Wake County Sheriffs Office...Part 2 | Carolina Shooters Club

Wake County Sheriffs Office...Part 2

Discussion in 'Firearms News and Firearms related political news' started by Barrett, May 14, 2020.

1. Barrett

Barrett Registered Member

Just because the Wake County Sheriff was forced to start taking CCW and permit request again doesn't mean they can't make it more difficult. What a boondoggle!

2. ladder13

ladder13 Registered Member

More info please.

3. Barrett

Once 3 to 4 weeks go by, you get an email stating you need to call this number to setup an appointment to come in and sign documents. The note says you have 5 days to call and setup the appointment. So you start calling. The number is either busy or no one answers. Just by luck I kept calling the number and after 22 rings, someone did finally answer. They took my name and said someone would call back next week about setting up an appointment. But their letter clearly states I have to call and setup the appointment within 5 days or the process expires and I have to start over. It's not very clear or organized. I have no confidence I'll get a call next week. If I do get a call and I'm not available do they leave a message? Am I then able to get through to accept an appointment? There are just so many (too many) moving parts for a government to end in success.

ladder13 likes this.
  4. SkydivnShooter

SkydivnShooter Staff Member Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

OMG with this prick. Making it difficult because he can. Can we please just vote him out?

Luckily my CCH isn't up for renewal for a couple of years but my poor ol' wife's is up in December this year. She might as well start the process now.

Oh, sign what documents? I didn't read that in the statutes.

45/70hunter and ladder13 like this.
  5. SkydivnShooter

And speaking of the statutes, if you start the renewal process of a CCH Permit within 90 days of expiration, the statutes say, if you are still eligible to have one, the govt can take however long they want and you will not expire...

ยง 14-415.16. Renewal of permit.

(a) At least 45 days prior to the expiration date of a permit, the sheriff of the county where the permit was issued shall send a written notice to the permittee explaining that the permit is about to expire and including information about the requirements for renewal of the permit. The notice shall be sent by first class mail to the last known address of the permittee. Failure to receive a renewal notice shall not relieve a permittee of requirements imposed in this section for renewal of the permit.

(b) The holder of a permit shall apply to renew the permit within the 90-day period prior to its expiration date by filing with the sheriff of the county in which the person resides a renewal form provided by the sheriff's office, an affidavit stating that the permittee remains qualified under the criteria provided in this Article, a newly administered full set of the permittee's fingerprints, and a renewal fee.

(c) Upon receipt of the completed renewal application and the appropriate payment of fees, the sheriff shall determine if the permittee remains qualified to hold a permit in accordance with the provisions of G.S. 14-415.12. The permittee's criminal history shall be updated, including with another inquiry of the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), and the sheriff may waive the requirement of taking another firearms safety and training course. If the permittee applies for a renewal of the permit within the 90-day period prior to its expiration date and if the permittee remains qualified to have a permit under G.S. 14-415.12, the sheriff shall renew the permit. The permit of a permittee who complies with this section shall remain valid beyond the expiration date of the permit until the permittee either receives a renewal permit or is denied a renewal permit by the sheriff.

(d) No fingerprints shall be required for a renewal permit if the applicant's fingerprints were submitted to the State Bureau of Investigation after June 30, 2001, on the Automated Fingerprint Information System (AFIS) as prescribed by the State Bureau of Investigation.

(e) If the permittee does not apply to renew the permit prior to its expiration date, but does apply to renew the permit within 60 days after the permit expires, the sheriff may waive the requirement of taking another firearms safety and training course. This subsection does not extend the expiration date of the permit. (1995, c. 398, s. 1; c. 507, s. 22.2(b); 2000-140, s. 103; 2000-191, s. 1; 2009-307, s. 1; 2011-268, s. 18.)

ladder13 likes this.
  6. Barrett

I never received a renewal notice. My CCW expired. I know, my responsibility...I should have been keeping up with it. But just saying I never received a notice.

Now I'm going back through the process and has been a boondoggle. I took my class 2 weeks ago and I STILL do not have my certificate. My fear is once I do get it it will be so close to the election nothing will be done until after. Depending how the election goes it could be an issue getting a CCW.

7. xRHINOx

xRHINOx Registered Member

Barrett I think he has 45 days on the CCP Permits. I read somewhere they processed 5000 permits last month?

8. xRHINOx

xRHINOx Registered Member

I know this Sheriff has done everything he can to slow the process for so many people. I hope he gets voted out this Nov.

9. SkydivnShooter

He's not up for reelection until 2022. It's a four year gig and he defeated Harrison in 2018.