Very expensive rifle, and ammo test | Carolina Shooters Club

Very expensive rifle, and ammo test

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by ikarus1, Jan 30, 2015.

1. ikarus1

ikarus1 Well-Known Member

2. nbkky71

nbkky71 Registered Member

Yikes... a couple sites that I looked at sell the rifles for around $7K+

ikarus1 likes this.
  3. ikarus1

Yep. It had better shoot 3\8" groups at 75 yds

4. whiteboy

whiteboy Member

Shit, better shoot .23" groups at 100 for 7k

5. B00GER

B00GER Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

For 7k it had better shoot .23 groups at 100 while I'm back at the office having coffee and figuring out how I'm going to explain to my wife I dropped 7 Gs on a gun.

NCAV8TOR, Threshold and ikarus1 like this.
  6. zombienetwork

zombienetwork Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Shit it better shoot those qroups by itself with me sittin at home drinkin coffee usin my xbox console.

7. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Just goes to show how dependent a rimfire is on ammo used and how well the shooters working at the moment.
    It is good to know that even a low dollar plinker can hang with top end gear on any given day .

Now show the same test with a average guys rimfire range setup like a BX savage or CZ 452 American with a 200 dollar scope .

8. Winchester

Winchester Original Gangsta

**shart it better have fuel injection for $7k

9. ikarus1

lol I'm sure since the intended buyer is a biathlon or other olympic shooter most if not all of you are disqualified from ever owning one. I'm sure they're like Wilson Combat and have a waiting list of people lining up to give them $7K

10. Lager

Lager Registered Member

You are going to find that each different gun shoots this ammo test a bit different. I gave a lot of this ammo a test in my own CZ 455 that I use in 50 BR comps and my results were very different. I still have 950 rounds of the CCI standard left over from the test. It just didnt perform like that ammo test did.You results might vary, but I am interested if you tested it yourself and what you found? Strangely enough, I found the remmington Golden bulk ammo to shoot a lot better then the CCI in my gun. But, we are all different, whats acceptable to one person here will be different then another. I think a good term I heard here a while ago is MOS= Minute of squirrel.

11. SCshooter57

SCshooter57 Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Fixed that for you.:)

Chambered likes this.
  12. georgel

georgel Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Yeah, I kinda questioned the ultimate validity of this test because of this very thing. It only proved how all that ammo shot in that particular gun. YMMV, Your Mileage (Results) May Vary. Consistency is the key, which make the results with the Remington Golden bulk surprising.

When I had a Benelli Atlanta .22 Target Pistol (It's used as an Olympic training pistol.) I invested in some high dollar ammo, specifically Federal Gold Medal Match 900 and the practice version Federal 700. The rounds looked identical but the price was significantly less for the 700. I speculated they were manufactured the same, but that the 700's were QC cull outs. So, I took micrometers to them to see if there were any physical differences and found that the 700's had a noticeable variation in rim thickness, but the 900's were bang on the same with boring regularity. I actually started to sort regular ammo based on rim thickness. (Come to think of it, I still have a sealed brick of the 900 somewhere.)

But, back to the point, it's all about one gun and the one particular ammo it likes, cheap or expensive. Just like some shotguns pattern better with certain brands. The expensive ammo buys you consistency from round to round, but that doesn't guarantee it works best in your gun.

13. 11B CIB

11B CIB Taking a break, eh Club Subscribed

My neighbor has a very nice T/C .22 and it works as well with SK Standard as it does with Eley Match but not well at all with CCI Standard.

The ammo selection depends on the individual rifle as always

14. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

This test is really only relevant to the rifle used in the test.

15. Winchester

Winchester Original Gangsta

And rimfire ammo changes batch to batch. The same rifle won't like the same ammo produced years apart. I shoot ARA and RBA and the biggest thing is ammo testing. You have to find the right lot for your gun for that season. Some years my Anschutz may like black box at 1064fps and other years some other speed of black box or tennex. It just depends on the batch

16. Armorpl8chikn

Armorpl8chikn Lifetime Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

Are you saying that a $500 rifle will outperform the $7000 rifle?
    Where in that test does that myth rise to the surface?
    I have more than a couple years experience with low end and high end rifles alike. The budget rifle that is a "giant killer" is a myth. I wish I could buy a $500 rifle that will "consistently" outshoot a $1200 rifle....but I can't, and neither can anyone else.

drypowder likes this.
  17. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Can't help you if you don't get it . That test means so very little to any other seasoned rimfire shooter as it only worth while to that rifle in the weather conditions with those lot numbers of the ammo used . It is a good shooting rifle at its best but if brought it to a local match where ammo is supplied for you to use it may shoot at the bottom of the list below some guy with his 1960 tree rat rifle or some kid with his marlin 60 . When it shoots groups at a 100 yards of .455 that's good BUT 2.26 groups . I'm not sure I ever shot a group that bad at 100 yards . The one thing it did show that holds true ammo that's good at 50 yards may not be at 100 yards . And life goes on .

My best groups are only in the .6 range at 100 yards but its just a fun shot for me and I draw the line mostly at $11 a box ammo and mostly 7 to 8 a box . I have shoot very little of the higher priced ammo but the R-50 shots as well as the test shows . What does that tell you?? It tells me if I use a favored lot of mid range ammo like SK standard plus I'll out shoot that high dollar rifle with the same ammo with my savage on a good day also do it with some 922a federal gold medal and a handfull of others is far and away a better shooter under summer conditions . Does that test mean anything to most guys that enjoy shooting small groups ??? Nope , not a darn thang .

Sorry. Now let this old tread go back to sleep .

18. Armorpl8chikn

Armorpl8chikn Lifetime Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

WOW. You should come out and shoot some matches. You might teach us a thing or two. You will have to bring your own ammo.

19. Lager

Lager Registered Member

Hardluk, just a heads up? Armorpl8 is one of the best long range pistol and 22 cal rifle shooters in the entire Southeast and that's backed up with all the trophy's and awards he has won over the years.
    He is one of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet and has tutored many beginning shooters when they ventured into his game, such as me.
    He is is one of those guys that will out shoot you using your own gun and ammo, hand it back to you and say " Nice gun". Then tell you how you can do it better, even tho hes competing against you. He i s that kind of a guy..
    When he talks, I listen.

20. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Wow what can I say, hes a wonderful guy and a great shooter !! Maybe its his rifle or one of the shooters . I have maybe been lucky and hard some really good days at the range over the years I also been whopped 6 ways from sunday buy some other average shooters. One guy that always had the rifle to beat till his ammo was used up and then he became just one of the bunch for a while . Its just fun . Some guys seem to take this tooo seriously . One fellow back in florida was a very good shooter and could be expected to finish well . But to pull out a well scoped marlin 60 and shoot a few + or -.30 groups at 50 yards ? Could he do it next week ?? I done with this tread . Some here take it to seriously .
    Have a good day Lager .