Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not sure if this is the place to post a handgun review but the Reviews | Critiques forum seems to only have non-firearm reviews in it. I've been meaning to write a short review of this pistol because I think it is so good more people should be aware of it's qualities. I recently did essentially that in another thread on "another forum" so I thought I would share it here for anyone who might be interested.

I'm really impressed with my Walther PPS 9mm that I picked up almost a year ago. Please allow me to begin by giving a little background with my previous carry pistols and how I've come to appreciate the PPS. I've had many carry guns over the years including a micro 1911, several Glocks, a 38 snubbie, Taurus PT111 and PT145, Kahr CW9, Kel Tec PF-9, and probably other's I can't remember right this second. The PF-9 I carried the longest, it was just so darn easy to conceal, and I became a solid convert to the single stack philosophy. You should always carry an extra mag for reliability reasons, so carrying a single stack gun doesn't mean you've only got 6 or 7 rounds. In fact a single stack gun and extra mag is much more comfortable and easy to conceal than a thicker heavier double stack gun like a Glock even without an extra mag. A single stack mag in your pocket is no different than a bic lighter, no issue at all and the gun does not bang into doorways or become a problem in the men's room. Eventually however, I became aware that I just wasn't able to shoot the PF-9 as well as I wanted in a defensive style, rapid fire manner. I began to seek out another single stack gun just a little bigger with a better trigger. Enter the PPS.

I have found what I believe is the perfect carry gun. At least for me. It's as thin as the other compact 9mms (PF-9, PM-9, LCP, etc.) which is the most significant metric concerning concealability and comfort but there is enough meat there to get a good grip on and it doesn't have the long DA trigger. The trigger is decidedly Glock-like with a short reset. The gun is just enough bigger that I can get a real good grip on it and follow up shots are much more controllable. I have to admit it doesn't conceal quite as well as the PF-9 but close and way better than any Glock.

I very much enjoy shooting the PPS, it shoots like a standard size handgun. I don't feel like I'm compromising accuracy and controlability for concealability like I did with the PF-9. I even shoot it in IDPA style competitions with my friends who are shooting full size service pistols and don't feel at a disadvantage other than round count. It has been dead nuts reliable. The one thing I will say against it is the weird mag release built into the trigger guard but it just takes training yourself to get used to it. The PPS has some cool features too like a window that serves as a loaded chamber indicator and a red "cocked" indicator which I assume is part of the striker that also protrudes from the back of the slide as the trigger is pulled rearward. This allows you to place your thumb on the rear of the slide when holstering and actually feel if something is pulling the trigger. Pretty cool. There are interchangeable backstraps to better tailor the grip to your hand size. I have the larger one on mine. Also I recommend the Comp Tac Infidel IWB holster for this pistol, it can be clipped on and off the belt with one hand without removing the gun from the holster (excellent feature for guns without external safeties), has always felt secure even when running and the overall package is very concealable. One handed reholstering is very natural.

In summary obviously I am very impressed with my PPS. I was hoping for a Glock single stack nine someday but it appears Walther has made it for them. It is a very Glock like pistol IMHO in quality and feel and reliability and I don't see myself ever looking to replace it.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Everyday carry

Attachments

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Nice review. I agree with your view on the doublestack vs singlestack with an extra mag. I'm glad you found something that works for you. The comp-tac infidel is a nice choice for that gun. Looking to get either that or the CTAC for myself.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I am planning on selling my Beretta Nano as soon as it returns from the factory. The two guns I am looking at are the Glock 26 and the PPS. I have owned the G26 before and liked it but prefer IWB carry and found it a little thick and with sharp edges. Liked the PPS, on paper, but have not shot it and did not know anyone that owned one. My main concern is that it shoot any ammo I have around. I would only carry it with quality defensive loads, but would be practicing with other stuff and I just can't stand guns that are finiky on what they will or will not accept.

Thanks for the review. Sounds like a winner to me.

- J

·
I'm told I'm pretty awesome...
8,590 Posts
Does look like someone smushed a G26 flat. Glad to hear it works for you. Being a fat guy I can hide most things IWB, but love my Kel-tec when it's hot out and for shear convienence. Always looking for a better "shooter" for an alternative. Have to look into these

·
Registered
356 Posts
Flashpoint, how would you say that it compares to the Kahr P9/K9/CW9 and Ruger LC9? The PM9/LCP comparison is a little bit like apples and oranges to me; the other firearms I mention are all in the same size category as the PPS, and I'm trying to figure out how they stack up against one another until I get to play with one. Regarding the trigger; have you shot a Steyr handgun? The Steyr M9-A1 is my brother's EDC, and he likened the PPS' trigger to his Steyr over a Glock's trigger. That, in our opinion, is a good thing...and that's coming from a Glock guy (I have several).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also own a PPS. Wonderfully accurate pistol with a super short trigger reset. As mentioned above, the magazine release is weird, and in my opinion, a huge negative. It is very difficult to eject the magazine one handed, as your middle finder generally rests/resists against the bottom of the release.

We all want several magazines for our pistols, and the magazines for this pistol are outrageously expensive. No doubt, this is a quality made pistol, but the magazine release system was a bad idea.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Flashpoint, how would you say that it compares to the Kahr P9/K9/CW9 and Ruger LC9? The PM9/LCP comparison is a little bit like apples and oranges to me; the other firearms I mention are all in the same size category as the PPS, and I'm trying to figure out how they stack up against one another until I get to play with one. Regarding the trigger; have you shot a Steyr handgun? The Steyr M9-A1 is my brother's EDC, and he likened the PPS' trigger to his Steyr over a Glock's trigger. That, in our opinion, is a good thing...and that's coming from a Glock guy (I have several).
It's been a long time since I had my Kahr CW9. I remember the trigger was nice and smooth but also long like the others IIRC. The PPS is superior IMO, not so long and a short reset. Never shot a Steyr.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also own a PPS. Wonderfully accurate pistol with a super short trigger reset. As mentioned above, the magazine release is weird, and in my opinion, a huge negative. It is very difficult to eject the magazine one handed, as your middle finder generally rests/resists against the bottom of the release.

We all want several magazines for our pistols, and the magazines for this pistol are outrageously expensive. No doubt, this is a quality made pistol, but the magazine release system was a bad idea.
Yes mag prices are ridiculous. Thankfully they come with two. I don't have a problem with the mag release since I have trained my middle finger to operate it. The idea I believe was to have a mag release that could not be operated inadvertently. My GF's P22 has the same mechanism. I'm assuming it's that way on all Walthers?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I bought a PPS 40 about 3 years ago and love it. It is my EDC gun and have had no problems. I carry it OWB most of the time unless I am worried about printing and then I carry in a chest rig. My neighbor bought the 9 and same results for him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.