Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to get in to long range shooting and I am guessing a Remington 700 is where to get started. What caliber should I be looking for? How do I make sense of all the different models?

·
Registered
130 Posts
.308 is a good caliber to start off with, I'm also a big fan of the Remington 700 AAC-SD model. The stock that comes with it is pretty mediocre, but that's an easy fix with something from stocky's. The 700P is also a nice rifle right out'a the box as well, no modification needed. You also need to budget for a good base, set of rings, and most importantly a scope with good glass.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Start with short range and work your way out. you will save a lot of money, time and effort if you will remember this one little thing.
Skill doesnt come wrapped in gold ribbon.
The rifle, the scope, the ammo...all is meaningless if you dont have the training and develop the skill to do it.
ANd if you could just simply walk into a store with an unlimited budget, drop the money and walk out with a rig that made you a shooter, then how much would it really mean?
A man who knows what he is doing with a rifle can do it with pretty much any rifle he picks up.
SO quit sweating it.
Go buy a cheap savage bolt gun in 308, put a decent 3-9x40 scope on it and buy a case of ammo. Then go shoot it. shoot it sitting, prone, standing,ect.
Nothing is more boring than some dude talking about long range shooting when he's got a 13 pound rifle, shooting handloads off a concrete bench at 3PM on a Wed in AUG. 70 gegrees . no wind. blah blah blah.
How about hitting what you can see at any range you can ID it, under any conditions.
Thats a rifleman.

·
3,580 Posts
Are you going to reload, or buy factory ammo?

How far is long range? 400, 500, 800, 1000 yards?

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
If your reloading and going to shoot out to 1000, I hear a 260rem which is a necked down 308 is hard to beat. It is what most of the long range shooters I know prefer.

I picked up a Savage 10fp in 308 a few years ago, and never really got to stretch it out much, so I am glad I did not spend a fortune. The savage is a decent gun, and ready to go out the box if you are just starting out. Very fine rifle to learn on.

If your set on Remington, The 700 with 5r milspec barrel is one of the best you can get out of the box, without going the custom route.

You are really going to have to consider spending as much money if not more in quality optics, thus my reason I went with the savage 10fp.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Long range isn't hard to get into what's hard is the cost and learning curve
If your fundamentals are mediocre then your results will be poor start small with a good rifle
Hand loading is important to long range for a few reasons 1 cost of ammo is kind of expensive and exact accurate loads are important in consistency

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
LeadFarmer; I like your style but most today will take the easy way out and shoot from a rest. I kinda look at as those that shoot guns(rested weapons) and those that shoot rifles(weapons that can be fired while holding it in your hands), this thread's OP probably wishes to be able to justify the cost by being able to hit something from the beginning which points him to the gun. My suggestion is to shop for a Savage, Remington has fallen behind those folks when it comes to current accurate factory type guns. If TRguy chimes in he can direct the OP down the correct path.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you plan on doing some fairly significant upgrades later, then the Rem700 might be the way too go. But for just getting started in the long range game, I think the Savage 10fp is the better choice. The Savage will most likely "out perform" the Remington, straight off the shelf.

As for caliber, I started with (and still shoot) .308. It has a little longer barrel life, it is easy to shoot. More importantly, it is easy and forgiving to load for.

Whatever you get make sure its heavy barrel with a fast twist.

·
Premium Member
6,391 Posts
jimmyt, sounds like we're in the same boat. I'm thinking about trying it as well. You have a big advantage if you're reloading. So many other choices for the reloader. I thought about getting into reloading as well. But for now, I'm not going to. So I'm stuck with the factory ammo. I'll share what I've found so far in researching things. Realize this is coming from a complete rookie, just info. I've gained from researching and talking to people. Would appreciate any more info. myself.

Here's what I've found so far:

Both the Savage and the Remington 700 have good reps. Savage 110, FTR, SPS, 12F. Savage is only two lug vs the Remington 4 lug. But they both are shooters. My impression is that Savage has improved in recent years while the Remingtons have either gone down some or stayed the same. Just my impression (I'm sure I'll get some hits on that one!) Winchester 70 with BOSS is accurate, just not as many smiths that are used to working on them.

