Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just wanted to share an episode of last years "suburban deer hunting" with you guys.
The following is from the original post on a different forum Nov, 06 2011.

This evening I got a call from the meat packers that my deer was ready. So, instead of wasting a trip out there I decided to take another deer with me.
I go out and sit by the garden about 6PM and within 30 min the crew show up. The crew tonight being 3 doe, 4 yearlings and a dink. The dink is the target so I let him let to about 40 yards and put one in him, he bolts. SO do I and anther 85 TSX puts him down in about another 10 yard tumble-a-thon.
Instantly, and I mean the brass hasnt hit the ground, DAVID comes running through the adjacent pasture and screaming at the top of his lungs "DID YOU SHOOT THAT DEER? DID YOU SHOOT THAT DEER?". To which i replied "NOPE he was hit by lightning, did u happen to see where it knocked him?"
Its obvious my wit is lost on David. Partly to blame is the alcohol running through his 6'3" frame. Then right on cue comes The Dr. You know these guys. The Docs who go to the store in scrubs, Crocks,and a 79 color blazing dew-rag. Yeah, Thats him. More on he and the petite Mrs. Dr in a moment.
The Dr. is HOT! And acting very aggressive. Picture Randy Savage pre-match. Really! He's taking off his jacket and waving his arms like a bird and screaming (louder than david) YOU DONT SHOOT DEER! YOU DONT SHOOT DEER YOU DONT SHOOT DEER".
I attempt to tell these guys that I Do. Really, I DO "shoot deer". Look.. over there. Deer! dead! I shot him.
And, uh. you fellas are trespassing #1, PDC (public disorderly conduct) #2 and at least for David, possibly a public drunk charge.
"Now I still have half an hour, please leave"
No, thats not what I said.
What I said was very civil and calm. And reserved.
"Guys, I am well within every right as a landowner to hunt these deer. I am breaking No DNR regs. I am in the County and I havent broken any laws. David's response is "I DONT CARE ABOUT THE LAWS". which is funny, in a way, because The Dr. is calling 911.
WHEEE!So they start backtracking to the road while I jog over to my next door neighborrs and collect the dink from his back yard. WHICH I MIGHT ADD... I have gained prior verbal permission to do, in the presence of witnesses. As a side note, my 87 year old next door neighbor, Mac, responded to my request by saying "I hope you kill them all".
So I get the dink half way to the house and here comes The Dr., David, Mrs.Dr. (AKA The RACOON LADY) and some kid (a girl about 10 who is crying).

