What are your favorite knives for various purposes? | Carolina Shooters Club

What are your favorite knives for various purposes?

Discussion in 'Knives and Gear' started by Dsking85, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Dsking85

Dsking85 Registered Member

I’ve got a relatively young knife collection and have found that I gravitate towards different ones in different scenarios.

For general EDC carry, I love my Benchmade 940. It’s slim, sharp and sturdy. I mainly carry this while in dress clothes due to the size.

On the weekends when I don’t have as much stuff in my pockets, I enjoy carrying the Spyderco paramilitary 2. I feel that it’s my best cutting knife and has the size to do whatever I need. I’ll carry this while on the boat for cutting rope or rigging lines.

For general fun, there’s not much more entertaining than the microtech. I don’t carry or use it very often, but I’ll sit with it and flip it in and out just for the heck of it. Pretty entertaining.

The Benchmade Ruckus 2 sits in the safe and I’ll break it out to impress friends, haha. Other than that it goes unused.

What about you guys?

[​IMG]

2. Rooster

Rooster Registered Member

I dunno. My big bug out choppers are a Ontario Knife Works RTAK II and a Swamp Rat Knife Works Battle Rat.

Camp knives and skinners are a couple of custom jobs I had done to fit my design that I like.

So that's about $1000 bucks in those four and they do most everything I want at a reasonable combined price.

I'm older so I've got a drawer full of pocket knives I've accumulated over the decades and been handed-down to me by my grandfather and father. A few old carbon case trappers and such. Some old school Barlows and Tree Brands, well word. A Camillus rope knife. A Boker Tree Brand I bought in Germany back in the 80s. I sit around lapping and honing all the time, or whittling on the front porch, etc. You can pick any of mine up and shave them with, but they are old school. Looking through my box ... there's a Rooster and Hen in there naturally that my wife bought me years ago because she thought it was cute. I see a couple of old school Old Timer trappers in there, great steel. Oh dang, quite a few Bucks in there. A couple of switch blades I bought in Italy back in the 70s before the Italians outlawed them. Got my old switchblade they issued us in the 82nd Airborne in case we were towed jumpers (you had to be a Jumpmaster before you got the knife).

Oh, let me look in my tackle box. There's my Grandfather's old Western hunting knife ... he used to shave with this thing. Sheath is shot, I need to make a new one. There's a knife my Dad made out of a railroad spike

Always been a knife family who believes in keeping them sharpe almost to the point of being obsessive about it.

Have lost a few great pocket knives over the years.

There's still one or two I want ... a big chopper, Busse Battle Mistress for instance. His wife owns Swamp Rat and the Battle Rat is made from the same steel but came with a ResC grip rather than scales and was $150 cheaper at the time.

Too many knives to mention them all ... I'll hand them all down to my Son one day.

MRMIKE likes this.
  3. Sank

Sank Registered Member

At the moment it's a BM 940-2 and an OKC R2D2. When we go camping it's others, but I work more than I camp so...

I find the 940 to be nice a light enough to not drag my shorts or sweats down during the day when working around the house, and slim and non-threatening enough when working, to open shipping boxes, same-day mailers, anything else that needs opening. The RAT I'll use to break down boxes and cutting shipping bands and rope.

Got plenty of knives, most stay oiled and boxed up.
    And then there are these guys - always one within reach...

318 n 19 (2).jpg

4. Shadow722

Shadow722 Registered Member

My EDC carry is either a Benchmade Mini Griptilian in a leather belt sheath or a CRKT Pilar for pocket carry.

On my Spiritus Systems MK4 Chest Rig resides a ESEE 3-MIL for repelling boarders and for general around camp use I favor an ESEE 4......