Wake County Firearms Training Center closing | Carolina Shooters Club

Wake County Firearms Training Center closing

Discussion in 'Firearms News and Firearms related political news' started by netbrad, Dec 18, 2019.

1. netbrad

netbrad Registered Member

2. Barrett

Barrett Registered Member

3. Jim T.

Jim T. Registered Member

4. netbrad

netbrad Registered Member

The petition isn't going to do anything. You need to contact the Wake County Board of Commissioners, maybe GRNC. It sounds like they ran out of money and/or it wasn't accounted for properly.

5. garandium

garandium Registered Member

from my understanding the Sheriff wants to use it a s training center for police completely with mocked up cities. Not to mention he is anti-gun anyway (for citizens anyway). Its win win for him.

6. majicmike

majicmike AKA Studly Hungwell Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

I’ve never shot there but this is a big lose to the shooting community.

7. SkydivnShooter

SkydivnShooter Staff Member Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

I've shot there, taught there and taken classes there. This sucks. This sheriff needs to be voted out and move on...

8. garandium

progressive sheriff.

anti-gun
    pro illegal immigration

That is pretty much what dems stand for now.

Its essentially a county park it really does not need to make money to stay in buisness. although I wish they had much better hours. The sheriff did not renew his contract with them.
    the county commissoners expeted to at least be notified. they weren't

Total BS power play by the Sheriff.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    Alex Keaton likes this.
  9. Barrett

10. SkydivnShooter

11. garandium

can you cut and paste the article. I not paying for that rag even in electronic form. A quick search on this Sheriffs name clearly shows that he ius not the right person for the job.

1. Budget issues
    2. Personnel issues
    3. Friends of the Sheriff you get a job issues
    4. policy issues
    5. Now this.

Given that Wake county is infested with democrats and progressive it may be difficult to be rid of him.

I know I'll do my part.

SkydivnShooter and JimP42 like this.
  12. Barrett

[​IMG]

The Sheriff’s Office abruptly ended its contract with Range Safety Management (RSM) because of the company’s “lack of profitability” and cash handling concerns, according to a Wednesday news release from the Sheriff’s Office. RSM manages the part of the center that is open to the public.

More than 5,000 people signed a petition to keep the center open to the public.

MOVING TOO QUICKLY?
    The chairman of the Wake County commissioners says Sheriff Gerald Baker acted too hastily in announcing a plan to close the county’s firearms training center to the public.

“It’s important to note that the county owns the facility, and the Sheriff’s Office operates it,” Commissioner Greg Ford said in a statement late Wednesday. “Based on this joint partnership, it’s reasonable to assume that we would reach an agreement on a decision of this magnitude together before making an announcement. That was not the case (Wednesday).”

There was a 2008 agreement between the county and the Sheriff’s Office stating the sheriff would oversee the management of the firearms center even though the county owns the property. Friday’s memo states the county will now oversee the management of the center.

“The Sheriff’s Office is, essentially, a tenant of the building the county owns and given the tenant has canceled the contract with the vendor, and is not acting in good faith as a partner with the county as intended, we are reviewing all options,” Ford said Wednesday.

The Sheriff’s Office had agreed to honor classes for the public through Jan. 5.

“It is never helpful when you are in a relationship or partnership and one party is making a significant decision and not letting the other member of that relationship know about it in advance or even discussing it with us before making an announcement,” Ford said. “This is not about party or politics, this is about public service.”

CONFLICTING STATEMENTS
    The Sheriff’s Office’s news release stated county staff “agreed with the decision, after reviewing what amounted to a lack of financial stability, resulting in the sheriff’s office subsidizing the private company’s sustainability, for the past seven years,” according to a WCSO memo.

Ford said that is not true.

“The sheriff’s statement clearly says there was collaboration between his office and Wake County government staff and that is, unfortunately, not the case,” he said.

No Wake County staff members who “would normally be involved” were contacted or knew closing the center to the public was a possibility, Ford said.

In a phone call Thursday, sheriff’s spokesperson Eric Curry said the statement’s reference to “the decision” that county staff had agreed to was actually about the county’s awareness of the financial concerns.

“In the statement, it was (that) the county staff was aware of the accounting inconsistencies, but in regard to the decision making, (the) decision of canceling the contract was solely the sheriff’s,” Curry said.

When asked if county staff knew the center would be closed to the public before the news release was sent out, Curry said the sheriff made the decision with input from his senior staff and staff members at the training center, but he wasn’t sure whom Baker spoke with.

Ford also called the “findings” about handling money insignificant.

LISTEN TO OUR DAILY BRIEFING:

[​IMG]

13. Ken Murray

Ken Murray Registered Member

I heard the county was just going to take control away from the Sheriffs Dept. and run it as a Wake County facility open to the public.

SkydivnShooter and JimP42 like this.
  14. Miss Lily

Miss Lily Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

If any of you are interested, this site was created yesterday to provide up to date information regarding the Wake County range.

15. Snap1

Snap1 Registered Member

Thanks, will this link update with any new info as the date draws near?

16. Miss Lily

It will be updated with any new information as it is received. If you are planning to attend the Board meeting, please RSVP at the link on the site.

17. garandium

Members and Students,

You are receiving this email because you are either a member or student at Wake County Firearms Education and Training Center.