As to caliber, out to 1000 yards, seems the .260 would be best choice for me. Light recoil and good wind/trajectory/energy numbers. A .243 is good to 500 then starts to drop off alot (wind/trajectory/energy). And it eats barrels. So if you plan to shoot alot (matches) you're going to be buying barrels. The ballistics on the .308 just don't look that great to me. It seems to be popular because it was the military sniper round, so alot of it out there and alot of guys know what they're doing with their .308. It's more important to know the rifle and how to use it than the caliber, so yes, there are plenty of skilled guys out there using .308. I was talking with a guy yesterday that is a sniper for his city's (large) police dept. He knows what the bullet will do at various range increments out to 1000 yards. He uses .308 and can certainly make a case for that caliber. I'm sure he is far more knowledgeable of long range shooting than I am. And as he pointed out, there are lots more (and cheaper) bullet choices in .308. But if you start out by looking at ballistics, choosing the .308 just doesn't make sense to me. There are several better choices. The 7mm Rem Mag and .260 look alot more appealing. Look at the wind deflection numbers.

Your choice is also dictated by how much recoil you want to subject yourself to, and how accurately you can shoot with that recoil. If you're going to anticipate the recoil, you're probably not going to shoot well at distance, and a lighter recoiling round would be a better choice. Look at the energy and velocity recoil numbers of the various rounds. Some people aren't bothered that much by recoil. Some just can't shoot with too much of it. I don't want anything that recoils more than my current 270. So I'd have to put a muzzzle break on a 7mm Rem Mag. Then you get into all that extra noise and concussion. For you as the shooter and anyone shooting beside you. Still undecided about that. The .260 seems to be pretty light recoiling, flat shooting, and farily wind resistant. But not a good selection of ammo for a non-reloader like myself. Guess I still haven't found 'the' caliber. But I'm still reading up on it.

If you're reloading, then the 6BR and 6mmDasher seem to be popular in F class. Or the 6.5-284. If you're only looking to reach 500 yards, and not doing that much shooting, the .243 is an obvious choice.

Would love to hear other's opinions on calibers and what rifle. I'm sure it would help the OP as well. Again, no reloading for me. I want to buy a good base gun and caliber, and if I do end up getting 'into it', I can add some custom touches as I go.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
don't start with a rem....there's no point.
if you KNOW you'll be building the gun into something down the line...pony up for a better action from the get go. A stiller can be had around $1000. That's pretty close to what you'd have in a trued 700...and the 700 STILL wouldn't have the bolt clearance of the custom...so that means a new PTG bolt...which puts your right at the same price...and the Stiller would still have better resale!

If you want to just do it for a hobby level of shooting...go with a savage. You can get the LRP in 260...and be good to go for 500yds++ You get an HS stock, a damn nice factory trigger, and a surprisingly nice barrel. The whole gun comes in under $1000!! Toss a Viper PST or Sightron SIII onto the gun with an EGW base and some Seekins rings, with all that sitting on a 6-9" Harris S-BR bipod....and you're DONE for under $2000 if you shop smart.

Now....if you don't want to take the tacticool route...which would be a welcome change, you can do something like a
Savage Target Action in RB/LP or RB/RP
Shehane Tracker stock or mcmillian edge
CBI barrel in 6dasher, 6brx, or vanilla 6br.....or step up to a 6.5x47, 260AI, 6.5SLR, 6.5CM, or 6.5 creedmore.....or even a 7 creedmore (!)
Sightron SIIBS 36x or Weaver 36x
and rest that in something along the lines of a Sinclair or Cowan rest

That'd be a simple, cheap, and pimp beginners setup.....barebones that won't win you any matches...but will teach you more than you realize......and if you decide that it's somethign you want to pursue...you can step it up to a real bench setup build off a Bat stocked in a Scoville and watch your agg drop closer to the .2's!

·
SlayerNut - RIP
13,354 Posts
If you are not reloading I'd recommend either staying with the .308 or looking into the 6.5 Creedmore or 260 Remington.

Federal is supposed to be releasing FGMM in 260 (don't know when) so really good consistent factory ammo would be available. The 6.5 and 308 already have some really great and easy to find factory loads out there.

