Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found where I can get a decent deal (by today's standards I think) on an SKS $239 new (surplus). I'm going to look at them tomorrow. I've done some internet research on them, but I’m not sure I can pick the crappy from the desirables. I know about checking bores, fit, finish and general overall gun condition, but I’m just not familiar with telling apart all the differences in SKSs manufactured over the years. I think the Russians are generally considered the most coveted and some of the later Chinese are best to walk away from (stamped receiver) and others quite serviceable. My guess is these are going to be Chinese. Any tips on what to look out for? Is the price good?
My next question, I really have to ask myself. Do I really need/want one? I’m not rifle poor by any means (I have several), but this will be my first semi-auto center-fire rifle, so that fact and the low price is really drawing me into the desire to get one. I got an auto-loading shotgun, .22 rifle and several pistols, so I think I need a center-fire semi-auto rifle to go with them. I’ll probably hunt with it a few times, but mostly just plink and squirrel away for SHTF.
Thanks in advance for any opinions you want to leave.

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
I have a paratrooper model, it's a great shooter. Yep, that's a pretty good price.

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
I found where I can get a decent deal (by today's standards I think) on an SKS $239 new (surplus). I'm going to look at them tomorrow. I've done some internet research on them, but I'm not sure I can pick the crappy from the desirables. I know about checking bores, fit, finish and general overall gun condition, but I'm just not familiar with telling apart all the differences in SKSs manufactured over the years. I think the Russians are generally considered the most coveted and some of the later Chinese are best to walk away from (stamped receiver) and others quite serviceable. My guess is these are going to be Chinese. Any tips on what to look out for? Is the price good?
My next question, I really have to ask myself. Do I really need/want one? I'm not rifle poor by any means (I have several), but this will be my first semi-auto center-fire rifle, so that fact and the low price is really drawing me into the desire to get one. I got an auto-loading shotgun, .22 rifle and several pistols, so I think I need a center-fire semi-auto rifle to go with them. I'll probably hunt with it a few times, but mostly just plink and squirrel away for SHTF.
Thanks in advance for any opinions you want to leave.
The 239 dollar SKS is more than likely the old very used blade bayo Chinese SKS's that century has flooded the market with lately. They are 229 at aim surplus (the pic listed is one of the better ones I have seen, that's how rough they are! http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3CSKS&name=Chinese+SKS+7.62x39+Rifle&groupid=12 They do look very rough, but should shoot OK. Expect pitting and maybe some rust.

For 300 you could find a lot nicer used Norinco. Oh and there is nothing wrong with the stamped chinese sks's, they shoot just as good, and function as good. They also have a chrome lined barrel, which your Yugo's do not have. The SKS is a decent rifle for the money. They all work. The russians are nice, but you will pay a premium price, 425 and up, then you have special chinesse models like paracord joe's above that go 400+, I like the shortened paratrooper . For the money try to find a Yugo or Norinco / Chinese for around 300 or less.

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Love my Norinco!!! Bought it at Roses when they use to sell guns!

DS
LOL....I sold those guns at Rose's. I remember, they had them thrown in a old wooden barrel, all covered in cosmoline....and I said, who in their right mind would buy one of those pieces of crap (shiny stocks were the "in thing")....now I wish I had bought a ton of them. Eh, I was 17, didn't know better as my dad wasn't a gun guy.

·
'Murica! eh?
7,479 Posts
SKS is good at what it's designed for. It falls short when you try and modify it into a tacticool playtoy. Shoot it in it's original configuration with iron sights and stripper clip reloads and you'll enjoy it. If you start to think "well maybe I'll change this or that" it's time to sell it and buy an AK.

G

·
SKS is good at what it's designed for. It falls short when you try and modify it into a tacticool playtoy. Shoot it in it's original configuration with iron sights and stripper clip reloads and you'll enjoy it. If you start to think "well maybe I'll change this or that" it's time to sell it and buy an AK.
Even then people go overboard.. If you look at the russian military or spetsnaz, they do not use a bunch of crap on their rifles. A light and a kobra and thats it.

Move on to an AR!

I would spend a bit extra money and get a yugo if you want a nice looking rifle in better condition. However if well used military rifles is a plus(it is for me) then I would take the rust and bangs and go with one of these. I rarely find well used rifles that you cant squeeze another 5-10k rounds out of.

·
Banned
4,575 Posts
SKSs are fine old war horses that have proved themselves well. If you can find an "M" style (takes AK mags) it will probably suit you better over the years. I keep one as a "truck gun".

