Trade in to FFL | Carolina Shooters Club

Trade in to FFL

Discussion in 'Handguns, Pistol Shooting' started by jb2sea, Aug 8, 2020.

1. jb2sea

jb2sea Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Question for you guys... if I trade in a handgun to a dealer/FFL, do I need paperwork from him? Or does he just put it in his book, and all I need is the receipt for the new gun?

2. Walt Sherrill

Walt Sherrill Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

A copy of the bill of sale ought to satisfy ANY questions that could ever arise from such a sale. It's not likely that any questions will ever be asked about a gun sold to a dealer, but just put the bill of sale (receipt) in with your other valuable papers. (Make sure the bill of sale/receipt shows the serial number.)

Ben W. likes this.
  3. jb2sea

jb2sea Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Problem is that I have a bill of sale for a TP9SFX for really, really cheap. No mention on that bill of sale at all about my trading in anything for the TP9SFX. This was done at a gun show, and they were crazy busy. Which I think is why it ended up like it did.

4. MurphyLong

MurphyLong sudo Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

BATFE doesn't care about price. They only care about the paper trail, and it is the responsibility of the FFL to update their own records to show they are now in possession of the firearm you traded in. It's not your responsibility to prove you no longer own it.

majicmike likes this.
  5. rellascout

rellascout Registered Member

No one cares. You traded it in. The FFL put it in his or her book and it is no longer in your ownership. If you were ever asked about the gun you traded you simply direct them to the FFL you traded it in to. If you need warranty work on the TP9SFX you will show your bill of sale. They will not care how much you paid for it.