Just an FYI the .243 will go MUCH further than 500 yards with no problem. The 308, while it is still a good round, has just been surpassed by better bullet selections in other calibers.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If anyone has any questions about anything long range feel free to pm whenever there is so much information on what to do and what not to in rifle selection optics ballistics hand loading and so on

There's nothing more frustrating than buying stuff you find out later is not what you really wanted to do and spending more money than needed

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If anyone has any questions about anything long range feel free to pm whenever there is so much information on what to do and what not to in rifle selection optics ballistics hand loading and so on

There's nothing more frustrating than buying stuff you find out later is not what you really wanted to do and spending more money than needed

·
Premium Member
6,391 Posts
GSR, I'll probably just buy a (good) stock rifle for now and see how it goes. Ideally, I can find a used one with low round count and go from there. I don't even have any ranges in my area beyond 500 yards (that I know of anyway). Being so new at this game, I'll start cheap and see how interested I get with this. Do you have specific model numbers on those Savages? I do want to get a good base to work with.

BOG, I've been hearing about the Federal .260. I'm hesitant to buy a .260 though without having it already on the market. And knowing it's a good one. I'd go 6.5 Creedmoor as far as the ammo is concerned. My issue there is it's not a well known caliber and I think it would be really hard to sell a rifle in that caliber should I want to sell it down the road. Absolutely, the .243 is good past 500, with the right bullet selection (100g). And I haven't yet crossed it off my list. Mainly because I am limited to a 500 yard range. But it is definitely a barrel burner. Agree 100% on the .308.

TRguy, sounds like you are the MAN! Any words of wisdom??

·
Premium Member
6,391 Posts
kosh79, I didn't see your post before I replied. Don't know about the OP, but I'll take all the info I can get!! I'm just looking to start off with probably a used Savage just to get into it and see how I like it. For now, all I want to do is decide on caliber and the gun. I tend to research alot (too much??), so I tend to have a decent idea of what I'm buying before I buy.

I do think the lighter you go in recoil, the more you'll enjoy shooting it. So long as the caliber performs as you want and can get the job done. I've got to do some more checking into muzzle break pros and cons.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
GSR, I'll probably just buy a (good) stock rifle for now and see how it goes. Ideally, I can find a used one with low round count and go from there. I don't even have any ranges in my area beyond 500 yards (that I know of anyway). Being so new at this game, I'll start cheap and see how interested I get with this. Do you have specific model numbers on those Savages? I do want to get a good base to work with.

BOG, I've been hearing about the Federal .260. I'm hesitant to buy a .260 though without having it already on the market. And knowing it's a good one. I'd go 6.5 Creedmoor as far as the ammo is concerned. My issue there is it's not a well known caliber and I think it would be really hard to sell a rifle in that caliber should I want to sell it down the road. Absolutely, the .243 is good past 500, with the right bullet selection (100g). And I haven't yet crossed it off my list. Mainly because I am limited to a 500 yard range. But it is definitely a barrel burner. Agree 100% on the .308.

TRguy, sounds like you are the MAN! Any words of wisdom??
Any Savage Model 10 (10, 11, 12, 16,...) short action will work

Easy to work on with an allen wrench.....I think the accu trigger is a good idea, but I have replaced most of mine with Timney triggers (Just a Preference); you also have as after market triggers Rifle Basix, and Sharp Shooters Supply Triggers....all are safe and adjust down to a feather.

Super fast lock time on the action straight from the factory.

Barrels are Button Rifled (Not hammer forged)

As far as calibers

I like the 308 family (I don't typically stretch it out, majority of my shooting is 100yd bench) but shoot often in the field out to 100-500yd range

My fav is 243, Is it a barrel burner? Can be...., but most loads are not. If you load it to exceed 3900 fps then yeah barrel life will be compromised. Most loads don't approach that. ( Most are in the 2800-3600 fps range)

For versatility I prefer the 7mm-08, however you must hand load it to max out the ability of the round.
reasons I like it are variety of projectiles, Bullet coefficient, low recoil, etc...

All the calibers listed above in the thread are fine and ultimately it comes down to personal preference.

Savage is the working mans rifle.....

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
So long as the caliber performs as you want and can get the job done. I've got to do some more checking into muzzle break pros and cons.
Muzzle Break CON CON CON, unless you just relish deafening yourself in the field hunting or make everyone sitting next to you at the range drive a 7" Kabar in your back while you shoot to get you to stop.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.