Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Fiance told me the other day that she was starting to think about finally getting a handgun, so today we went to the local toy store and I was trying to let her find something but she got real nervous and just didn't want to handle anything. She said she would rather get more familiar with guns and how to use them and would like to shoot some of mine first...So tomorrow is the big day, we have planned a trip to the range, and she is excited! What more could I ask for!?!? She has shot my AR and shotguns, so I'm hoping a hand gun wont be something to make her gun shy.

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
Great man! Hope it goes well .

If ya have a 22 or other light caliber it might be wise to let her shoot that first and work up to higher power rounds as she is comfortable. A buddy of mine finally talked his wife into a range trip and only took his 44 magnum Alaskan snub-nose. Needless to say he she fired one time and wanted to leave.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great man! Hope it goes well .

If ya have a 22 or other light caliber it might be wise to let her shoot that first and work up to higher power rounds as she is comfortable. A buddy of mine finally talked his wife into a range trip and only took his 44 magnum Alaskan snub-nose. Needless to say he she fired one time and wanted to leave.
I wish I had a .22 for her, smallest I have is a .380 and as for that Alaskan..Haha I think if I was shooting for the first time and that was in my hand...I would probably have done the same thing..

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I wish I had a .22 for her, smallest I have is a .380 and as for that Alaskan..Haha I think if I was shooting for the first time and that was in my hand...I would probably have done the same thing..
see if you can rent one at the range. This has made a huge difference for a lot of my buddies wives. They shoot .22 first and "graduate" to larger calibers.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
If she is already shooting an AR & shotgun I think she would do fine with the .380 or 9mm. The .22 is lots of fun also. Talk to her and she what she thinks about it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well just got back, she loved it ! Even wanted to help clean them when we got home. She didn't like the LCP, but was loving my Glock 36....go figure!
She has already said she wants to shoot more, get her CWP and her own hand gun...I'm smiling from ear to ear!

·
Banned
4,122 Posts
The LCP is light and the recoil was likely too snappy for her.

The G36 is a bit heavier and fires a slower bullet. Recoil would've been a good bit less. ~950 fps with the .380 versus ~850 fps with the .45ACP

·
Banned
4,122 Posts
For the record, the G36 is my wife's first and favorite gun. She got it after liking my G26.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
That's what a friend's wife did, and then she found a semi-auto she could rack the slide on and now I think the revolver will get some shelf time. Seems like the biggest issues are the size and the ability to rack the slide. At least from the ladies I've worked with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.