Vanes vs feather. Short vs long | Carolina Shooters Club

Vanes vs feather. Short vs long

Discussion in 'Archery' started by fishgutzy, Oct 10, 2016.

1. fishgutzy

fishgutzy Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Since I started shooting I have used 4" feather (fake) fletched arrows.
    In China they use exclusively short vanes on skinny arrows. I'm guessing this is the Olympic set up since nobody in the city actually goes hunting or even 3d target shooting.

Does it really make that much difference in accuracy whether one has short (2 to 3") vanes or 4" fake feathers?

At Field & Steam I got the "short vanes are for compound."
    I shoot traditional.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  2. georgel

georgel Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/blog/feathers-vs-vanes-heres-what-you-need-to-know/

A comment from a thread about this topic on ArcheryTalk...

scott pretty much nailed it here...if you are tuned perfectly, blazers (or other small vane) IMO are better 1-they are MUCH quieter in flight and 2-, if they get wet, you'll have no problems....if you are NOT perfectly tuned or are getting minor fletch contact, etc...feathers will definately right some wrongs.....pretty much why you don't see any traditional guys use vanes

When I researched this a while back, I seem to remember I need to try feathers with my trad bow. Hadn't gotten there yet. :(

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    fishgutzy likes this.
  3. chiefjason

chiefjason Vendor Vendor

The reason trad guys use feathers is because of the contact. If you shoot a plunger the feathers move around the riser, vanes kick the arrow off the rest and riser. You will see some folks shooting whisker biscuit or hostage rests on recurves so they can shoot vanes. But there are problems with that. Had a kid trying to shoot a WB and his riser was too small. Pointed his arrow left instead of straight.

Olympic recurve is a different beast though. Looks like they are shooting plunger rests and tiny vanes but can't quite tell. And yes, the tiny arrows with tiny fletchings.

Now to mess with you. I've recently started bare shaft tuning my bow. At 20 yards I can put a bare shaft (no vanes), a fletched field point, and a broad head in about a 1.5-2" group. So I can shoot out to 20 yards with my compound without any fletchings at all and be as accurate as with them. Some guys can tune them out even farther.

fishgutzy likes this.
  4. 1406

1406 Provider of Facts

Could you share some tips on bare shaft tuning? I'm wanting to extend my effective hunting range up to 40 yds but I can't seem to group anything past 30 yds.

5. chiefjason

chiefjason Vendor Vendor

Do you have access to a bow press? Your Bear has yokes up by the idler wheel. You set the rest to center shot and set level. Wouldn't hurt to paper tune at that point. If all that is done the next step is to strip the fletchings off an arrow. You can leave the bottom where it's glued and it will not hurt, might help since it replicated the weight of a normal arrow there. Then shoot a bare shaft and a fletched shaft at a foam target from about 10 yards. Start close since the bare shaft can be off by a lot at first. How far the BS is off, what direction, and it's lean will tell you what to do with the yokes. Basically you add and remove twists in the yoke to bring the string into alignment with the center shot rest.

Have you paper tuned to walk back tuned it? Those are far easier and can take you in the right direction too.

Tons of info on Archery talk about it.

20 yards

[​IMG]

fishgutzy and 1406 like this.
  6. Red Cent

Red Cent Vendor Vendor

McLeansville, NC by way of WV SASS #29170L
  7. chiefjason

chiefjason Vendor Vendor

8. Red Cent

Red Cent Vendor Vendor

Bows 002.jpg Bows 003.jpg

This was purchased from Mountain Top Archery close to Davis, WV around 1990. Competed in 3D for quite a while. Decent speed for its time. A little heavy but accurate. Risers have come a long way.

9. chiefjason

chiefjason Vendor Vendor

fishgutzy likes this.
  10. fishgutzy

I guess I should try that bare shaft tuning as well. Done paper tune before but haven't done that with the new fast flight string Just eyeballing the arrow flight and target impact.

11. fishgutzy

12. pirate

pirate Ad Victoriam Club Subscribed

As others have alluded too feathers fly better off the shelf of trad bows. The feathers flatten out as they pass over the shelf where plastic vanes may jump on the shelf. Also make sure your brace height and nock point is at the best location for your bow. This is an important part of tuning the bow. It can make a big difference in accuracy.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  13. Goofyfoot2001

Goofyfoot2001 Active Member

Helical feathers are the only way to fly.

14. Red Cent

Red Cent Vendor Vendor

With a stick bow, feathers are good. Not really needed with a wheel bow unless you are shooting the old fashioned broad heads. Archers needed something to overcome the "winged" influence on the front by getting the shaft to spin. With the modern blades, feathers are not needed. Feathers will remove some symptoms of a badly tuned wheel bow by, again, stabilizing with the big rudders.

The stick bow speaks finger shooters and they really mess up the flight of the arrow. Another reason that feathers are good for stick bows.

Fingers
    http://www.businessinsider.com/watch-an-arrow-come-straight-at-you-in-slow-motion-2012-8
    (archers paradox)

No matter what you use, the arrow must be purchased/tuned to fit the bow. I used to tune the sans fletch arrow flight through paper at 25 feet and again at 50 feet. At 25', I wanted to see a round hole with a slight tear at 10:00. A round hole at 50 feet. If you can get that, they will group bare or fletched. After quite a bit of research and testing, I became a big fan of small, helical, plastic vanes.

Man, when one combines a compound bow, arrow rests, arrows, center shot, .................................................

15. Red Cent

Red Cent Vendor Vendor

Everybody is aware that a right hand fletch is necessary for the northern hemi-sphere.

16. chiefjason

chiefjason Vendor Vendor

I run straight fletch on my target bow, and all the girls bows. For the low poundage bows I don't want the extra drag. It's gonna spin anyway.

17. eddie0225

eddie0225 Member

if you want your bow tuned and restrung as it should be. Also where you will know exactly whats the best arrows to shoot out of it. If you don't mind spending a few dollars and aren't afraid to ship your bow. I know a guy who is well know to archers on Archery talk who shoot game and spots and can fix you up where you will be happy. My better half took up shooting the bow before guns and finally wanted a bow of her own well I got her one and it needed to be restrung so I sent her bow off to Crackers Carty/Mike Carter. He restrung the bow in the color strings she wanted tuned the bow for the string type she'd got and for the arrows she wanted to use. That was about 9 years ago oddly enough her strings are just as they were the day her bow got back home. she uses the same type arrows and was even told a brand that would shoot better if she ever wanted to try others,which I made her try once she still uses her brand. He's done our bows and we've never had any trouble with string creep or any problems with the strings period still got original servings and all. As far as vane or feathers if hunting. I prefer feathers I found them to react better if damaged that vanes but cause of cost I went with blazer vanes as them seem to be less app to have problems other than coming off, but feathers are best in my book if money is no problem

18. eddie0225

eddie0225 Member

oh if you want his contact number I can get it for ya