGs off camera? The net result is that I think the sum total of the circumstances could be enough for the clerk to be in fear of great bodily harm justifying the use of deadly force.

I am honestly beginning to question the "great bodily harm" standard, or at least the application of it as I have no problem with someone taking out the trash so to speak, which is what it looks like the clerk did.

·
Registered
297 Posts
1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.