Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I own a lot of handguns, many made by some of the best known manufacturers. But I have to say for the money these two are hard to beat. The S&W 5906 (3rd Gen) can be found used now as police trade-ins for around $325-350. Many know how well made and solid these all steel 9mm service pistol are and what a pleasure they are to shoot. Most of the police trades I am seeing are in very good condition overall with only some moderate finish/holster wear. The example shown here I purchased last year for $330 and its in near perfect condition mechanically and looks great after I replaced the grips with new factory S&W grips. These are an exceptional values in a true fighting handgun and a renowned for their toughness and reliability.

The Daewoo DP51 is another lesser known but high quality handgun that can be found used in great condition for $250-300 range. They were made in South Korea and were patterned after the 3rd generation S&W semi-autos. The 5906 mags will work in the Daewoo and they also can use the same holsters. These pistols were the side arms of the S. Korean military and police for many years and are high quality military grade service pistols. This example shown was actually imported and distributed by Kimber. Since they are no longer imported parts availability over time could be an issues but this one has been 100% reliable.

If you are looking to pickup a solid, accurate and reliable handgun and are on a tight budget these two would serve you very well.

·
I'm told I'm pretty awesome...
8,590 Posts
+1 for the ol' steel framed S&Ws. If you can find them for these kind of prices they are worth it. I miss the 1006 I used to have. One of my sale regrets...

G

·
Yeah those old S&Ws are hefty but great guns. I almost bought one of the "compact" .45's a while back but it carried almost as heavy as a 1911 :(

·
Off to Greener Pastures
5,858 Posts
Does that Daewoo have the push forward hammer safety dealie? Don't know what it was called but I remember fondling a daewoo that had a different feature like that.

If I remember correctly you could just push the hammer forward as sort of a decocking deal.

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
The DaeWoo has what is called a Tri-action trigger: 1) hammer down, safety on or off, 2) hammer cocked, safety on, or 3) hammer cocked and then pushed forward to a hammer-down positon, safety on or off. In the third mode, pulling the trigger a bit safely and smoothly stages to the hammer back; continuing to the next step fires just like a standard "cocked and locked" SA gun. It's a noticeable stage and nothing that you're likely to pull through by accident.

I've had a couple of DaeWoos, including the .4o version, and liked them a lot. A 9mm I was talked out of was one of the most accurate 9mms I've owned. Regret that trade... (but the gun I got was very nice, too...)

·
Banned
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Is the S&W 5906 a 10-rnd or 15-rnd magazine?
15 rounds for the 5905 Smith while the Daewoo D951 uses a factory 13 round mag. The 5906 mags will seat and feed perfectly in the DP51 also which is nice.

·
Banned
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought you were gonna say the Glock 19 and the CZ75. What I get for thinking.
I also own both a CZ75 and G19 and they are certainly superb handguns but since both are still currently produced you generally can't purchase them used in the price range of the two listed here.

·
AKA Studly Hungwell
6,127 Posts
Another great find is a Arcus 98. I have one and cant say enough good things about,,Theres a guy on Arms who have a NIB 98dac for around 3. Its a copy of a Hi power that alot of people prefer ove the HP.. It also will accept HP mags.Its a service pistol for alot of police and Militaries around the World,,,,,,Dont take my word,,,google it. Truly a great find for less than 300 bucks

·
Banned
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does that Daewoo have the push forward hammer safety dealie? Don't know what it was called but I remember fondling a daewoo that had a different feature like that.

If I remember correctly you could just push the hammer forward as sort of a decocking deal.
The pistol can be fired in the conventional single action (SA) and double-action (DA) modes. The "fast action" mode allows the trigger travel of DA mode and the trigger weight of SA mode. This allows a more accurate first shot due to the lighter weight of the trigger. It is also safer due to the longer trigger travel required to fire the pistol.

·
Off to Greener Pastures
5,858 Posts
The DaeWoo has what is called a Tri-action trigger: 1) hammer down, safety on or off, 2) hammer cocked, safety on, or 3) hammer cocked and then pushed forward to a hammer-down positon, safety on or off. In the third mode, pulling the trigger a bit safely and smoothly stages to the hammer back; continuing to the next step fires just like a standard "cocked and locked" SA gun. It's a noticeable stage and nothing that you're likely to pull through by accident.

I've had a couple of DaeWoos, including the .4o version, and liked them a lot. A 9mm I was talked out of was one of the most accurate 9mms I've owned. Regret that trade... (but the gun I got was very nice, too...)
The pistol can be fired in the conventional single action (SA) and double-action (DA) modes. The "fast action" mode allows the trigger travel of DA mode and the trigger weight of SA mode. This allows a more accurate first shot due to the lighter weight of the trigger. It is also safer due to the longer trigger travel required to fire the pistol.
Yeah, i remember checking one of those out back in like late 80's/early 90's. Hadn't seen an action like that before and thought it was a pretty neat feature. Wish I would have bought it then as it was dirt cheap and at the time unheard of.

Years later, I saw cars by them and remembered that gun. It stuck in my mind being so nifty and different.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Love my S&W 4506! the thing shoots like a dream, but is way too heavy for daily carry.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.