Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just doing a little "Google-ing" as I was bored tonight and typing different search terms. Doing a search on the word tactical, you come up with TONS of stuff. Tactical gear for firearms was the focus.

So....I see mega-tons of stuff for AR's, a healthy smackling for AK's and SKS, a bunch for 10/22's and many other assorted rifles.

My question is this...when did we come SO dependent on all this "stuff" and not on shooting alone? Seems we place a lot of trust in "stuff."

I was thinking as I was typing, I used to shoot pine cones off trees 30' in the air when I was a kid with my bb gun and all I had were open sights.

Have we, as shooters, come entirely TOO dependent on "stuff" and forgot the basics?

·
Banned
5,862 Posts
If I'm ever as good in my coming years as I was with my daisy BB gun . Ill be amazed. I've graduated to bigger and more powerful guns but I was hell w that BB gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Stuff" to a point can help...but at a point you can no longer buy yourself into better marksmanship.
That's one of the best things I have read on here in a long time.....

·
Banned
2,634 Posts
Just doing a little "Google-ing" as I was bored tonight and typing different search terms. Doing a search on the word tactical, you come up with TONS of stuff. Tactical gear for firearms was the focus.

So....I see mega-tons of stuff for AR's, a healthy smackling for AK's and SKS, a bunch for 10/22's and many other assorted rifles.

My question is this...when did we come SO dependent on all this "stuff" and not on shooting alone? Seems we place a lot of trust in "stuff."

I was thinking as I was typing, I used to shoot pine cones off trees 30' in the air when I was a kid with my bb gun and all I had were open sights.

Have we, as shooters, come entirely TOO dependent on "stuff" and forgot the basics?
Same reason weekend hackers by a $2000 set of golf clubs. They "think" it some how makes them better.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Para cord yes, yes we have, but isn't all about fun and pushing yourself to learn and better yourself as a shooter? I give you my ar rocks a 1-4 scope and a red dot kicked at 45 as back up
Do I need it? No does it make for some fun times and great shots? Yes

·
Premium Member
4,984 Posts
Same reason weekend hackers by a $2000 set of golf clubs. They "think" it some how makes them better.
We discussed this once concerning golf clubs for example. When the first large, high coefficient club faced drivers came out, the sweet spot to make this work was about the size of a dime. So, only better player could take advantage of it. They provided maybe 10 to 15% improvement in performance to good players and basically provided little to no improvement for poor or average players. My feeling is that top players in any sport can make just about any equipment work. While poor to average players don't gain much from top equipment. Bringing this back to guns, most guns can out shoot most shooters. Only the top echelon can really take advantage of the best equipment.
But, we easily become gadget focused. I once saw a shotgun at a 3 gun match that had 18rds attached to it in some manner or form. I couldn't understand how he could even shoot it, especially quickly. I used to be that way and now lean more toward simpler is better. Because it's the shooter not the gun.

·
Premium Member
15,599 Posts
Been thinking about this, and again I guess it comes back to ones attitude. If you rely on the stuff because you think it's fun to collect and use and you have the money, then awesome...mallninja yourself out. I own some mallninja stuff myself because cool is cool.

However, if you pour money into it because you think the "stuff" will make you better or somehow take the place of training then to me that's a problem

·
Off to Greener Pastures
5,858 Posts
No matter how much money you spend on a custom pool cue...... Johnny Archer will stick kick your ass with a broom handle.

So, of course the answer is yes.

On a side note: If it says "tactical" anywhere on it or in the description of it, I am likely to not own it or buy it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If that stuff means more fun then I vote for more stuff. Plus I think variety and the belief that it may be easier for beginners with a bunch of toys added could only add new people looking for a hobby. Either they become shooters or the secondary market gets an increase in "once used assault rifle" postings that can be had at a good deal. Either one I'm okay with!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.