viper or swfa? | Carolina Shooters Club

viper or swfa?

Discussion in 'The Snipers Nest' started by James Harnish, Feb 9, 2017.

1. James Harnish

James Harnish Registered Member

I'm in the market for a new scope since the weaver kaspa is a p.o.s and stopped tracking. I am split between a vortex viper 4-12x40 or a swfa 10x42. both scopes are roughly the same price, i am just wondering if anyone has experience with either. Its getting mounted onto my 6.5 grendel ar15

2. East of Here

East of Here Registered Member

What type of shooting are you planning on doing the most with the rifle? It seems like comparing those 2 scopes is like comparing an apple to an orange, so to speak. Unless I am mistaken, that Viper model is geared to be a hunting scope and does not have tactical turrets. So if you are going to mostly hunt with the rifle, then the Viper will be a good choice. However, if you want to do any long range target shooting, then the SWFA tactical turrets are going to be a much more desirable option and the SWFA will be much better suited to range shooting tasks than the Viper. Also, the Viper is a second focal plane scope, whereas the SWFA is fixed magnification, so that's another consideration - though there really isn't much difference between 10X and 12X, to me at least. Are these the only 2 scopes you will consider? If not, there are other decent 'budget' options out there that may give you more flexibility.

I have this scope on my 6.5 Grendel AR currently, and I regularly shoot it out to 1000 yards and back with no problem:

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-4-14x44mm-riflescope-acss-r-grid-reticle-pa4-14xffp-r-grid

Granted, it is not nearly as good as a US Optics, [insert $2000+ scope here], or even my Viper PST's for that matter. And you are not going to win any matches with it. But for a budget scope, it still works correctly and gets the job done for pennies on the dollar as compared to the 'quality' optics.

3. James Harnish

James Harnish Registered Member

The weaver i had got me past 500 yards before breaking, so it'll kinda be a dual purpose Hunting/ Steel ringer scope. I am mostly focused on reliability and reputability for longer shots. Its nice to have turret caps but its not a deal breaker. I am indifferent when it comes to second focal plane. I like how sfp gives me ranging hold over options based on the magnification. I have been looking at alot of scopes and it seems to always come back to these two.

4. richard corn

richard corn Hall of Shame

then pick one

5. TPH

TPH Registered Member

I bought the 12x42 SWFA for my 6.5 Grendel; I figured it would mostly be for ringing steel and since on most of my scope I am always at max power anyway I would give it try. I am glad I did, very clear, very nice reticle (MOA) and can beat the price. No regrets and will more than likely get another one or two.

Loranimal likes this.
  6. Phantom

Phantom Member

SWFA is a good scope. You can't go wrong with one.

7. sdiver2006

sdiver2006 Well-Known Member

ask JBoyette a member here, and does long range shooting and classes. He is a wealth of knowledge in this area.

My 2 cents

SDIVER2006

elenaidan likes this.
  8. Red_SC

Red_SC Member

The SWFA is going to be the more reliable of those two.

9. chuckman

chuckman Well-Known Member

Of those two, for your application, the SWFA.

elenaidan likes this.
  10. chad

chad Member

I have never owned a vortex other than the red dots, However I have had several SWFA scopes and they are hard to beat for the money.

11. Loranimal

Loranimal Registered Member

I was going to write this except that mine is mounted on a 338 LaPua. Nice scope.

12. FrontLineDefense

FrontLineDefense Range Owner-Instructor

Vortex Viper PST. Pay once cry once. I have 7 of them and now a Razor. I use them on all my Range Rental Rifles and it's the number one scope you'll see at matches.........

mda57 and JimP42 like this.
  13. elenaidan

elenaidan Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

I have been hearing this, but only from the interwebs. First time I have heard someone with actual skills and real life experience state it so plainly. That, in and of itself, carries great merit.

FrontLineDefense likes this.
  14. FrontLineDefense

FrontLineDefense Range Owner-Instructor

Yeah I ain't a salesman for them. Call Carolina Gun Runners in Raleigh and ask for Casey. He'll tell how many scopes he moves from my range members and the shooting public. I don't make a penny off of them. I've shot them all basically and keep coming back to them. Are they perfect, nope. They are made by human beings. They do have some of the best customer service and warranty out there.
    Last year I was heading to a match in TN and forecast was 100% CRAP! I called Vortex and talked about their Defender Scope caps. They sent me two sets over night for me and my team mate. No additional shipping. It's the little things that earn and keep my business.
    Not sure where you live but if you want to come up this weekend or next and look through some, feel free to.
    Tomorrow I have a Long Range Class, but you can still come up and see them. Be warned that you will drool lol. With 12 students I'm always amazed at some of the $$ folks are dropping on rigs lol

elenaidan likes this.
  15. elenaidan

elenaidan Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Excellent. I have known Casey for years. I would trust him with my kids. If he says they are the real deal, I would take that as the gospel.

mfoley likes this.
  16. RJT

RJT Club Subscribed Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

Just FYI SWFA is running sales and their 2x15x42 ffp m/m is currently $399.99 which is a great deal.

17. Chuckcraig

Chuckcraig Lifetime Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

SWFA in my opinion...I've had them all... and I had one awful experience with a vortex and it pretty much sealed their fate with me. The vortex reps name was Mike.
    I understand things happen and problems arise, and when they do I judge on how they are handled. Bottom line was the windage turret was trash from factory, and it literally took (2) weeks of BS for them to agree it needed to be sent back. They finally made it right, I still have the scope. It does well but I'll never buy another.... on the other hand, I've never had a single issue with the SWFA's so they may have smart @$$ reps as well but they track amazingly and are stupid clear and well built for the $. I'd say a fixed 10 or 12 would do you great.

18. Chuckcraig

Chuckcraig Lifetime Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

Their customer service sucks!!!

19. pineoak

pineoak Registered Member

RJT's 3-15x recommendation is a common one. I'm not a fan of the glass but for the price, it's not too bad

Id get the 12x for target shooting. 10x is about the same, just slightly less mag. skip the 16x, too dark.

I'd go SWFA over Vortex. Anything in the Razor line is great, anything below it become more "disposable" and less reliable.

SWFA does Black Friday sales if you're patient. Mil quad reticle for sure.

use a plumb bob when setting up your scope, get a cheap no name cant indicator, and use it EVERY time. these two simple and cheap things will help out a LOT past 500 yards.