Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was picking up brass at the range today, and found several nickel, aluminum, and newly fired steel cases. I only kept the brass. However can those types of cases be reloaded. I have not begun to reload anything yet, I have decided on a loader but I am in the process of stockpiling now. Thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Take a look down inside the cases to see if there is one hole ore two. The 2-hole type use Berdan primers rather than Boxer type primers. Berdan type primers are different sizes and take a few extra pieces of equipment to reload. Also, you may damage the depriming pin if you try and force it through a Berdan.

The nickle 38/357 cases are worth keeping.

Aluminum and steel take to the scrapyard or make jewelry. I've read of people reloading them, but metallurgically , not a great idea.

G

·
The .357 nickle cases are junk .... if you send them to me I will throw them away for you.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Must be a problem with the gun. Send it to me and I will check it out for you

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have reloaded many nickel plated cases over the years both rifle and pistol, but I must agree with only reload only brass cases with one primer hole (boxer primed) I have not got as long a case life out of nickel plated brass as normal brass cases over time you will learn that watching head stamps will help make sorting brass faster

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Send me all the steel and aluminum cases you don't want. I reload them all....

Disclaimer-this is my opinion and yours may vary.
Please start another thread on this. I would like to read about what you are doing and what you have found out. I have never explored this as I was told that steel and aluminum cases did not do well in both the reloading phase or to repeated firings.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Done.

I have had issues with some WCC crimped primer NATO brass. I sort these out, other brass loads fine for me. Its only the crimped primer stuff that I don't care for.

Disclaimer-this is my opinion and yours may vary.

·
Premium Member
6,001 Posts
I have heard the aluminum doesn't survive a second loading, the steel can be reloaded if it is boxer-primed, which much of it actually is, but you don't want to load it hot and you only get two or three loadings out of it, compared to the several times most brass will hold up to. It isn't dangerous to reload it, it will simply fail (crack at the neck), the same way regular brass does, much sooner.

As far as brass, you will basically have to try what you have and see. A-Merc is definitely crap by all accounts that I have ever come across, and just about every other brand has had their bad batches here and there, so you can't really say that all of X is good or bad. Everything from brass that won't resize all the way ( I don't mean all the way down either), to primer pockets that are loose after the first shot. All you can do is try it out and see how it goes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.