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
A little elbow grease and just a little cash and you can go tacticool on one easy. Shortened barrel, added flash hider, rail system, Dura coat, refinish wood and a cheap 2x7 power pistol scope and you have a wonderful scout rifle as seen here for a total investment of $336.27 ......................... Wood Air gun Shotgun Trigger Red

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
A little elbow grease and just a little cash and you can go tacticool on one easy. Shortened barrel, added flash hider, rail system, Dura coat, refinish wood and a cheap 2x7 power pistol scope and you have a wonderful scout rifle as seen here for a total investment of $336.27 .........................
<pic snipped>
How does that rail attach?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well after checking out the two SKSs they had on the shelf, I brought one home this morning. It was actually cheaper than I thought she quoted me over the phone. It was only $235 + tax. From what little I can find out so far it appears to be an early Chinese version that were supposedly built under Russian supervision sometime between 1956-65. That makes me feel a little better as I understand they are more desirable than the later Chinese models. The other SKS they has a little nicer stock, but the metal work on the one I picked seems to have a smoother and flusher fitting appearance. The bores on both were dirty, but I could not see any rust or pits on either. It has a darker stock, not the light colored wood I'm used to seeing from China SKSs. I need to clean it real good, oil the stock and buy some ammo to test it out next.
Trigger Air gun Shotgun Wood Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
Well after checking out the two SKSs they had on the shelf, I brought one home this morning. It was actually cheaper than I thought she quoted me over the phone. It was only $235 + tax. From what little I can find out so far it appears to be an early Chinese version that were supposedly built under Russian supervision sometime between 1956-65. That makes me feel a little better as I understand they are more desirable than the later Chinese models. The other SKS they has a little nicer stock, but the metal work on the one I picked seems to have a smoother and flusher fitting appearance. The bores on both were dirty, but I could not see any rust or pits on either. It has a darker stock, not the light colored wood I'm used to seeing from China SKSs. I need to clean it real good, oil the stock and buy some ammo to test it out next.
View attachment 32900
If it is a Jianshe Arsenal 26 (meaning it has a triangle with 26 in it) /26\ I can date it for you.
Tell me how many digits total are in the serial and what are the first 2 digits, and I can give you a date for the rifle.

Only 1956(Sino Soviets) and early 57's where made under Russian supervision with Russian parts (had artic birch stocks originally) , although all the early ones where made on Russian equipment given to china.

·
Registered
296 Posts
# 236867DUP One site I found dated it to late 1956 with the 6 digit serial number. The DUP stamped after the number is only stamped in one location together, everywhere else it is just 236867 by itself. I’m not sure what the DUP means but looks like a more recent stamp that may have been done when it was imported. It does have the 26 in a triangle on the left of the receiver. So I believe it was made at the Jianshe Arsenal in China. There is a C.A.I. Georgia, VT stamped on the barrel which I believe means it was imported by Century Arms International located in in Georgia Vermont. That is about all I have found out (or guessed at) so far. Did these have the chrome lined barrels?

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
# 236867DUP One site I found dated it to late 1956 with the 6 digit serial number. The DUP stamped after the number is only stamped in one location together, everywhere else it is just 236867 by itself. I'm not sure what the DUP means but looks like a more recent stamp that may have been done when it was imported. It does have the 26 in a triangle on the left of the receiver. So I believe it was made at the Jianshe Arsenal in China. There is a C.A.I. Georgia, VT stamped on the barrel which I believe means it was imported by Century Arms International located in in Georgia Vermont. That is about all I have found out (or guessed at) so far. Did these have the chrome lined barrels?
6 digit serials indicate a late 1956 usually. While not Sino Soviet, they say some of these where still put together using Russian Parts.

Look to see if you have sizing marks on the barrel. (1 or 2 maybe A) which would say Russian barrel.
Gas Auto part Cylinder Metal Gun accessory

Attachments

·
Wings of Gold 1990
6,752 Posts
I love mine and I'll finally get to shoot it this weekend. Yay for me.

·
Banned
13,863 Posts
I'm still kicking myself for not buying a case of the damned things a couple of years ago when I could get them for $85 each.
But at the time you would have never convinced me they would ever be worth more than $100.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There are two marks on the left side of the barrel above and below the gas collector ring but they look more like a backwards L than a 1. There is a number 1 stamped on the rear sight base under the lever for disconnecting the upper hand guard and gas piston. There is also (O) stamped with the number 40 stamped under it on the right side of the barrel ring just in front of the receiver. The number 30 is stamped on the front of the front sight. Not sure what any of that means. I have not remove the wood stock to look under that yet though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.