Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Les Deplorables
12,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woman shot by pistol kept under pillow

A Chester County woman got a rude awakening as she laid down to sleep late Tuesday night. The unidentified woman was shot in the face with a pistol under her pillow.

Plausible? I think not.

·
'Murica! eh?
7,479 Posts
Glock?

no guess not

The pistol was a .45 caliber Kimber, and is legally registered and owned by the husband
that text was right next to a photo of a snubby.

Yeah it's plausible for a single action pistol to discharge under a pillow when you futz around getting comfortable. Not gonna play Mythbusters with that or anything but I can see it happening.

·
Banned
3,753 Posts
I can barely operate my alarm clock when half-asleep/waking- I would NOT want to have a handgun under the pillow.

This story aside, IMO this is a stupid place to keep a gun....

·
I'm told I'm pretty awesome...
8,590 Posts
Another case of an ND, not an accident. You don't bump into a 1911 under a pillow and set it off. You CAN grab one from under a pillow and if the safety is off, pull the trigger by muscle memory very easily...

·
Les Deplorables
12,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What kind of idiot keeps a firearm under their pillow?
I used to keep one under a pillow on the bed when I lived alone but it was kept in a retention holster
I think the holster is the important part; not whether it's in the bed or on the nightstand. There was a case where a guy was dreaming, grabbed the unholstered gun from the nightstand and shot himself.

If you can reach it in your sleep, keep it holstered.

·
Banned
13,863 Posts
I've had a loaded hand gun under or next to my pillow for going on 15 years. Wife has one other side as well. Neither are holstered and both are glocks. Never once grabbed either on accident.

Bottom line. Some people are idiots.

·
Banned
3,753 Posts
I've had a loaded hand gun under or next to my pillow for going on 15 years. Wife has one other side as well. Neither are holstered and both are glocks. Never once grabbed either on accident.

See - that's a problem....

Bed should be a place where some "accidental grabbing" is not only safe, but encouraged. ;-)

·
Banned
8,282 Posts

I feel like a lot of the people saying it's a bad idea are some that've never slept countless nights spooning a loaded rifle in a sleeping bag. I think I remember a hearing about a dude in Iraq that shot himself accidentally during a nightmare in his fighting position. I have pretty vivid and frequent service related dreams, so my wife made me stop keeping a pistol in the bed and it's moved to the nightstand, which is still within arms' reach, just to prevent that very thing from happening.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.