Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Wings of Gold 1990
6,752 Posts
This is unreal. I have no words for this.

·
Banned
3,959 Posts
Doesn't seem constitutional IMO.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Sounds like a good way for a trespasser to get shot.

·
Vendor
2,798 Posts
Nut cuttin time?

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
I think they would make good rimfire targets if found. Or finance the next gun purchase by selling them on ebay. Bad idea to try and sneak on someones land and screw around easy way to get shot, makes me think of texas where you can legally shoot a tresspasser.

·
Banned
389 Posts
If they are wireless I will find them. As a HAM radio operator we have equipment that locates anything transmitting a signal. Yes this is unconstitutional and getting waaaay out of hand. When will America wake up?

·
Banned
3,959 Posts
If it was my property they would have come back to missing camera's

·
Registered
453 Posts
As far as I understand it (from my time as an intern who worked with the feds) its the premiss of reasonable expectation of privacy. you have a reasonable expectation of privacy in your home, bathroom, car, maybe your backyard if you install a privacy fence. However your front yard is very typically openly visible to any one on the street, Officers and Agents do not have to have a warrants to sit in their cars and do surveillance on you and thats how the cameras came to be. Its much easier for cover to be blown sitting there than watching a secure online database of cameras.

Most of these cams go up on light/power poles.... put up by "power co" or "phone co" reps. They target areas visible from the street. This is not trespass because of the proximity of MOST power poles to the public right of way (the road and sidewalks.) It's not a violation of civil rights because you have no reasonable expectation of privacy in the areas targeted... Think of it like this... if your on the sidewalk in NY, or downtown Charlotte these days, do you expect to have any privacy? Probably not. What about a park? Nope. Same goes for any street or sidewalk in the nation even if its your residential street.

NC/Federal Wildlife officers use deer cams on private property all the time to stop poaching and illegal taking of game. ATF trespasses looking for moonshiners... not as frequent as in the past but still happens. The reasoning is again... that the area your hunting/shining in does not meet the same requirements for a reasonable expectation of privacy (complete privacy.) The premise of curtilage is that you have the right to attempt to stop people from infringing on your privacy, however as it is impossible to secure large acreage the same as a home or vehicle it does not meet the same requirements. (rough explanation)

While I do not agree with the idea of these officers being able to go where they please, if your not doing dumb stuff on your property its not an issue. One thing a lot of people fail to remember is that the vast majority of agents and officers are JUST LIKE US! They are not out to get you because you shoot, or collect guns, or drink on the weekends. These cameras cost THOUSANDS of dollars to use a week (secure wireless data transfers, secure websites, secure internet services, etc.) They are watching people we all want off the streets... Career Thieves, Possible Kidnappers, Drug traffickers/Manufacturers/Distributers, High Level Gang Members...

Sometimes I wonder why there are sooooo many skeptics in the gun community and I am sure that people who are on the outside looking in at all this stuff wonder why so many of us feel the need to be threatened by Law Enforcement.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
As far as I understand it (from my time as an intern who worked with the feds) its the premiss of reasonable expectation of privacy. you have a reasonable expectation of privacy in your home, bathroom, car, maybe your backyard if you install a privacy fence. However your front yard is very typically openly visible to any one on the street, Officers and Agents do not have to have a warrants to sit in their cars and do surveillance on you and thats how the cameras came to be. Its much easier for cover to be blown sitting there than watching a secure online database of cameras.

These cams go up on light/power poles.... put up by "power co" or "phone co" reps. They target areas visible from the street. This is not trespass because of the proximity of MOST power poles to the public right of way (the road and sidewalks.) It's not a violation of civil rights because you have no reasonable expectation of privacy in the areas targeted... Think of it like this... if your on the sidewalk in NY, or downtown Charlotte these days, do expect to have any privacy? Probably not. Same goes for any street or sidewalk in the nation even if its your residential street.

One thing a lot of people fail to remember is that the vast majority of agents and officers are JUST LIKE US! They are not out to get you because you shoot, or collect guns, or drink on the weekends. These cameras cost THOUSANDS of dollars to use a week (secure wireless data transfers, secure websites, secure internet services, etc.) They are watching people we all want off the streets... Career Thieves, Possible Kidnappers, Drug traffickers/Manufacturers/Distributers, High Level Gang Members...

Sometimes I wonder why there are sooooo many skeptics in the gun community and I am sure that people who are on the outside looking in at all this stuff wonder why so many of us feel the need to be threatened by Law Enforcement.
To me the big issue is that this is about surveillance without a warrant. Not that they're DOING surveillance, but that they're doing it without a check&balance...

My other beef is that you don't get to have any expectation of privacy anywhere but in the crapper or your house. They've abused that whole idea.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.