Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Out of all the years, different makes and models, Toyo's fuel pumps are rare to go out. What is or is not actually happening?
I agree with the post above, but I have known a few that needed replacement. I have been a Toyota enthusiast for a number of years now I can possibly help if you give us a little more information on your problem.

If you are interested in possibly trying some work yourself head over to yotatech.com great forum and lots of friendly people.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On your prius?
That's funny. No it is a 88 4runner. I have done the trouble shooting. Yotatech is suggesting either the relay or the pump. When I turn the key the pump does not turn on. I will be changing out the relay once I get some time to get to the store. But it is a low chance.

·
Premium Member
6,053 Posts
That's funny. No it is a 88 4runner. I have done the trouble shooting. Yotatech is suggesting either the relay or the pump. When I turn the key the pump does not turn on. I will be changing out the relay once I get some time to get to the store. But it is a low chance.
You can always jump the relay, then test for power at the pump. Test before you replace parts. Dont forget that the air flow meter does provide a ground path for the pump relay.

·
3,580 Posts
I assume it sits fairly often. Check to make sure you have power at the pump. When the weather changes hot to cold, or vice versa, rodents will start to make nests, and chew stuff up. I've had a few rodent damaged vehicles in the past couple weeks.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea it does sit. Doubt the rodents because the cats would get them.

You can always jump the relay, then test for power at the pump. Test before you replace parts. Dont forget that the air flow meter does provide a ground path for the pump relay.
Yea you lost me. I have very limited experience on mechanics. Just looking for someone local to give a hand. Then I am going to sell it because I dont have time to drive it.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Using a test light. Test the wires going into the fuel pump if you can get to them. This will determine if the relay is sending power to the pump. Test as close to the pump as you can find/reach. If no power there then it is either a relay issue or a wiring issue between the pump and relay.

·
Premium Member
6,053 Posts
At the fuel pump relay terminal, remove the relay. There will be for 4 terminals. With the key on, you should have 2 terminals hot, 2 not. One of the two not hot ones will be the ground. The other will be for the power to continue on. Using a test light with clamp end on battery negative locate the 2 hot ones. Then put the test lamp clamp on the positive side of the battery and locate the gound terminal. When the light lights up you will know that the power and ground are good. Then take a paper clip and bend it in to a U shape. One end goes to a hot source, the other goes to the one terminal that does nothing (that will be the continue wire to feed power to the pump). At this point the fuel pump should run.

If no one steps up close to ya, I will try my best to help walk you thru it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.