Here is the latest update on WCFETC. The Wake County Commissioners will be discussing the future of the range at their next meeting on January 6. We would like to pack the room with supporters. The details are below. If you intend to come, please click on the Eventbrite link and sign up (there is no cost). That way we will have a rough idea of how many people will be there.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/wake-c...-discussion-tickets-87489462337?aff=ebdssbeac

Monday, January 6, 2020, 5 – 7 pm

Wake County Justice Center – Room 2700

3100 South McDowell Street

Nash Square Entrance

Raleigh, NC 27601

Thanks for your support of WCFETC.

John Neblett, Instructor and Range Officer WCFETC

18. garandium

who is going

I can't believe no one has replied to this post

what happened to this board?

19. fieldgrade

fieldgrade Hall of Shame

There were lots of people in the Wake county gun community there tonight. And from this board. They just post in other places.

20. Miss Lily

The turnout was unbekievable! I was awed by the number of people that got up and spoke. I overheard a comment from one of the commisioners that thought we did a great job, were respectful and presented our case well.

Fingers crossed.

21. NC FNP(

NC FNP( Registered Member

Any news on the status of the range? Minmal info is posted on the SO's webpage.

22. Tigard

Tigard Member

From WakeRange.com:

1/15/20 – FINAL UPDATE – Where do we go from here?

Sometime today, RSM senior management will head over to the range one last time to pick up the paperwork and odds and ends that constitute the company’s property remaining at the FETC. I would imagine that the flood of memories and the awkward glances from WCSO staff you used to consider friends will make it uncomfortable for the fellas – this is not how they deserved to go out. Just shameful.

If you watched the video from Monday’s work group you know that there are still many questions left unanswered. It will be interesting and instructive to keep an eye on doings at the WCFETC to see how it all eventually shakes out. Will they, in fact, continue to offer public access to the range or will Sheriff Baker get his dream of an LETC free from the vermin of the public (BTW, aren’t LEO’s citizens just like non-LEO’s?). If public hours are offered, will there be more than the 20 hours a week offered by RSM or fewer? [ED: My personal opinion – there WILL be public hours. There will be four of them between 8am and noon on Sundays, twice a month] Does my range card still get me in or do I need to pass another orientation to use the range? Do the annual members get a discount or refund? Any updates on that $100,000 Feasibility Study? And of course, how will the range become MORE profitable if you’re running it FREE to the public?

We here at WakeRange.com will be stepping back from the daily monitoring of the situation but we’ll not step down. 8500 people signed Mark Valetta’s petition, WakeRange.com has been accessed 2000 times, 300-ish people actually showed up for the Commission meeting on the 6th – that’s a lot of folks with a passion for keeping the range accessible and safe for the shooters of Wake County. That’s also a lot of eyes and ears that can watch and listen for updates on circumstances at the Wake County Firearms Education and Training Center. Over the next several weeks and months if you see or hear of any developments please ping a quick email to [email protected] or tweet to @TheProfounds . We’ll continue to update this site as a resource for all concerned. Also, we’ve listed the email addresses of each of the County Commissioners on the website for your convenience. It seems important that they be kept informed of the consequences of their actions as time goes by.

It has been a true pleasure and honor serving as your RO’s, Instructors and friends over these many years. The warm memories will be with us always.

SkydivnShooter and Miss Lily like this.
  23. rintintin68

rintintin68 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Recent update via email.

WCFETC Members and Students,

I’m writing you today to provide you with an update on the Wake County range public closure. Over the past several weeks since I wrote last, there has been a significant amount of activity. There are things that have started to become clear and I wanted to keep you updated.

First, we have established a website to post ongoing information and provide updates. The site name is
    www.wakerange.com. You can subscribe and receive periodic emails with updated information. I will continue to send periodic emails but I encourage you to subscribe.

Current Status:

1. It appears that the Wake County Commissioners (WCC) are moving in the direction of giving operational management to the NC Wildlife Resources Commission (NCWRC). This information comes from two sources. First, in the last WCC’s working session, the only option that was proposed and discussed was an agreement with NCWRC. Second, personal contacts with both the WCC and NCWRC confirm this focus.
    2. Several of us met last Monday with NCWRC to offer our assistance with their efforts to reopen the range. The meeting was very well received by all and we are in the process of gathering and providing operational data to NCWRC for their management proposal to the WCCs.
    3. We expect NCWRC to make a presentation of their management proposal at the next WCC working session on February 10. Based on the outcome of the presentation, the WCCs may vote on awarding a management agreement to NCWRC at the WCC regular meeting on February 17.
    4. Once the contract is finalized, NCWRC will begin the process of taking management control of the range and reopening it to the public. The timeline for this activity is not known.
    5. Indications are that NCWRC will focus first on reopening the range for public shooting and later address re-establishing the education programs and leagues.

What we are doing:

1. We will continue to work as close as possible with NCWRC to facilitate their being awarded the facility management and re-open the range.
    2. Several of us will attend both the upcoming WCC working session and regular meeting.
    3. Due to the implied delay in re-establishing the education program, we are considering providing offsite training covering the Wake Range education program. Stand by for more information on this effort.

Thanks for your continuing support as we work through this issue. Feel free to reach out with any questions and I will respond as quickly as possible.

John Neblett

WCFETC Instructor and Range Officer

24. SkydivnShooter