Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Super fast, super light 45 round?

Liberty Halo-Point Civil Defense Ammunition 45 ACP +P 78 Grain Fragmenting Hollow Point Lead-Free

link

Liberty Halo-Point Civil Defense ammunition is a high velocity, extremely accurate load designed for self-defense. The 78 GrainLead-Free Fragmenting Hollow Point bullet travels at 1900 feet per second, resulting in 12 inches of ballistic gel penetration and a permanent wound cavity greater than 5 inches in diameter. When tested through denim cloth into ballistic gel, this load penetrated almost 8 inches deep and produced a wound cavity 6 inches in diameter. This lightweight, high velocity round yields less felt recoil and has an effective range of 25 meters. This ammunition is new production, non-corrosive, and requires no weapons modifications.

Technical InformationCaliber: 45 ACP +P
Bullet Weight: 78 Grains
Bullet Style: Fragmenting Hollow Point Lead-Free
Case Type: Nickel Plated Brass

Ballistics Information:
Muzzle Velocity: 1900 fps
Muzzle Energy: 625 ft. lbs.

Cosmetics Font Household hardware Automotive tire Electric blue

Attachments

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Liberty was one of the developers of the M855A1 round. I saw, but haven't shot, that .45 round at one of the trade shows last year. I believe it was SHOT, but it could have been SOFIC. It might have even been both. Definitely looks interesting.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
A couple of years ago, one of the major non-US (maybe Aquila?) ammo companies did something similar in 9mm and 40SW. Super light bullets at radically high velocities. Supposedly offered massive expansion.

·
I'm told I'm pretty awesome...
8,590 Posts
You should see some ofthe stuff RBCD is doing. They have an 80gr .45acp that travels 2500fps. Over 1000flbs of energy.

·
Banned
13,863 Posts
You're basically trading mass on target for penetration through speed. You will get a better wound channel which helps hydraulic stop but you lose imparting the mass and energy of the heavier round on target.

I could see running something like this during cold winters for better penetration through thick jackets.

I could also see this as helping you to hunt with a handgun caliber smaller than 44.

·
Premium Member
7,961 Posts
You should see what they do to milk jugs..
I can't recall the last time I had an issue with a milk jug and have never seen a decent recipe for preparing them either.... Let's go shoot something meaningful like a side of pork or beef or whatever. The light/fast versus the slow/heavy dispute has been going on since Super Vel back in the late 60's..... Still unresolved.....

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Eight whole inches after passing through denim tends to mean that the round will perform similar to most high veolicty, light weight rounds. AKA it will tend to cause large, shallow wounds that fail to damage major organs.

Also, if the round drops 4" of penetration when passing through denim, then imagine how much less penetration you'll get when passing through other barriers. It'd probably tear itself apart on autoglass.

·
Banned
13,863 Posts
I can't recall the last time I had an issue with a milk jug and have never seen a decent recipe for preparing them either.... Let's go shoot something meaningful like a side of pork or beef or whatever. The light/fast versus the slow/heavy dispute has been going on since Super Vel back in the late 60's..... Still unresolved.....
First. Funny.

Second. True dat. We might as well settle the whole best round for long range shooting, best all around caliber and best caliber debate while we're at it.

I too would be interested in seeing some pork shots of these loads.

Like I said early on you're trading one dynamic of stopping power for another. I don't think one is any better than the other under these circumstances just different.

I'll chip in for a side of pork if someone else buys the ammo.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.