What might these be worth? | Carolina Shooters Club

What might these be worth?

Discussion in 'Knives and Gear' started by Headspace, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Headspace

Headspace Registered Member

I've had these Gerber knives since the late '70s. They are all in perfect condition, although the sheaths have some wear. The blades will all shave like a razor. I don't use them, but aren't getting rid of them, either. I have plenty of utilitarian blades around.
    Not counting the small folding knife, the bottom one is a Mark I; the edge extends around the point but not up the back side of the blade, with a boot sheath. The middle one is a TAC II with a molded sheath and a push-button lock that holds the knife in the sheath through a latch on either side of the finger guard. You press the button with your thumb as you grasp the knife. The top one is a Mark III, a longer version of the Mark I with serrations and edge on both sides of the blade. The sheath has a pocket with cover for a sharpening stone.

Attached Files:

2. whiteboy

whiteboy Member

In total, about $20. Tell me where to send the money and I'll take that junk off your hands before you get cut!

Maybe someone who actually knows will come along and be of some actual assistance.

3. Garyshome

Garyshome Hall of Shame

Try to look them up on e bay, if you find them you should have an Idea of their $$$$$

4. Mikew

Mikew Well-Known Member

I'll give $22.50 but you gotta bring them to High Point.

5. Shortfuze

Shortfuze U. S. Military Club Subscribed

This is the best way to determine true value.

6. Edgeman

Edgeman Well-Known Member

Kewl, I have a flawless Mk I that I carried when I flew in the Navy. It was part of my "personal" flight gear. It was so nice, I never let anything touch the blade. Think I have a Mk III laying around somewhere, but I never carried it.

7. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Registered Member

I picked up a Tac ll in a pawn shop a few years ago for $60 otd. The knife is fine but the sheath is missing some parts.
    Bear Cutlery makes a replica of this knife which I think retails around $110 or so.
    Hope this helps.
    Burt.

8. nc-by-the-c

nc-by-the-c Member

Actually I think you may find the bottom one is referred to as "Command I" rather than Mark I

9. RetiredUSNChief

RetiredUSNChief Well-Known Member

Yep. The serrations along one side of the leading edge of the blade give this away. The Mark I didn't have this.

I still have my Mark II Survival knife I bought in the early 80's. A really nice knife, esthetically, and I used to carry it all the time as my "hunting and fishing knife". Not really suitable for either, though, by design, but I scaled and cleaned a lot of fish with in back then. Damn good steel, evidently, because it would take and hold an edge like nobody's business.

As a razor sharp, double edged dagger, it's obviously not the best "hunting and fishing knife" out there. Even as a "combat" or "survival" knife, it's not the best. And I'm speaking as one who absolutely loves the way my Mark II looks.