Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would raising rabbits be beneficial for meat? How much is involved?

DS

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Rabbits are a good source of cheap meat and are great since they don't have to "free range", don't make noise and don't cause an odor problem. Check your local 4H or extension agent to find the local group of rabbit ranchers. There have been a ton of articles about it in Mother Earth news. Seems the main thing that will cost is rabbit food. You do have some latitude. There is some sort of equation to figure time to harvest vs feeding. Also the does need a breeding schedule.

Here is a link to an old (1970) MEN article for an overview. http://www.motherearthnews.com/sustainable-farming/breeding-rabbits-zmaz70mazglo.aspx I'm guessing the basics are the same. Good kid chore till it is time to slaughter.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I raised rabbits but it was a long time ago so I can't give you good price info. They are easy to raise and you don't need a lot of equipment. I made the hutches myself - welded wire and J-clips. Feeding bins and water bottles are cheap and available at any farm store or online. Hang the hutch 3-4 feet off the ground so you have a comfortable working height and can clean underneath. You'll need protection from rain and cold weather. I had 1 buck and 4 does and never had a shortage of meat. You need a separate hutch for each adult - they fight. Harvest at about 10 weeks of age which gives you 2 legs about the size of a chicken leg, 2 back&ribs a little smaller than a chicken breast and 2 front legs about like chicken wings. It is all white meat and much better than grocery store chicken. And it tastes nothing like that frozen rabbit you can buy in the grocery store.

·
Banned
4,575 Posts
Also used to have them. Still have the pens but next time will go to a different type to give them more room to play/move. They eat a lot but it is not expensive. They love fresh grass and most table scraps. Roving dogs will kill them quickly if not kept safe. Easiest way is raised cages but then they are confined too much--IMO.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
I looked into this too.You-tube has some pretty good vids on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.