Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I screwed up and gave my brother my Remington 700 SPS and kept the longer, heavier barreled 700 that I have set up in a pillared and bedded Bell and Carlson stock with a nice Leupold. My HB .308 will drive tacks all day, but it isn't the rifle for a tree stand.
Looking for a lightweight, handy .308 to replace the one I don't have any more. Want .308 for ammo conformity, but willing to be a bit flexible on manufacturer and model. Not looking for a show gun, don't mind some scratches. I'm going to put a 4x scope on it, so it can be a clean barrel without sights or have a cheapie scope on it already.

Might trade for my target gun, but would want some cash coming my way.

What you got out there? I'm north of Winston.

-Scott

·
Registered
126 Posts
what is your trade value? got one i would consider trading. was an adl, now is a dbm(factory setup w/ 3 mags), installed in a sps varmint stock, also has a aftermarket bolt knob installed. i can send pics if interested.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would consider cash or trade value of $500 without scope, but with mounts and rings. The ability to reload from a magazine doesn't add value in my application (deer hunting), sorry.

Hearing good things about Howa 1500's (and equivalents marketed by Weatherby, S&W and Mossberg)

-Scott

·
Premium Member
7,961 Posts
Scott, I have a Rem 700 in 308, 20" barrel, XMark Pro trigger, camo Rem stock w/Nikon 3x9x40 w/BDC in Leupold mounts for 700.00. The entire rig weighs under 7#. It has <50 rounds on it and I have the "one hole load" receipe that I worked up for it......

Pm if interested

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Look into the Ruger American. Under $400 at Wallyworld. Would seem to fit your criteria. Marlin also makes something in a similar price range ?X 1 -7?

·
Premium Member
6,463 Posts
I would have just cut your heavy barrel off to 18 to 20" it would have been a real shooter.
Next to that I would get a standard SPS 700 in 308 and cut the barrel back to 18".
Best of both worlds. It gives you a good mid weight barrel in a short package.
See if you get a 16-20" most are a light weight and they never shoot worth crap but the 24-26" are a mid weight and you cut it to the lenget you want making it the same as a stock 18"-20" barrel but just a little larger, stiffer and better grouping for the most part.
How do I know that, I can show you a stack of barrel ends ranging in the 4-8" length that I have in the shop......

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sold the 700 without scope for $530 and went to the gun show at the Metrolina. Contrary to expectations, found a deal. There were very few .308s there, but one was a Weatherby Vanguard Predator with scope. Dealer had just taken it hunting and only had a couple dozen sighting and one dead deer rounds through it. Perfect condition, great trigger, not a scratch and with box. He kept the scope, sold me the rifle with rings (which my old scope fit perfectly) for $550 OTD and tossed in a very nice sling. Not quite as light as I'd wanted, but seems to be a very nice rifle and the price seems very right; I'm happy!

-Scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.