What does the law say concerning issue time for CCW? | Carolina Shooters Club

What does the law say concerning issue time for CCW?

Discussion in 'Grass Roots North Carolina (GRNC)' started by Barrett, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Barrett

Barrett Registered Member

For Wake County...

I got my fingerprints taken in December. They told me I would receive my CCW in the mail within 90 days. They didn't say 90 business days...just 90 days.

Yesterday was 90 days. I had sent an inquiry to them and they responded that someone would call me with an update. I never heard from anyone.

What does the law say? How much time do they have to issue?

2. Frank Powers

Frank Powers Registered Member

dunno what the law says but I read that conceal and carry applications are up 39% in the past year.
    That has to slow all parts of it down I would imagine.

3. SkydivnShooter

SkydivnShooter Staff Member Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

14-415.15. Issuance or denial of permit.

(a) Except as permitted under subsection (b) of this section, within 45 days after receipt of the items listed in G.S. 14-415.13 from an applicant, and receipt of the required records concerning the mental health or capacity of the applicant, the sheriff shall either issue or deny the permit.

Barrett likes this.
  4. Barrett

Finally found out what the issue is...

When I took the class from Carolina Firearms Training in Sanford they did not have certificates to hand out. They ended up mailing them out about a month later. Mine was not made out in my full name and I didn't catch it. Apparently Wake is saying the FBI will not accept it. Wake says they made several attempts to contact the Carolina Firearms Training but no one would return calls. I later found out the instructor and owner of the training center passed away from Covid in December.

Someone else associated with the training center sent me a note that I needed to take the class again. Wake County says they just need to correct the certificate. Very frustrating...

5. SkydivnShooter

SkydivnShooter Staff Member Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

Man that sucks. Yep, the instructor who issued it needs to correct it. But since he can't, the only thing that would help is if there were multiple certified instructors in the class. Then you could find one of them.

If the class had only one instructor, no one else can validate the certificate due to the NCGS and NCAC verbiage on it. Not following the law with those certificates can lead to felony charges against the instructor.

Ugh.

6. Trent Gammons

Trent Gammons Registered Member

Wow that is terrible luck! All that time waiting just to find out you have to start all over again.....you should go to the range soon that’ll help with some frustration shoot some steel.

7. Barrett

Finally!...I guess the FBI decided to let me pass...

SkydivnShooter likes this.
  8. cricketdad

cricketdad Not Subscribed

You are pretty lucky. Your sheriff has at least 3 lawsuits for failure to follow the law.

Barrett and SkydivnShooter like this.