This Stuff Never Happened Before Video | Page 10 | Carolina Shooters Club

This Stuff Never Happened Before Video

Discussion in 'Firearms News and Firearms related political news' started by Wahoo95, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Krabba

Krabba Registered Member

No, there is dashcam too which I've seen and it was shown in court. If there is video of what happened immediately prior to the shooting it hasn't surfaced and wasn't shown in court.

2. Studentofthegun

Studentofthegun Hall of Shame

Do we know it was a "he"?

It's a shame this has been prolonged. Charleston has had enough to deal with. The guy is guilty as far as I can tell. Haven't seen anything about the "first part of the video", so don't know what that's all about.

Krabba likes this.
  3. Krabba

Krabba Registered Member

We do as he was identified as a white male on Friday.

The problem with another trial is it seems the division was much deeper than what was released in court on Friday...

The 12 jurors encountered another impasse on the fourth day of deliberations, a divide much deeper than a series of notes and letters indicated earlier in their talks. An inkling that only one member refused to vote for a conviction had buoyed hopes among prosecutors and Scott's family, but they were all but dashed Monday morning when the panel said a majority of its members remained undecided — a development that quickly shifted hope to the opposite side of the downtown Charleston courtroom.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/...cle_b43c72ec-baad-11e6-a6eb-8714ab6ea5f8.html

4. Wahoo95

Wahoo95 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Yes, Slager says there was a struggle and Scott took his taser which he says caused him to be in fear of his life as it could be used against him. It's a great story for those who want a reason...any reason not to convict, however the problem with that is the taser can be seen on the ground and the man was not a threat while running away. It even looks like Slager looks down at the taser before shooting. The fact that he didn't even begin to chase says what his mindset was to me as he calmly drew his pistol and shot the many then calmly planted evidence on him.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

5. Studentofthegun

It is unfortunate but accurate to say that the "justice system" is a misnomer. The cold, technical answer is that we are not entitled to justice. We are only entitled to due process.

There's a reason I largely support The Innocence Project.

Mr. Warren Peace and Matt.Cross like this.
  6. 1406

1406 Provider of Facts

Are you faulting the jury selection process?

Would you apply that logic to other cases that recently made national news? Kerrick, Freddy Gray and so on?

It's my belief the purpose of the selection process is to ask certain questions of potential jurors in order to either expose their prejudice(s) and/or evaluate their exposure to the case.

7. Matt.Cross

Matt.Cross Well-Known Member

I would argue that we are entitled to justice, but are forced to accept the substitution of due process.

Stick and Studentofthegun like this.
  8. Krabba

Krabba Registered Member

No, I'm saying people lie under oath all the time and that one juror may have lied his way through voir dire. It is really moot though as we now know the majority of jurors couldn't come to a conclusion.

9. Matt.Cross

Matt.Cross Well-Known Member

This is why regardless of my guilt or innocence, I would never want to stand trial. I have no faith in that subset of my fellow citizens likely to make jury selection.

10. Studentofthegun

If the majority of jurors couldn't come to a conclusion do you believe that means that several of them were driven by racism? Seems that was your accusation when it was a single juror. Does it still apply now that we know there were several?

11. Krabba

Krabba Registered Member

Could be, or they may just be stupid. Maybe they are badge bunnies/boot lickers. I would never discount potential implicit bias.

12. Studentofthegun

Well you could have a combo. One racist, one badge bunny, one boot licker and one idiot.

Kind of like Combination #15 at the local Mexican place. Little bit of everything. One chalupa, one chile relleno, one burrito, one taco...

9outof10mms and Krabba like this.
  13. Krabba

Krabba Registered Member

Mmm... Mexican. If I didn't just have it for dinner last night and thought my innards could take it I'd do it for lunch.

Studentofthegun likes this.
  14. Studentofthegun

Done that before. Generally not advisable.

15. Studentofthegun

I agree with you.

16. NonamehaveI

NonamehaveI That guy that did that thing Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

It is however completely impossible that they have seen evidence that you haven't and are basing judgement on that instead. :p

17. Cowboysfan

Cowboysfan Well-Known Member

Is that kind of like if you were selected for this case right now you would be unbiased? It seems to me that the prosecution would know they would have to change at least a few of their minds the same as the Defense would have to think the same.

NonamehaveI likes this.
  18. Krabba

Krabba Registered Member

Nope, not at all impossible. I'll ask you, given what we've seen on video, what evidence would you need to not vote for at least a manslaughter charge?

Fairly certain I wouldn't be selected. You can't change anyone's mind no matter how strong the evidence presented if they have simply decided they "cannot and will not" convict.

19. NonamehaveI

It would have to be EXTREMLY compelling, and when it was reports of a single juror, I would probably agree with your original assessment of someone who's mind was made up before they trial began, but with reports of several jurors being undecided I would have to be open to the fact that compelling evidence that hasn't been presented to the general public does exist.

9outof10mms likes this.
  20. Krabba

Krabba Registered Member

The trial was streamed live. I watched a good bit but not all of it. I haven't seen a single report of any such evidence and I'd assume it would have made the rounds by now.

It seems on Friday there was a single "holdout" but that somehow changed to the "majority" after a weekend in which there were no deliberations.

21. NonamehaveI

Which news is the fake news!!??? I can't tell anymore :eek:

22. 9outof10mms

9outof10mms Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

This.

While it's easy (and human) to pin the "blame" on someone being biased in some manner, I see the only blame being solely on the prosecution. ***OR*** maybe there's something we're not privy to outside the courtroom that removes the perceived guilt. If we're all harumphing about justice and a well-working judicial system, you have to remember that "not guilty" is always a possible outcome. With 12 people on a panel (jury) and an appreciable percentage of them are not convinced, I tend to believe one of the two scenarios I presented in this thread.

NonamehaveI likes this.
  23. Cowboysfan

Cowboysfan Well-Known Member

That's my point, even with improper jury selection you are still going to have to make your case with people that you think will go your way. Juries are the ultimate wildcard.

24. Krabba

Krabba Registered Member

Disagree. I think the prosecution did an excellent job in this case.

What might that something be since we are speculating? Why should it come into play if it is outside of the courtroom? Another possible outcome is a mistrial which this was, not a "not guilty" verdict.

What two scenarios were those? With this thread 15 pages long and over 18 months old I can't recall.

25. 9outof10mms

9outof10mms Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I'm saying in a black & white, literal since, there are only two practical options/reaosns here since the jury was appreciably hung: poor prosecution or he's innocent.

Bad typo on my part. I meant we (on the outside) weren't privy to something that was presented inside the courtroom. No idea what that "something" could be, but the jurors either saw (or didn't see) something that made them question his guilt.

The two I presented: poor prosecution or true innocence.

26. Krabba

Krabba Registered Member

Again, disagree. Jury nullification could certainly be a reason.

27. SPST

SPST Well-Known Member

I don't see how they didn't convict Slager. He should have chased the dude down and body slammed him. I could have even caught him as slow as he was running.