Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i find myself desiring a classic styled single action 45LC revolver.

thinking ruger vaquero is an obvious option, but price is a consideration. I have zero interest in shooting hot loads, its going to be a range toy because i like shooting wheel guns.

who has one, what do you have, and what do you like/dislike about it.

·
Vendor
2,824 Posts
I have an old D-max Sidewinder, the predecessor to the BFR before Magnum Research bought out D-max. I absolutely love it. Sadly, I don't think I have had it out in quite some time. It's been a sitter more than a shooter.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I have a couple of "old model" Vaquero's and love'em. They are virtually indestructible. The New Vaquero's are built closer to the size of the original Colt's and are NOT rated for the "Ruger/Contender" load levels in most manuals. I know alot of Cowboy Action Shooters that shoot the Uberti clones and love them too. They are true Colt clones being almost identical to the originals and alot lighter.

Contact Longarm4146(I think that's his name on here). He is and has been an active CAS for 20 some years and has a fairly new gunshop in Eden(no too terribly far from you). He may have some for you to fondle and he's a super nice guy too.

C.S.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I got a bird head Vaquero, a Blackhawk, and a Beretta Stampede. Love all of them. The Beretta is made by Uberti, as is most if not all of the EMF guns. Uberti makes some great guns. The Rugers are hard to beat though too, built like a Mack truck.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a new vaquero I got about 4 or 5 years back. Has less than 50 rds through it but its accurate and has very little recoil. Its nice and beefy and I just love the click you get when you pull the hammer.

·
Registered
657 Posts
If you do not want to shoot hot loads, there are several that you might want to consider.
---Rugeo New Vaquero. It is very handy and has the cylinder index on the ejection port for easy unloading. I have one for my Fast Draw revolver. I also occasionally use it in Cowboy shooting. I use mainly old Vaqueros for most of my Cowboy shooting because I like 44 mag and 44-40 for that game since I have better rifles in those chamberings. The price is probably the lowest of the three I reccomend.
---USFA Rodeo. They are very nice Colt clones at a reasonable price. I have heard several people say that it is the gun Colt wish they made. I have two in 45 Colt for Cowboy shooting. You can go to better finishes in other USFA handguns if you like very pretty guns.
---Colt SAA. You will pay a bit more but you will have a Colt. I have one in 44-40 that is one of my favorite handguns. It just feels right. The initial cost of the handgun will a small part of the total cost of years of shooting pleasure.

·
Disposable apparently
12,243 Posts
I have the 5.5" Blackhawk convertible. The .45ACP cylinder is stupid fun to shoot. Cheap and low recoil.

It is not classically styled though in the strictest sense of the phrase. It is a beast of a revolver that handles loads hotter than it sounds like you desire. I bought it, and a Rossi 92 in .45 Colt to hunt with.

For your purposes a Vaquero is likely the way to go. New model for lighter weight, older model if you think there is ever a chance you wanna hotrod the cartridge.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
215 Posts
I own the Ruger New Vaquero in .357, which I use for Cowboy shooting. I like the New Vaquero hands down over the old model. You don't need to modify a single thing on the gun to have a wonderful shooter. As a previous post said, the cylinder indexes perfectly for ejection and loading, unlike the "old" model which required a parts change to get that right. The the Ruger "lawyer text" is on the underside of the barrel, out of sight. Plus, being that the frame/cylinder is closer in size to the original Colt, the gun just "feels" better in the hand than the old Vaquero. No, you won't hot-rod loads in this gun, but why would you want to? Oh, and I have the stainless model that is virtually maintenance-free, and is polished to look like nickel. I think it looks great.

If you haven't handled one, you may want to try the grip on a Bisley model before you buy. For some reason, Ruger prices the Bisley models MUCH higher than the "standard" New Vaquero, but the grip sure does feel nice on the Bisley. It feels better in my hands, but I haven't been able to justify the added expense (yet).

Oh, and so I don't forget, the Ruger is made in the USA, unlike many of the Colt "clones". To each his own, but I will always buy American when I can find a product that suits me and is made in the USA.

Lou

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Buy Ruger when it comes to single actions. Your hand will be worn out long before you will ever need to service a Ruger whereas the foreign made SAA's are on a down hill slide the day you purchase one.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
When I was shooting CAS I noticed that the "Colt clones" broke on occasion; springs, etc. I never saw a Ruger break. I shot Ruger Vaqueros and never had a problem with them (except when I knocked the front sight off by banging it against a table!).

·
Registered
171 Posts
I also got a Ruger New Model Vaquero in .357 about a year ago. I was lucky and found it used at Mace's Sports. WOW, do I LOVE that gun. It just feels great in the hand, the trigger is magical, and the it's real fun to shoot. I'm like you - not a real CAS guy, but I love plinking with it. Highly recommended.

-Amdrew

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.