Oh, The Racoon Lady. The Dr.s wife is a 250 pound native Parisian, who intentionally uses a heavy accent to let you know she's French. She is known over the whole neighborhood as The Racoon lady becasue she has a troop of Bandits who she feeds every day. Not corn or birdseed once a week. a dozen fresh organic eggs, a load of bread (sometimes bagels- they must be Jewish) and a 5 pound bag or either apples or oranges a week.
Whichever the ***** requested, I guess.
Smart thing for me to do is drop the dink and return to the homestead. I am out numbered. I have no friendly witnesses and my fuse, while very very long has started burning a bit whiter. Not good.
See, Im a former Marine, A former, cop. I served my country and my town. I break no laws. I pay my taxs. I dont drink. I dont do drugs and I havent even had a speeding ticket is more than a decade.
Im a decent fellow.
But I'm starting to get this tingling feeling in the back of my neck which in my earlier life usually ended one of two ways. And both are ugly.
So I go home. Put on some civies and wait for the Po-Po to arrive. Which they do.
And listen as they tell the crowd. "No, he's not breaking the law. No, he has a valid hunting licence and he's within his rights to kill any deer that wanders onto his land. They are not, "your deer".
Great. while the group is getting versed in the seperation of thier wishes and my rights, I grab the dink and load him up.
When 5-0 is dont he shakes my hand, I thank him and tell him goodnight.
I take the dink, pick up my meat and head back home. Unload the coolers and while I am washing blood out of the truck-bed I see... Lights and people in the field next door. So i snoop and poop to the treeline and as best I can tell they are looking for blood. To which I yell "No need to track that one. The Barnes made it easy".
NO. I DIDNT. I wanted to, but I'm not that quick and pretty sure the dont have a clue what a "TSX" is. I think what i actually said was something to the effect of "I have had about enough of your tree hugging hippy Bullshit. I'm calling the cops this time and if you come accross this property line an ambulance as well."
2 Cops this time. Who both tell them the same thing and end it with "...and if YOU and YOU keep this up, I will arrest you." I smile Big and get back to the chores.
Then...
A vehicle comes down my dead end street turns around and stops adjacent to the field. Lights off, engine running. These Idiots dont get it. So I call the number the cop gave me and he starts heading back. I do the dirty walk (no street lights out here bubba) and am close enough to read the tag on the truck is State GOV. Ah-Ha, DNR.
The deputy pulls up (no one has seen me yet) and the DNR agent asks "Who called you" to which I now pipe up "I DID" and at least 3 people physically gasp and jump at my almost ninja like appearance on the scene. The deputy says, Go back over to your place and I'll come by when I'm done with these people". And I kinda like the way he says "These people" Like someone talking about the type of person who leaves diapers in grocery parking lots.
"THESE People".
So, The DNR agent comes by and I'm ready to go to jail. I dont know what for, but, I took off the wedding band and belt then gave my wife my folding money and wallet and opened the phone book to Bonding Agents.
The DNR fellow starts off with " Partner, I am really Sorry about this. I know this has taken up your whole night." WHEW!
He procededs to tell me how he basicly thinks I'm doing a public service by killing these deer so close to town and that as long as I'm safe he doesnt have a problem.

Now. Home. The wife is tore up. The kids are confused. The dog hasnt seen this much action since the lawn tractor dug into a hornets nest. And I'm up at 4 fking oclock in the AM because I'm worried some hippy is going to key my car, or TP my house or put "BAMBI KILLER" signs in my yard.
And by the way. The dink was for stew. Friday night I killed a 200+# 8 point with a 17" inside and 8" browtines. Behind the house.

Since this episode I took another big buck in December and I have game camera pictures of 9 does (which have now dropped a total of 5 new fawns) and 8 seperate bucks. One sporting a huge 10 point rack in febuary. I havent seen his new headgear.

·
Banned
13,863 Posts
If you'd have been using a Remington 700, instead of that piece of crap Savage, it would have only taken one shot. :)

Pretty good story and I liked your writing style. It reminds me a little bit of Patrick F. McManus. You just need to add a little more satire, use a few more colorful phrases, make fun of yourself getting older a couple of times and you're there.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
The fellow that wrote the essay is living in the "transition" period before the hippies get laws passed that outlaw hunting in that area so they can feed Bambi as well the Bandits.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you'd have been using a Remington 700, instead of that piece of crap Savage, it would have only taken one shot. :)

Pretty good story and I liked your writing style. It reminds me a little bit of Patrick F. McManus. You just need to add a little more satire, use a few more colorful phrases, make fun of yourself getting older a couple of times and you're there.
LOL!

Well, I hate to break it to you, but...
The dink was shot with a 700. A laminate stock 243 and barnes TSX 85's. 2 of them. he weighed about 125 pounds.
I bought the rifle as a donor for a 358win build, but sold it because it was too accurate to justify jerking the tube. The other 2 I killed on the property were an 8 point and a 6 point. Both were DRT and shot with a steyr carbine in 308, not a savage.

As far as the bandits go, I have removed 7 this year. the heaviest was a whopping 32 pounds. Looked like a dog he was so big.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
As far as the bandits go, I have removed 7 this year. the heaviest was a whopping 32 pounds. Looked like a dog he was so big.
Gee, it almost seems like someone's been feeding them! LOL

I hope you offered Doc and Mrs Doc a peace offering of a couple of nifty Daniel Boone hats.

