Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the match I shot last weekend taught me that I really need to learn to shoot weak hand. I went to the indoor range at lunch today to goof around with it and did pretty well. I shot my 15-22 and 1911-22 both right handed (weak hand for me) and made 100% A zone hits at ~10 yards with pistol and ~20 yds with the rifle. Of course this is standing feet planted, square to the target...

Any suggestions for weak side drills/practice?

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
I don't weak hand shoot nearly enough.

I'd suggest at home practice with snap caps to get yourself used to it and range time to practice. I've had to weak hand shoot in a couple matches but like I said, I don't do it nearly enough. My dad is ambidextrous, or amphibious, I can't remember so when I shoot with him I usually try to get some weak hand practice in.

Weird for me but it seems like I have to work on my weak side strength. I am noticeably weaker on my left when I shoot that way.

Anyway, just my thoughts on it.

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
No special drills needed to increase proficiency shooting support side. Best thing to do is simply start doing more of it. It will become much easier and not feel as weird.

·
Premium Member
7,961 Posts
Ah... the advantages of being ambidextrous.....I shoot handguns and shotguns as well with one as with the other. It s a matter of repetition and practice and NOT having some set of grips that prevents doing said practice.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Try placing a empty gun in your strong hand while practicing with the weak. Somehow it helps override the subconscious need to use the strong hand.

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
Tim, if you really wanna have some fun try running your rifle with your weak only as if its the only working arm you have..LOL! Mix in some reloading and malfunction clearing drills to make it really interesting! We got a chance to do a fair amount of one handed manipulations and shooting at the Defensive Concepts Carbine 2 Class I took back in the Spring. I learned lots of great stuff in that class! Same can be done with the pistol.

·
Premium Member
12,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tim, if you really wanna have some fun try running your rifle with your weak only as if its the only working arm you have..LOL!
I think Larry may have a pic of me "running my rifle" one handed (weak hand), standing on one foot trying not to fall over....I suspect he's holding that one back for leverage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.