Why can't you conceal carry at Falls Lake State Park? | Carolina Shooters Club

Why can't you conceal carry at Falls Lake State Park?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carry | National 2A Laws' started by deadstock, Jun 14, 2020.

1. deadstock

deadstock Registered Member

I was under the impression that you could legally carry with a concealed carry permit in a state park, however, on the State park website it says you cannot have a firearm for any reason at Falls, Kerr, and Jordan Lake.

Why is this?

Was hoping to camp there but it's a big negative if I can't carry.

2. SkydivnShooter

SkydivnShooter Staff Member Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

The problem with Falls, Kerr and Jordan is that the property on which they reside is owned by the federal government and controlled by the US Army Corps of Engineers. The state leases the property from them.

There is a US Code, Title 36 to the Code of Federal Regulations (Section 327.13, Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks) states “The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited.” USACE properties are included in the prohibition.

Since the law for concealed carry in NC State Parks passed, the NC Park Rangers have treated the situation as an educational issue. Teaching instead of arresting. Still, if you encounter a Ranger and follow the disclosure part of the law, you'll be informed of the law and asked to store your handgun in your vehicle, hopefully.

Really, the law is unconstitutional and unenforceable. Here is a case that happened in Idaho where the USACE gave up trying to enforce it...

https://mslegal.org/press-releases/...corps-of-engineers-declines-to-pursue-appeal/

engiNEeReD likes this.
  3. deadstock

That's helpful, thank you. I did not know that about federal property/state parks. Really confusing why a state park would not just have to be on state land. And also confusing that either way, conceal carry with a permit is not allowed.
    Are Rangers allowed to check for such things? I will personally probably just avoid those parks all together because of this, but just curious.

4. SkydivnShooter

SkydivnShooter Staff Member Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

Rangers, like any other LEO, must have "reasonable suspicion" to detain and search.

They can't just stop you and ask if you are carrying concealed unless you've given them cause to.

5. Sean Alexander

Sean Alexander Registered Member

I work for the corps and yea they are incredibly anti gun there is legislation to reverse it but like the 100's of other legal action it won't amount to much

6. willie b

willie b Member

That states it pretty clearly.

I live very near Falls Lake and hike the MST trail all of the time. The WRC say on their maps that hunters may encounter hikers on the MST. As a hunter, I always thought I could carry concealed on WRC land. As for Camping that sounds like it is an other story except for the fact that the MST trails go right through the camping areas. On page 4 of 6 of the attached maps you can see the gaps in the Green shaded areas of WRC are broken up where the State Parks are. The dotted line (MST trail) goes right through all of it. I wonder how that would be managed by the State Park Rangers or WRC Officers?

https://www.wrcuatweb.org/Portals/0/Hunting/Game-Land-Maps/Piedmont/Butner-Falls-of-Neuse.pdf

7. deadstock

That's interesting and very confusing. The sites we were looking at are their "hike in sites" and are literally right on those trails. The tents being a few feet off of them.
    So you're saying that carry (at least open carry) must be legal on those trails?

Very odd