Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used up my last PPP getting a Ruger LCP Max, and have been looking for a decently priced Beretta Bobcat to buy. Not in any hurry, it's something that catches my fancy. Probably a few people have been wondering the same thing as me. Is there a time frame for the potential PPP repeal, if it even happens, or is it better to just go ahead and apply for another couple of PPPs? Personally, I think the background check for the PPP is a solid idea, but it's also a hassle for me to drive down to the busy area in the center of the city, find parking, walk to the courthouse and wait to fill out the paperwork and pay the fee, then walk back to truck and drive home- usually an hour+ of time, and then repeat the same process in a week to pick up the PPPs. So if the PPP law is repealed, it becomes easier for me to make an occasional pistol purchase. Anyone have any thoughts on this? If you don't have a CC, are you waiting out a repeal, expecting it to happen in a certain period, or does it make more sense to go through the hassle of getting a PPP? All I've seen recently is the legislature voted for a repeal in late February. The expectation is it will be vetoed, then sent back and the veto will possibly/likely be overridden by the legislature, but no mention of when.

· Premium Member
11 Posts
I believe it went through both house & senate and is waiting for the Gov. to ether sign or veto the bill. But after his big speech yesterday, {JB's gun control & NC} it is likely to fail. You can always take the plunge and get a CCW and then you don't have to visit the courthouse so often. {Unless you live in Meck Co} I still remember the days when you didn't have to jump through the hoops, and it was nobody's business what you did as a law abiding citizen, and person to person transactions were commonplace. {the dreaded Gun Show Loophole?} {Armslist NC}

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. Someday I'll do the CCW course, just haven't had the free time, or enough of it, to spend a weekend doing it. I don't need any more firearms, truth be told, but every now and then I get enthusiastic about buying something new.

· Registered
139 Posts
No matter whether you're accumulating more... or just updating to better... an instant background check is enough. No need to play mother-may-I with your county's sheriff's dept if the FFL can instantly check you out (though Cabarrus Cty is effortless... I pity you folks in that Mecklenburg Libtardia). I think there are enough Senate votes to override a veto this time... it was pretty bipartisan, because the whole process costs deputy hours that can be better used in law enforcement, not nanny-stating.

· Registered
280 Posts
I believe it went through both house & senate and is waiting for the Gov. to ether sign or veto the bill. But after his big speech yesterday, {JB's gun control & NC} it is likely to fail. You can always take the plunge and get a CCW and then you don't have to visit the courthouse so often. {Unless you live in Meck Co} I still remember the days when you didn't have to jump through the hoops, and it was nobody's business what you did as a law abiding citizen, and person to person transactions were commonplace. {the dreaded Gun Show Loophole?} {Armslist NC}
The bill is sitting on Coops desk. The 25th is the last day for him to sign or ignore. Three Dems voted for the bill two were expected, one wasn't. If you have been following what's going on, Coops party is turning on him.

If your not following GRNC and/or GOA, start. There are a few more of his party we are aware of that might vote for overturn. The news media has given him an "out". Just ignore it.

We'll see very soon.

· Registered
16 Posts
I used up my last PPP getting a Ruger LCP Max, and have been looking for a decently priced Beretta Bobcat to buy. Not in any hurry, it's something that catches my fancy. Probably a few people have been wondering the same thing as me. Is there a time frame for the potential PPP repeal, if it even happens, or is it better to just go ahead and apply for another couple of PPPs? Personally, I think the background check for the PPP is a solid idea, but it's also a hassle for me to drive down to the busy area in the center of the city, find parking, walk to the courthouse and wait to fill out the paperwork and pay the fee, then walk back to truck and drive home- usually an hour+ of time, and then repeat the same process in a week to pick up the PPPs. So if the PPP law is repealed, it becomes easier for me to make an occasional pistol purchase. Anyone have any thoughts on this? If you don't have a CC, are you waiting out a repeal, expecting it to happen in a certain period, or does it make more sense to go through the hassle of getting a PPP? All I've seen recently is the legislature voted for a repeal in late February. The expectation is it will be vetoed, then sent back and the veto will possibly/likely be overridden by the legislature, but no mention of when.
I also enjoy different pistols for enjoyment. My latest is the Kahr Arms P380. It's really nice, but takes a 200 round break in. I would like a Baretta Bobcat or Taurus PT22, for fun. I'm even looking at the Standard Manufacturing SwitchGun (22WMR revolver), but prices and other considerations (spouse type), slow me down. As for PPPs? They are good for 5 years, in my county, so of you don't have a CCP, get a couple. It's a decent way to go until they get a better system.

· Registered
280 Posts
I also enjoy different pistols for enjoyment. My latest is the Kahr Arms P380. It's really nice, but takes a 200 round break in. I would like a Baretta Bobcat or Taurus PT22, for fun. I'm even looking at the Standard Manufacturing SwitchGun (22WMR revolver), but prices and other considerations (spouse type), slow me down. As for PPPs? They are good for 5 years, in my county, so of you don't have a CCP, get a couple. It's a decent way to go until they get a better system.
Before you get a Taurus PT22, find someone that has one that works. Rarely get more than 2 rounds off before having to clear a jam of some sort.

You mention the 5 year PPP. Do you realize the left thinks a permit (background check) that is good for 5 years is better than a POS background check?

I believe it was about 10 years ago se forced the GA to do a study to see how many PPPs were in the hands of someone that was not a felon when purchased and became one after purchasing the 5 year background check. They found there were over 5000 permits in the hands of felons.

· Registered
16 Posts
Before you get a Taurus PT22, find someone that has one that works. Rarely get more than 2 rounds off before having to clear a jam of some sort.

You mention the 5 year PPP. Do you realize the left thinks a permit (background check) that is good for 5 years is better than a POS background check?

I believe it was about 10 years ago se forced the GA to do a study to see how many PPPs were in the hands of someone that was not a felon when purchased and became one after purchasing the 5 year background check. They found there were over 5000 permits in the hands of felons.
I know about the PT22 issues, but want to work on the ramp and magazine issues. It's cheap enough. However the Beretta (like my neighbors), is much better.

Good point on the 5 year PPP. Actually Great Point..

· Registered
280 Posts
I know about the PT22 issues, but want to work on the ramp and magazine issues. It's cheap enough. However the Beretta (like my neighbors), is much better.

Good point on the 5 year PPP. Actually Great Point..
I got the mag working better, but it's been so long ago I don't remember what else I did to the gun. Don't remember if I ever got a full mag thru it without a hiccup. I picked mine up for $100 I think "knowing: I could fix it. Ha Ha.

· Registered
16 Posts
I got the mag working better, but it's been so long ago I don't remember what else I did to the gun. Don't remember if I ever got a full mag thru it without a hiccup. I picked mine up for $100 I think "knowing: I could fix it. Ha Ha.
lI understood the magazine had to be shaved off a little where the round exits. Now I must think about it, but am gravitated to trying it......BUT first, the Standard Manufacturing revolver (Maybe).

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You know, I read up on both the Bobcat and the PT22. As was mentioned above, there seem to be some of the PT22s that work well, and others that don't, and it's a real crap shoot which you'll get. The Bobcat is pricey, but people seem to have better luck with reliability. A number of the reviews on the Bobcat indicate it likes standard, rounded ammo, and a lot of people specifically said they use only CCI mini mag. There were various reports of hot .22 ammo like Punch and CCI Stinger getting hung up in the Bobcat, and the speculation was because it is just marginally, a few mm at most, longer, and that made a difference. I don't have any personal experience, just what I've read. The Bobcat is a neat pistol, just wish it was selling closer to $300, and not $500+.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts