Wilmington, NC and Columbia, SC shops ... | Carolina Shooters Club

Wilmington, NC and Columbia, SC shops ...

Discussion in 'Dealer & Firearm Reviews | Critiques' started by Rooster, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Rooster

Rooster Registered Member

I've got a couple of favorite shops, one up in Wilmington and several in Columbia, SC. Wonder if any of y'all have frequented any of these?

Shooter's Choice in Wilmington, NC owned by Russell Byrd - great guy, great little shop and range. Caters mostly to the personal defense crowd, plus they are an Ithaca factory authorized dealer - those are some pretty pump shotguns. But they have a wide range of everything imaginable for the personal defense customer.

Shooter's Choice in Columbia, SC owned by Ronnie Thrailkill and his partners. All good guys in there and they too have been doing it for a long time. They have a strong inventory of everything imaginable in both hunting, target and personal defense lines plus a lot of used firearms because they buy from Estate sales. Highly recommended.

Sportsman's Warehouse in Pineygrove Road in Columbia/St Andrews, SC. One of my favorite stores. Huge inventory, great prices. Gun snobs behind the counter but, meh, that can be everywhere you go these days.

Palmetto State Firearms. I've known these guys since they were a little bitty online store working out of their garage and I'd meet them at the Piggly Wiggly parking lot off I-26. These days they are huge and they are doing business nationwide. They've got the big warehouse over in Northeast Columbia and then their brick and mortar store, along with their corporate headquarters, off of Fernandina Road (frontage road) behind Sportsman's Warehouse. It is amazing how big they've gotten in the past ten years - something like a twenty million a year operation I've been told.

Anyone else do business with any of the above places?

PS: One other place I really like, but it is in Sumter, SC - a place called Jim's Gun Shop. He must have over 1,000 used firearms in there, more than a 1,000 longarms alone and a ton of milsurp stuff. He's been there forever and I love that old man. He's getting old, still cantankerous as all get-out but if you ever visit his store you will not forget it. Wall-to-wall every sort of firearm imaginable and then some.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  2. Smitty

Smitty Registered Member

Oh yeah, I frequent both Palmetto State Armory and Shooter's choice. Re-took my CWP at PSA after I let it lapse. Buying my GF shooting lessons from Amy, the girl who taught my CWP class, for Christmas. Girl is 5 feet tall and maybe 100LBS soaking wet but is bad as can be with the Kimber 45 she packs on her hip. Been thinking of taking their AR-15 classes myself. My father did business with shooters choice when he was still alive for as long as I remember.

3. Brangus

Brangus Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Been in Shooter's Choice in Wilmington several times. Nice guys and helpful in every way. They really help female shooters in a big way.

4. Rooster

Rooster Registered Member

Yes they do. They are very female friendly there. Russell runs a great shop via Ricky ... Ricky is sort of the big guy, the GM of the place and they do a great job there. Highly recommended.

5. Nessy

Nessy U. S. Military

Shoot at the range at Shooter's Choice every now and then, but it is always packed on weekends. Nice firearm selection available for rent.

6. 613jmm

613jmm U. S. Military Club Subscribed

Although they do have deals every once in a while, I have found the Shooter's Choice in Wilmington to be quite expensive on most of their guns. I remember looking for a Springfield Armory Range Officer because I got sick of it staring at me from almost every American Rifleman magazine I was getting at the time, and I happened to be in Wilmington so I stopped in to see if they had one. Surprise, they did, but something in the back of my head told me to keep looking. I went up the road to Rocky Point Guns and got the same gun, the same day, for over $100 less. $739 versus the $869 SC wanted for it.

I also remember after the first election, when things were cooling down quite a bit, and more of the Gen4 Glocks were hitting the streets. They had some G19s in the case for more than Rocky Point normally sells theirs for, so I asked if they were willing to make any deals on one. The guy laughed at me and tried to get the others to do the same. He tried saying I was crazy with everyone buying guns right now. Thing is, I would have been happy if they knocked $15 off their price to match Rocky Point, and they had what appeared to be the same guns sitting in the shelves the last two or three times I had been in there. So apparently, the election wasn't moving their guns that much. They also had a Colt 6721 priced at $1950.00 during the election craze. I asked John at Rocky Point to order me one and he sold it to me for $1175.

7. the_right_reverend

the_right_reverend U. S. Military

stopped by Shooters Choice in ILM several years ago.......found them to be a bit pricey .......they must have had an off day the guy behind the counter was a real dick......never went back when I am in the area I'll stick with Rocky point