·
Banned
10,056 Posts
I thought there were laws against interfering with legal hunters?
Yep, there are...

UNLAWFUL HARASSMENT OF PERSONS TAKING WILDLIFE RESOURCES
In North Carolina, it is unlawful for a person to interfere intentionally with the lawful taking of wildlife resources or to drive,
harass, or intentionally disturb any wildlife resources for the purpose of disrupting the lawful taking of wildlife resources on
public or private property. NOTE: This law does not apply to activity by a person on land he or she owns or leases or to a
person who incidentally interferes with the taking of wildlife resources while using the land for other lawful activity such as
agriculture, mining or recreation.

Violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor punishable for a first conviction by a fine not to exceed $1,000, by
imprisonment not to exceed 30 days, or by both and punishable for a second or subsequent conviction by a fine left
to the discretion of the court (N.C. General Statute §113-295).

What Should I Do?
If you experience unlawful harassment, immediately notify your nearest wildlife enforcement officer,
county sheriff's office or local police department. Advise the authorities of this law and that you wish to hunt peacefully.

What Not to Do
Do not provoke a fight, threaten reprisals or use profanity. Remember that some anti-hunting activists seek
confrontation and may be accompanied by the news media.​

·
Banned
10,056 Posts
It may be one of those issues that the officer has to witness first-hand.

Then again, there's this part...

Advise the authorities of this law and that you wish to hunt peacefully.

Maybe they don't know the law and how it applies.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the way the SC code reads they pretty much have to tresspass to be cited.
for about a week after I killed the 2nd deer they walked through the neighbor hood blowing a trumpet.
I saw more deer then than any time before. they know so litte about deer they didnt realize they were pushing them to me.

The lead vocal in the anti song sang her sad story to the neighbors so I put a letter together and sent it to every home in our neighbor hood.
Now keep in mind this isnt your average subdivision. we have a one way ineighborhood and it was started in 1964. My home was built 3rd and by one of the founders of the whole neighborhood. My next door neighbor is 90 years old and was the best friend of the man that built the house and his widow who we bought from. He wants me to kill all the deer. We are good friends.
heres the letter I sent out...

Neightbors,

White-tailed Deer are very compelling animals, and many people take enjoyment in seeing, observing, photographing, and in hunting deer.
Although a highly valued animal, the white-tailed deer has reached record population levels. Numbers in SC are at all time highs and are continuing to expand.Densities may surpass 40 deer per square mile in some rural areas, and over 100 deer per square mile have been documented near many urban areas.
If the biological carrying capacity of an urban area goes beyond its maximum, the habitat quality decreases and the physical condition of the deer herd declines. The habitat quality and deer herd health will not improve unless deer densities are reduced. Such circumstances enhance the possibility of winter starvation due to poor nutrition and disease.

Overall, public perceptions toward deer are becoming less enthusiastic as deer densities, and deer damage increases.Public concerns include deer crop damage, deer damage to landscape plants, deer car collisions, and the transmission of Lyme disease via deer ticks.

In suburban areas, as deer herds climb and degrade the habitat, you end up with poor quality habitat but you rarely get the corresponding drop in deer numbers. In such instances the deer population continues increasing despite the loss of habitat because of two factors: 1) low mortality rates and 2) alternative food sources.Across the board, hunter harvest is the number one mortality source for deer. Other sources in order are predation, deer-vehicle accidents and disease.

In many suburban deer herds, hunter harvest is low or nonexistent, as is mortality from predators. Leaving the chief causes of death vehicle contact and disease. From a food perspective, suburban environments offer abundant gardens, shrubbery and other landscaping, as well as supplemental feed from some homeowners.The point is that suburban deer populations can remain high even in poor habitats, and the number one mortality source - and management tool, HUNTING - is not as easily applied as due to persons living in those areas lowered understanding of what a Quality deer herd means.

