Work Knife sharpener | Carolina Shooters Club

Work Knife sharpener

Discussion in 'Knives and Gear' started by THE PUNISHER, Dec 4, 2016.

1. THE PUNISHER

THE PUNISHER Member

Any one use one? I have bought one and with a little practice this thing will put a edge on a knife, axe, and to my amazement my fillet knife......never been able to sharpen one of those things.

2. Peter Griffin

Peter Griffin Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

I've never used one. Been wanting to try one. I like the selection of belts available. There's even a leather strop/polishing belt for it

3. bspitt

bspitt Active Member

Be careful on the pointed tip...it will round them off if your not careful.

pirate and Neckball like this.
  4. THE PUNISHER

THE PUNISHER Member

Yes I found out the hard way, but with my history of fn'ing things up i practice on some cheap stuff first. Love the way it's "rounds the edge".

5. pinkbunny

pinkbunny Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Is it this one?
    http://www.worksharptools.com/sharpeners-28/power-sharpeners/combo-knife-sharpener.html

A few tips, if I may:

-When sharpening your knife, lift the knife up at the handle when going into the curve of the blade, to keep the angle the same into the curve(belly).
    -Lift the knife tip off the paper when it is about halfway across the paper. That way, you don't put a lot of downward force against the tip at the edge of the sandpaper, and remove the tip.
    -The website mentioned it uses (2) p120 grit to sharpen. 120 grit is only good for the coarsest of sharpening. See if you can source 400-600 for the initial forming of the edge, and maybe around 1000-1200 for the final sanding.
    -get something soft, felt pad, balsa wood, etc. Run you knife lightly across that to knock off the burr
    -Ceramic hones will have their pores clogged with metal dust, and that looks like it'd be hard to clean that away. Pretty much useless once clogged, so instead of using the hone, get a leather belt( like this: https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Honing-Polishing-Original-Machine/dp/B018F49IJ6) and use some jewelers rouge to make the final edge.

Neckball and CardiacColt68 like this.
  6. pirate

pirate Ad Victoriam Club Subscribed

7. Shortfuze

Shortfuze U. S. Military Club Subscribed

I freakin love mine!

Neckball likes this.
  8. 2MRF

2MRF Registered Member

This product is really good for anyone who doesn't know how to sharpen a knife and surely will come in handy if your knife is dulled beyond usable sharpness. (No slam, just a fact) Most blades are hardened to a point and care should be taken to not overheat with a motorized sharpener. I realize this has a belt and should not cause a problem but care should always be taken to prevent removing the temper from the metal.