Target practice on property | Carolina Shooters Club

Target practice on property

Discussion in 'Club News | How To's | Issues & Suggestions' started by Anomad, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Anomad

Anomad Registered Member

New to the world of firearms. Probably a dumb question but I can’t seem to find a clear explanation anywhere on this. I live in hickory, have a 4 acre lot with neighbors to the side, no one lives behind me and there’s a big hill. Question is, can I target practice in my backyard at the bottom of the hill? Anyone know where I can find more information about this?

2. SkydivnShooter

SkydivnShooter Staff Member Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

Not a dumb question at all.

The state says cities and/or counties can make up their own rules about it....
    § 160A-189. Firearms.
    A city may by ordinance regulate, restrict, or prohibit the discharge of firearms at any time or place within the city except when used in defense of person or property or pursuant to lawful directions of law-enforcement officers, and may regulate the display of firearms on the streets, sidewalks, alleys, or other public property. Nothing in this section shall be construed to limit a city's authority to take action under Article 1A of Chapter 166A of the General Statutes. (1971, c. 698, s. 1; 2012-12, s. 2(zz).)

Among other things, The City of Hickory says...
    https://library.municode.com/nc/hic...dinances?nodeId=PTIIICOOR_CH21OFIS_S21-13USWE
    Sec. 21-13. - Use of weapons.
    (a)No person shall shoot any firearm within the city or shoot with a bow and arrow or shoot missiles of any description from slings, spring guns, airguns, BB guns, air pistols or instruments of any kind.
    (b)Subsection (a) of this section shall not apply when a weapon is used in a lawful manner:
    (1)In defense of person or property;
    (2)Pursuant to lawful directions of law enforcement officers;
    (3)By a law enforcement officer in the discharge of his duties; or
    (4)In a licensed shooting gallery.

If you are outside city limits, the county rules prevail...
    https://library.municode.com/nc/cat...es?nodeId=COOR_CH22LAEN_ARTIIIFI_S22-61USPRRE
    Sec. 22-61. - Use prohibited and restricted.
    (a)It shall be unlawful to use a firearm for the purpose of terrorizing others or to use a firearm to the annoyance and danger of others.
    (b)It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge or fire any pistol, shotgun, rifle or other firearm of any description whatsoever on or from any public street or highway or the rights-of-way thereof or within 500 feet of a dwelling or of an outbuilding of a dwelling not owned by the person in the county. This subsection does not apply to any law enforcement officer engaged in official duty.
    (c)Exceptions to this section are as follows:
    (1)This section shall not be construed to prohibit:
    a.Any citizen from discharging a firearm when lawfully defending his person or property.
    b.Officers and enlisted personnel of the armed forces of the United States while in the discharge of their official duties and acting under orders requiring them to carry arms or weapons.
    c.Civil officers of the United States while in the discharge of their official duties.
    d.Officers and soldiers of the militia and the state guard when called into actual service.
    e.Officers of the state or of any county, city, or town charged with the execution of the laws of the state when acting in the discharge of their official duties.
    (2)This section shall not affect the operation of public or private firing ranges in existence on the effective date of the ordinance from which this section is derived.
    (3)This section shall not be construed to affect hunting regulated by the state wildlife resources commission and preempted by state law.

Pumpkinslinger, Anomad and Jeppo like this.
  3. Anomad

Anomad Registered Member

Thank you for the fantastic detail. It can be confusing on where to look and find this information. Luckily I live outside the city limits and can go far enough back into my property to meet the 500feet distance from my neighbors. I also called the sheriffs office to confirm. Thank you and the community for the quick responses and for helping a new firearm owner.

Jeppo likes this.