In wild animals there is never a case of "More is better". The idea that a larger herd benefits the herd to any degree is not a valid reasonable premise. In whitetail deer specified MORE only means more property damage, more vehicle accidents, more disease in the deer and the chances for disease in the human population. How many years have passed since there has not been a single vehicle-deer collision within 1/2 mile of the entrance to Pine Acres? When one of these collisions cause the death or injury or a member of this community will the same view be held of the deer?When predators following the large deer herd settle for one of our neighborhood pets,will we see them in the same light?

I have hunted and studied the whitetail deer for 30 years. I am not a sport hunter. I use the animal as a source of food for my family.I have no need , no desire and certainly no reason to harvest a small immature animal.I choose the largest animal when I can or I choose a deer who exhibits poor genetic characteristics. My goal as a steward of the land and wildlife is the EXACT SAME goal as I hope you all share. A manageable sized, heathy and sustainable deer herd.

My base of knowledge comes from 3 decades spent observing these animals in thir natural environment and my committed desire to understand and learn about their habits,needs and what it takes to keep them available as an available resource. Unfortunatly there is extremist to which every person who hunts is filled with blood-lust. These same people consider even the death of a squirrel a crime. The base of their knowledge of wildlife biology is loosely contained in one simple word.

EMOTION.

Not reason, not science. Not understanding or even a willing to listen to proven scientific fact. These people consider MORE IS BETTER. Thier idea of healthy wildlife is 30 pound racoon who have eaten bread and eggs for so long they cannot feed themselves as wild animals. So obese that they can not escape a natural predator and so acclimated to humans that they see every human as a source of food and will initiate contact with people.

Is this safe?

A wild animal seeing a young child playing and eating a popsicle or piece of fruit as its food source.

In SC the most rabid animal by far is the racoon, more than bats, foxes and coyotes.Yet the same people who chastise me for taking deer to feed my family, who call the Police and Department of Natural Resourses in an attempt to stop my perfectly legal actions, these same people day after day, year after year promote an idea and put into practice activity like feeding raccoons.

It sounds so much more benign, doesnt it?

"Feeding raccoons"?

Lets call it what it is. It is...
"Training the highest rabies carrier in the state of SC to initiate contact with people every time it sees one."

These people are the torchbearers for the deer herd?
These people are the ones who know whats best for the wildlife?

So be it.We are all a community. But we are all individuals with our own minds and ability to discern truth from lies. Fact from fantasy and certainly emotionally fueled protestation from sound scientific proven methodology.

Your Neighbors,

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
What can be one of the supposed solutions is the allowance of bow hunting which will last until Bambi stumbles into the good Doctors yard with a arrow poking out it's flanks then the parade will begin again, this time with more servere hunting restrictions. The true solution is to sell out and move to a more uncivilized area which are becoming more and more harder to find thanks to folks like Jane Fonda buying up all the good land.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Theres no allowances needed. I am on my land, in the county and have a valid SC hunting licence.
The solution is to keep my shots above the shoulder and be ready with a quick "GFY".
The laws of the state and the county are written for people like me. Thats why i havent been cited with breaking any.
I told the HOA that I would agree to use a bow if I had written permission from the rest of the homeowners to retrieve a deer from their land.
chirp
chirp
chirp.
Soon as I put the funds together theres gonna be a suppressed 300 blackout in the stable.
Luckily in SC you can hunt with 22's on your own land. So I can sit in the barn and pop them in the temple with a 40 grainer from 20 yards as well.
As far as moving, NO FKING WAY.
I love my house. Its a one of a kind designed and built by the man who lived here, raised his kids here and died in it. I have devices on following his lead.

G

·
As far as moving, NO FKING WAY.
Damn right, we are surrendering too much of the countryside to these city pricks that want to be out of the urban death maze their preferred politicians create, but want their city BS to apply to the country too.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just you wait...
Rifle season starts thursday.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.