Western NC - nice places to live? | Carolina Shooters Club

Western NC - nice places to live?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Type44, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Type44

Type44 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I moved to NC from NE in 1985. My wife and I married in 1991, after meeting at UNC-Asheville. Her parents live there, and my father lives in Montreat. All of them are aging and will need use closer by before too long. We’d also like to get out of Durham. We still have a 15 year old living with us, but she’s homeschooled. I intend to keep doing the corporate gig until the next “resource action” happens (aka lay-off), but have also started a little biz renovating old shotguns, be of which can be done from anywhere.

Since we don’t live there now, and the area has changed so much, I thought I’d ask for recommendations here. We’re looking for:

1 hour from Asheville at most. Nice little town, with some arts oriented stuff, homeschool community, Anglican church, and where we might find an older, well preserved farmhouse on 2-5 acres, and a somewhere to shoot.

Thanks!

2. SkydivnShooter

SkydivnShooter Staff Member Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

I grew up in Canton, Clyde and Waynesville, NC just west of Asheville, NC. Wonderful place to grow up, just couldn't make a living so I moved to Charlotte, NC.

Can't wait to retire and move back.

Type44 likes this.
  3. ammoaddict

ammoaddict Registered Member

I've lived in the foothills, near Lenoir NC all my life. Can't imagine living anywhere else.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Type44 likes this.
  4. Type44

How’s the paper mill scent these days?

ammoaddict likes this.
  5. cbullings

cbullings Not Subscribed

Prices are super high in Buncombe County. Most small towns in and around Asheville are filling up with Northeners. McDowell County is next to Buncombe on the Montreat side. There is some nice property in the northern part of the McDowell County and also south toward Rutherford County. Black Mountain is still trying to hold onto its small town "charm". Fretboard is the local realty company. Good luck...

6. SkydivnShooter

SkydivnShooter Staff Member Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

Bwaaaaahhh. Smells like money as they say...

7. cbullings

cbullings Not Subscribed

Greybeard is the local realty company of Black Mountain,not what my tablet corrected.

8. Type44

Yes Sir. My Dad still does some of their rental maintenance work. He used to do it all, but his health is suffering, and more so his wife’s, so he does very little now.

9. rbell2915

rbell2915 Registered Member

Hendersonville was really nice. Spent a weekend there. I really enjoyed the downtown. I liked it more than Asheville.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk