Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have a BLACK vehicle, you need to try the Turtle Wax Black box!!!!!!! It is freakin AWESOME!!! It's about $16 at Wally world but man, it brings back the shine with a rich deep look! I only did my roof (PITA too!), and driver's side today as I ran out of daylight. It's an intense process as you have to put on a Pre-cleaner wax, then use the spray detail on micro-fiber cloths to remove the pre-cleaner wax. Then you do the Carnuba wax and then again use the spray detail on a fresh micro fiber cloth. Then I went over the area with a clean dry micro-fiber and it is as smooth as a baby's butt! I think I might go over the whole truck with Turtle Wax ICE after I get the Black box done. ICE is a polish, and I've been told you're suppose to WAX then POLISH.

Does anyone that has used the Black box know if you can wash your micro-fiber cloths..or will it mess up the washing machine? I'd much rather go spend $5-8 bucks for new ones than hear the Mrs. about messing up her washing machine! LOL

DirtySCREW

·
Banned
13,863 Posts
I've never used black box (wait I take that back. I dated a girl with that nickname). But I have used microfiber cloths on lots of things including waxes and put them in the washer with no issues.

Just don't use fabric softener on micro fiber.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I've seen kits with cleaners made for microfiber fabric. Last ones I washed I used Dawn dish detergent and ran them through the washing cycle twice. I let them air dry. I think that fabric softener, which most dryers are full of, in these fabrics may leave a streaky mess. This seemed to work.

I know that sometimes you just cannot get the streaks off glass. These streaks are supposedly being deposited on the glass by a contaminated cleaning cloth. Kinda makes sense.

I want to try one of those polishing machines.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've seen kits with cleaners made for microfiber fabric. Last ones I washed I used Dawn dish detergent and ran them through the washing cycle twice. I let them air dry. I think that fabric softener, which most dryers are full of, in these fabrics may leave a streaky mess. This seemed to work.

I want to try one of those polishing machines.
___________________________________________________________________________________________
Air dry is best on the microfiber, you can wash in sink with dish detergent and just hang to dry.

Be careful with the polishing machines they WILL burn the finish if not careful!!

I use a clay bar on my classic black Mustang and a PURE carnauba wax along with 8 hours and a six pack.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
If you have a BLACK vehicle, you need to try the Turtle Wax Black box!!!!!!! It is freakin AWESOME!!! It's about $16 at Wally world but man, it brings back the shine with a rich deep look! I only did my roof (PITA too!), and driver's side today as I ran out of daylight. It's an intense process as you have to put on a Pre-cleaner wax, then use the spray detail on micro-fiber cloths to remove the pre-cleaner wax. Then you do the Carnuba wax and then again use the spray detail on a fresh micro fiber cloth. Then I went over the area with a clean dry micro-fiber and it is as smooth as a baby's butt! I think I might go over the whole truck with Turtle Wax ICE after I get the Black box done. ICE is a polish, and I've been told you're suppose to WAX then POLISH.

Does anyone that has used the Black box know if you can wash your micro-fiber cloths..or will it mess up the washing machine? I'd much rather go spend $5-8 bucks for new ones than hear the Mrs. about messing up her washing machine! LOL

DirtySCREW
I hate to bust your bubble man, but you have gotten some bad information somewhere along the line. I own a high-end auto detail company, and I'll try to point you in the right direction

You first polish to remove any imperfections or defects, then wax last. Black Box TW is not a terrible product by any means, however its mostly a glaze type filler that uses a heavy oil cream to "fill" in the swirls and imperfections and then a wax or sealer on top to seal in the oils. Looks good temporarily, but once the wax starts to degrade...so will the oils...leaving you with the exact same paint problems.

For a better result, use a mild polish such as Meguiars Ultimate Polish and then seal with a paint sealant. The polish will remove *some* (it takes skill and a machine to 100% remove defects) paint defects and polish the paint to a smooth gloss. Seal with a paint sealant such as Duragloss #105 will last longer and on most colors look better than anything found in the Turtle Wax lineup.

And yes, you can wash MF's. Dry on low heat with no fabric softener. A splash of white vinegar in the wash will keep them fresh.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Brandon; is there any brand or kind of polisher that you would recommend? I understand that the fabric softener residue already in the dryer from previous use of fabric softener sheets can contaminate MF. That's why I air dried them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.