Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unroasted green coffee beans. Vacuum sealed with Oxygen absorbers. They will keep for 20 years in the can.

This is a good idea, and the video is good to learn how to roast them. I was thinking of buying two 55 gallon drums of green beans and having them shipped up here the next time I go down. You could repack them in #10 cans back stateside. If someone wanted to speculate, I could see coffee being more valuable than cigarettes in a really hard situation.

http://www.campingsurvival.com/futureessentialscannedcoffeebeans.html

·
Banned
13,863 Posts
Unroasted green coffee beans. Vacuum sealed with Oxygen absorbers. They will keep for 20 years in the can.

This is a good idea, and the video is good to learn how to roast them. I was thinking of buying two 55 gallon drums of green beans and having them shipped up here the next time I go down. You could repack them in #10 cans back stateside. If someone wanted to speculate, I could see coffee being more valuable than cigarettes in a really hard situation.

http://www.campingsurvival.com/futureessentialscannedcoffeebeans.html
We've been working on this small scale to check the viability. What I can tell you from experience is that roasting a coffee bean is a gigantic pain in the ass. Professionals use machines that keep a constant temp by stirring, which also keeps them from overheating.

We have burned several batches and still don't have it dialed in. They go from under roasted to burned in the blink of an eye.

·
Banned
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HEH. The vid makes it look easy!
Typical, I suppose.

She seems to think that 500 degrees is the magic number. Is the video misleading, in your opinion?

We've been working on this small scale to check the viability. What I can tell you from experience is that roasting a coffee bean is a gigantic pain in the ass. Professionals use machines that keep a constant temp by stirring, which also keeps them from overheating.

We have burned several batches and still don't have it dialed in. They go from under roasted to burned in the blink of an eye.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Tabacco is grown in the US. coffee is not.
85% of the US population drinks more than one cup of coffee every day.
withdrawl symptoms from coffee include nasuea, headaches, blured vision, irritability and lack of energy. They are every bit as severe as withdrawl symptoms from heroin.
I have LONG advocated the storage of coffee over most foods or other items.

·
Zombie Task Force
1,972 Posts
I roast a majority of my coffee at home, but I'm not sure how I would do it in the event of an emergency. My method is a heat gun and a gutted bread machine to stir the beans. I can roast almost 2 lb at a time. I use a fan to blow away the chaff and a thermocouple to tell me the temp which will dictate the degree of roast. A little science and a lot of ductape. Did I mention my grinder is a 3lb burr grinder like they have in the grocery stores...yep, I do love some coffee.

Automotive tire Mechanical fan Flooring Gas Automotive wheel system

Attachments

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Personally, I'd buy pre-roasted, but un ground beans, and vacuum pack those. in a SHTF situation, finding a way to roast the beans (or sacrificing the fuel to do so) may be difficult. Save yourself a step.

Heck, in a SHTF situation, even that crystalised instant Folgers stuff would be better than no coffee at all.

·
Dog Defender
2,974 Posts
Tabacco is grown in the US. coffee is not.
85% of the US population drinks more than one cup of coffee every day.
withdrawl symptoms from coffee include nasuea, headaches, blured vision, irritability and lack of energy. They are every bit as severe as withdrawl symptoms from heroin.
I have LONG advocated the storage of coffee over most foods or other items.
I think you are on to something with the coffee. I could see things like coffee serving as a currency of sorts. Heck, in a bad situation I could see myself looking to trade anything I could for some coffee, especially if I had not had a cup in a long time. I would get over the nicotine but coffee is a must.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
concerning long-term storage:
1. tobacco doesn't. it gets 'buggy' within 6 months. weevils hatch. yucch.
freezing it delays hatching. refrigeration doesn't delay anything.
2. coffee is really/really sensitive. for long-term, go instant freeze dried.
3. tea. any kind of tea, lasts a long time without special treatment.
but, if you want friends, store sugar. it never spoils.

·
Banned
13,863 Posts
HEH. The vid makes it look easy!
Typical, I suppose.

She seems to think that 500 degrees is the magic number. Is the video misleading, in your opinion?
I didn't see a video in the link. I'm sure it can be done its either something stupid we're missing or t really is difficult.

And from looking at a few other posts I would say its the latter.

A popcorn popper sounds feasible and Holy crap dude, a heat gun, gutted bread machine and a fan. Damn you must love you some coffee.

·
Zombie Task Force
1,972 Posts
turkey - unroasted beans aren't sensitive, just keep 'em cool and dry.

Chad - yep, coffee is good! I've roasted in a popper, it just doesn't offer the control and volume of my head gun setup. I roast when green beans are less than what I can pay for roasted whole beans at Costco. Earlier this year green was less expensive, right now prices have dipped and roasted is slightly less so no roasting in about 2 months. Once the price changes again I'll roast again.

·
Dog Defender
2,974 Posts
i didn't see a video in the link. I'm sure it can be done its either something stupid we're missing or t really is difficult.

And from looking at a few other posts i would say its the latter.

A popcorn popper sounds feasible and holy crap dude, a heat gun, gutted bread machine and a fan. Damn you must love you some coffee.
lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.