Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
In order, my opinion:

1. Reliability...if it doesn't run consistently with your preferred ammo, I wouldn't carry it. (Edited to add: Perhaps this should go without saying, but I've learned not to do that in my business)
2. Can you run the weapon (similar to Elov's "proficiency" comment).
3. Can you effectively conceal it (100% concur with Elov on his #2).

I think most folks put WAY too much weight on capacity. I'd rather have a semi that only holds 8- 10 rounds, but runs like a top and I can shoot it well than one that holds more and either jams or I can't shoot it well. I say that, but I'm sitting here typing with 36 rounds in 2 mags... Though, I'm carrying a 43X with light and Shield mag upgrades. So far so good with the Shield mags.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've always carried a 45acp but as I've gotten older I've found that I've become recoil sensitive (damn arthritis) and have started carrying a 9mm. I've found that the Springfield XD-9 3.3 single stack is comfortable to carry and shoot. I added a Crimson Trace optic that helps me a great deal. I will never be the shooter I was when I was in my 30s (67 now) but at 15 to 20 yards I can put 9 shots the center mass of a man-size target with regularity. I carry for personal defense of my family and myself. I agree with the other gentlemen who have posted here. Look for what you can comfortably shoot, conceal and carry.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've recently switched from carrying a Hellcat to a Glock 19 recently. I've got pretty big hands and had a little trouble running the Hellcat as fast and accurately as I would like compared to something full width. I like knowing that with the Glock that I would be to be accurate with it even in the worst conditions.

·
Registered
140 Posts
JonnyNova, I understand fully. I used to carry a 19 or a Canik TP9SF Elite (which I found slightly larger than a G19). I have several smaller carry guns (P365, LCP, G26/27, G43, etc.) and just feel much more comfortable with the 19 or 48/43X platform. Moving up to the "midsize" really pushed my carry from just a defensive pistol to a defensive/offensive pistol which seems to be the way current events are pushing those of us who carry...unfortunate as it may be. Although if I need to "deep" carry, I go back to my LCP or P365. I'm just trying to avoid events where I have to do that anymore.

The Shield mag upgrades for the 48/43X have really put that platform in the optimum spot for me personally. I can carry it all day along with nearly 50 rounds if I wanted to and it really doesn't change the weight of my work pants noticeably or and it's very concealable on my larger frame.

Way off topic, but I hope each of you have a wonderful, safe and happy Thanksgiving holiday!

·
Registered
323 Posts
No one has mentioned trigger (SAO/DAO/SA&DA) or ammo but I guess that comes under performance. I stick to only two P320 with Red Dot & P365. They have very similar feel and reliable performance with vary ammo (I load fmj & hollow point alternately). Depending upon where/what I am doing I select one. Again practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Portability backed up with as absolute reliable a revolver I can find; first run Smith model 60 in .357 mag. works for me as a pocket carry. Can’t remember the maker but the holster is formed plastic that covers the trigger and hammer for safe carry.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
What do you guys rank as the most important part of an EDC concealed firearm? Would it be capacity, size, weight, printing things like that.
Size…dependent on weather. Usually a G43 and a G19 as I wear heavier/more clothes and coats. I don’t worry about capacity so much for a concealed carry gun as most have capacity enough to resolve most problems I would run into on a daily basis. I do carry a couple of spare mags, not for the extra ammo, but in case a feeding problem occurs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For and EDC, there are only a few things that matter to me: Reliability, Cartridge Effectiveness, Size/Weight and How it Prints (in that order). I own a lot of carry gun, but only a few make it in my ECD rotation: G43, G43x, P365XL, CZ P01 and P320 XCarry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts