Why are so many unwilling to ship a firearm? | Carolina Shooters Club

Why are so many unwilling to ship a firearm?

Discussion in 'Club News | How To's | Issues & Suggestions' started by kstephens, Aug 26, 2020.

1. kstephens

kstephens Registered Member

One thing that separates this site from the few others I frequent is this simple thing.
    Shipping.
    Why are so many here unwilling, perhaps unable, to ship?
    How is it easier to meet a stranger in a parking lot an exchange cash than to take a box to the post office?
    Here is what the ATF "Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide"' (ATF P 5300.4) says:
    A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state.

Simply put. A person without an FFL can mail a long gun to a resident of the same state and to an FFL in any state.

Secondly, the idea that a firearm is " IN YOUR NAME" I'd a complete myth.
    When one purchased a firearm from an FFL a 4473 form was used and a background check via FBI instacheck was made. During that phone call the firearms make model or serial number WAS NOT GIVEN.
    no matter what TV and movies purported, the only firearms related information in the check is " long gun or handgun".

As to shipping out of state to an ffl.
    If you can accept a text, email or letter in the mail you can ship to an FFL.
    The FFL sends their info and you can verify by the ATF website.
    Transfer of funds is the absolute most simple thing. Safer than cash.
    Postal money order, Wells Fargo, bank check, zelle, VENMO....the list goes on and on.
    I'd bet there's at least a dozen deals I've passed because someone in Hickory or Jacksonville wouldn't ship.
    If your not willing to, your limiting your audience and market greatly and likely reducing how much you could be getting for your item.

lexxerd likes this.
  2. commodore

commodore Registered Member

I have shipped several rifles and all I can say is I hope the USPS fails. If you are a business owner, or manager, and want to define the lowest end of acceptable customer service all you need to do is go to the post office in Chapel Hill, Carrboro, or Pittsboro, all in NC and attempt to mail a rifle.

sawyer and Adam Hewlin like this.
  3. pineoak

pineoak Registered Member

Cary as well. The postmaster there just doesn't give a damn how badly his employees perform.

This is for non-firearm PO Box, shipping, mailing, etc.

4. Ed334

Ed334 Registered Member

We are being watched. Edward Snowden lives in Russia. Ring a bell?

5. fsj80

fsj80 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Their items, their rules. If the seller doesn’t want to ship and prefers face-to-face transactions, that is their prerogative.

MurphyLong, Chambered and jodyisaacs like this.
  6. Damn_Yankee

Damn_Yankee Active Member

Have you ever shipped a $500+ item only to have the shipper lose that item? Now you have to fight with the shipper to get your money back, which they are so quick to do, plus give the money back to the buyer. No thanks Won't do that again.

fsj80 and Adam Hewlin like this.
  7. FrankCastle44

FrankCastle44 Registered Member

Pineoak and Commodore, I promise the damn usps is no better in Western NC, I could rant all day.

Adam Hewlin likes this.
  8. Gundude274

Gundude274 Registered Member

If the firearm was purchased from an FLL there is a paper trail back to the original buyer. The serial number and make/model are recorded on the 4473. The newer forms have it on the top of the front page but it's always been there on the third page.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/4...n-record-over-counter-atf-form-53009/download

As to shipping a gun to an individual, I'm not sure of the legality of it but I'm not shipping a gun to some random person off the internet. I may ship to an FFL but some FFls will not accept guns from a non FFL.

onelow89s10 and jodyisaacs like this.
  9. Jarheade4

Jarheade4 Registered Member

I personally want ship a firearm due to the cost my FFL charges. $55 for a handgun and god only knows what it would cost for a long gun. I've reviewed the laws posted on Gun Broker and you have to have an FFL license to ship guns through any carrier to another licensed dealer. You do run a risk I will admit doing face-to-face transactions. That part I can't deny.

10. ka30270

ka30270 Registered Member

I don’t have a problem with it. I’ve shipped guns and bows all over.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jarheade4 likes this.
  11. jodyisaacs

jodyisaacs Registered Member

Yeah... been there. I have yet to find a single FFL in my area willing to accept a shipment from a non FFL. I had a gun I was eyeing, and the seller would not ship through his FFL, even if I paid for him to do so. He would only ship directly to an FFL. After calling all local (and several not so local) FFLs, I gave up. Ended up finding another identical gun for a better deal anyway. I kinda like the face to face thing myself. I've met a lot of good people that way. Had a lot of good conversations (about guns mainly...lol) in parking lots.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Chambered and fsj80 like this.
  12. gride1776

gride1776 Registered Member

It's just to much of a hassle boxing and shipping. And don't even mention dealing with the idiots at my local post office. They have already lost 3 packages of ours in the last 5 weeks. If you want what I have your coming to me to get it. It only took me one time of meeting someone to learn my lesson. Drove for an hour an half and the asshat never showed up.

13. Virtuaguyver

Virtuaguyver Registered Member

☝️ All of the above. Its too much hassle than what its worth. Tried it before, if you haven't gotten a issue shipping yet, you soon will

14. gride1776

gride1776 Registered Member

Exactly right! It took me 37 phone calls before anyone answered at my local post office. Finally got to speak with the post master and she told me they had been operating on a skeleton crew for the last 3 months since trump cut funding. She was very apologetic and after 3 days found one of our lost packages.

Virtuaguyver likes this.
  15. bennnn

bennnn All bleeding stops eventually Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

Moved to a discussion forum.

Virtuaguyver likes this.
  16. Fortkevin2

Fortkevin2 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

It’s a PITA as others mentioned to box it and ship it. Takes time which is valuable these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Sevenshot

Sevenshot Registered Member

I'm not opposed to it, but very reluctant. Mail in my town is 50/50 and that isn't an exaggeration.

18. Ebone

Ebone Registered Member

enough inexpensive things get lost in the mail, even if only temporarily... not willing to change a firearm

19. roger purcella

roger purcella Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I live in hertford nc and have no problem shipping or receiving

20. MurphyLong

MurphyLong sudo Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

If someone wants to buy a firearm I'm selling, there is NOTHING ensuring they are getting what I'm claiming to sell, and nothing guaranteeing that I am getting the funds as promised.

fsj80 likes this.
  21. craigp

craigp Not Subscribed

For an individual shipping the item, do you want payment before shipping? For the buyer, are you willing to send off money with the hope that you won't get ripped off? I guess the reason more people won't ship is the risk of loss either loss of the item in transit or paying for it and never receiving it or shipping it and not getting paid. So it's just easier to meet someone and you pay me and I hand you the item. Deal done. Then you stand in the parking lot for the next 30-40 minutes and talk about your favorite topic, guns.

22. magicmanmb

magicmanmb Registered Member

After shipping a Glock 17 from Myrtle Beach main office it was an NYPD low # that was a test gun to decide if the 17 or 19 was going to be the issue. They opened it repacked it, counter agent took custody and it’s gone forever. Since one sold last year with no provenance for $8,000 it’s sickening, it took 3 weeks of arguing to get $1,500 Insurance it vanished in Florence SC 72 miles before it vanished Insurance. I had a 1897 riot gun shipped from Goldsboro NC to Myrtle Beach FFL 3 days for it to arrive FFL to FFL We paid for overnight 3 years later still trying to get the overnight fee. Some of the orders I could walk and get them. I actually paid an extra $25 to a guy to meet me at an FFL at the state line on a trade, I went ahead went in with a friend that has a warehouse/office and got licensed. He had never held a firearm prior to that.

23. Lawmaker

Lawmaker Member

I just shipped one. Will never do it again. Too much of a hassle.

24. cardinalguns

cardinalguns Member

I ship at least 5 firearms per week, a mix of long guns, handguns, and lower receivers. Some companies do far more quantity than I will very little hassle.

Here is what I have learned:

First, I no longer take check payments or money order- too many deadbeats refusing to pay. Second, the gun does not ship until I get paid. Most folks in the gun business are honest and upstanding. Your mileage may vary.

My most used carrier is UPS. I stopped using FedEx because they were training their employees contradictory to company policy. You must understand company policy and be willing to challenge the idiot behind the counter at the UPS Customer Center. NEVER use the UPS Store, as they are independent franchises charging what the market will bear, and they can deny a firearm shipment. You don't even need an account. You can fill out the label at the Customer Service Center or print your own label online, securely package the firearm, tape the box along the edges and seams, deliver the box, and off it goes. Track the shipment to destination- DONE.

There is a difference between company policy and federal law. You may have to educate the idiot behind the counter on this. UPS and FedEx allow a private individual to ship long guns and handguns to a manufacturer or dealer, although handguns have to go Next Day Air. Pure profit motive, nothing else. A private individual can also send ammo via UPS or FedEx, separate from a firearm, by affixing an ORM-D label. All ammo MUST go via Ground shipment method.

USPS gets the handguns because I am an FFL and can use this method. Private individuals can ship long guns via USPS to a manufacturer or dealer. There is a USPS document known as the Domestic Mailing Manual which details all this. Once again, you may have to educate the idiot behind the counter, plus their supervisor.

25. lampmicheal

lampmicheal Hall of Shame

I think i prefer shipping from my FFL to the seller FFL and sometimes i ship via FedEx.

26. jodyisaacs

jodyisaacs Registered Member

My biggest issue would obviously be theft/ disappearance into the ether. I have had several shipments never make it to me lately, none gun related... but still. UPS, FedEx, and USPS are having big problems right now. I have dealt with more than one over insurance claims. FYI... the insurance is a scam. Never received a payout on anything damaged. Lost a customer due to this.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

27. ladder13

ladder13 Registered Member

I’ve shipped a number of handguns out of the UPS hub on Atlantic Ave, never an issue.

SkydivnShooter likes this.